Anthropometry for Handball
Handball players require good speed and agility and a whole lot of other physical attributes. Body size and composition are some of the factors that make a successful handball player.
Suggested Anthropometry tests for Handball Players
- skinfold testing for measuring excess body fat.
- body weight to monitor body fat and muscle mass changes.
- height and arm span, a greater reach can help the handball player in reaching for the ball.
- hand span — bigger hands are advantageous for handling the ball.
Anthropometry and Olympic Athletes
London 2012 Olympic Games
Here is some information from the analysis of the anthropometric data (height, weight and age) from the handball participants at the London 2012 Olympic Games. The handball players were found to be taller and heavier than the average Olympian.
|Sport||Age||Height (cm)||Weight (kg)||BMI|
|OVERALL AVERAGE (all sports)||26.1||176.9||72.8||23.3|
Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Here is average data from the analysis of the anthropometric data of the handball players at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
|Age (years)||height (m)||weight (kg)||BMI|
|AVERAGE (all sports)||26.8||1.77||72.0||22.9|
- fitness components for handball
- Olympic Games Anthropometry for other sports in 2012
- All about fitness testing, including anthropometry testing
- Handball Polls