Fitness for American Football
The physical demands of American football are great and varied, and only the exceptional athletes reach the pinnacle of the sport. A good football player will be big, strong and powerful, and also fast and agile. The relative importance of these physical attributes will vary with playing position.
- Training - See the discussion of the fitness components required for football.
- Assessment - A fitness testing protocol for football should at least assess the physical attributes of speed, strength, power and agility. We have a list of fitness tests that we believe are a good starting point for testing football players. There are already well established testing protocols for football, that used for the annual NFL scouting combine, and the Football SPARQ protocol to assess the potential of young athletes. To see what standards are required, you can compare the test results to these Fitness Testing Norms and top results of the NFL combine.
- Fitness Tests for Football
- About the NFL Combine
- Football SPARQ Fitness Rating System.
- Some Fitness Testing Norms for football.
- A discussion of the fitness components required for football.
- About Fitness and Fitness Testing for sports.