Pumpkin and Feta Risotto
Risotto is such a versatile dish; it's your imagination that holds it back from being suitable for any occasion. This vegetarian version is fabulous for serving to vegetarians, or as a side for a meat main meal. To reduce the calorie density of the dish, add another non-starchy vegetable.
- Olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- Butternut pumpkin 500g, cut in cubes
- 8 Mushrooms, chopped in quarters
- Spinach leaves (1/2 packet)
- Vegetable stock 1 litre
- Arborio rice 250g (small packet)
- Parmesan cheese 250g grated
- Low-fat feta cheese 50g
- Parsley bunch
- Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook for 5 minutes or until tender and lightly golden.
- Add rice and pumpkin and stir until combined.
- Add 1 ladle of stock, stirring until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add mushrooms.
- Gradually add all of the stock, one ladle at a time, while stirring continuously.
- When the rice is tender, turn off the heat, add the cheeses, and spinach.
- Let the pot stand for 5 minutes after stirring everything through. Divide between serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
A cooking class is a great way to give athletes more confidence in the kitchen, teach some cooking skills and educate them a little along the way. See our guide to conducting a cooking class, with example menus which includes this recipe.
- How to Conduct a Cooking Class
- Example Menus for Cooking Classes
- More Athlete Recipes
- Recommended Cookbooks for Athletes
- About the Survival Cookbook series
- Resources for the Sports Dietitian