The decathlon is an event in track and field which consists of ten track and field events. The word decathlon is from the Greek word deka which means ten, and athlos which means feat. The men's decathlon is an event at the Olympic Games.
Most decathlon events are held over two days. Each participant receives a score based on their performance in each event, with the winner the athlete with the highest total score.
There are two divisions, the men’s decathlon and the women’s decathlon.
There is also a one hour decathlon. In this version, the athletes have to start the last of ten events within an hour after the start of the first event.
- Icosathlon — a double decathlon consisting of 20 events, including the 10 traditional decathlon events with 10 additional track and field events.
- Heptathlon — a women's track and field multi-event comprising 7 events.
- Tetradecathlon — a double heptathlon consisting of 14 events, including the 7 traditional heptathlon events with 7 additional track and field events.
- Athletics Pentathlon — a no longer held event comprising long jump, javelin, 200-meter run, discus, and 1500-meter run.
- Modern Pentathlon — an event in the Olympics that comprises five events: fencing, 200m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a combined event of pistol shooting and 3200m cross country run.
- More track and field events
- Decathlon at the Olympic Games
- Are decathletes the world's greatest athletes?
- Rate the Factors for Success in the Decathlon
- List of Multi-Sport Sports — sports involving two or more sports.
- The Jumps Decathlon — a fitness test comprising 10 speed and power tests
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports