Estadio Jornalista Mario Filho Stadium
The Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho, commonly called Estádio do Maracanã (Maracanã stadium) is located in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The stadium had a record paid attendance at the final game of the 1950 FIFA World Cup of 199,854, however the stadium currently seats only 88,992 spectators. It is still the largest stadium in South America.
The stadium was upgraded and used for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. For the 2016 Olympic Games, the stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremony, and the football final, though unlike in many previous Olympic Games, the athletics events were held at a different location, the João Havelange Olympic Stadium.
- The Maracanã stadium is listed as one of our 7 Wonders of the Sporting World.
- Other stadiums for the 2014 FIFA World Cup
- About the 2016 Olympic Games
- All stadiums list
- The Maracanã stadium is one of the top 10 largest stadiums in the world
- About every Olympic Games Stadium
- Sport in Brazil