A high level of skill required to be an elite sailor. Body size and composition (anthropometry) is less important, but not insignificant. Body shape can affect balance and excess body fat increases fatigue. See out discussion of the Fitness Components for Sailing.
Suggested Anthropometric tests for Sailors
- skinfold testing for measuring excess body fat.
- body weight to monitor body fat and muscle mass changes.
Anthropometry and Olympic Athletes
London 2012 Olympic Games
Here is some information from the analysis of the anthropometric data (height, weight and age) from the sailing participants at the London 2012 Olympic Games. The sailors were of similar height and weight to the average Olympian.
|Sport||Age||Height (cm)||Weight (kg)||BMI|
|OVERALL AVERAGE (all sports)||26.1||176.9||72.8||23.3|
Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Here is average data from the analysis of the anthropometric data of the sailors at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
|Age (years)||height (m)||weight (kg)||BMI|
|AVERAGE (all sports)||26.8||1.77||72.0||22.9|
- Olympic Games Anthropometry for other sports in 2012
- All about fitness testing, including anthropometry testing
- Fitness Components for Sailing
- Sailing Polls
- about Sailing