Quadriceps Stretch - side lying
Stretching exercises are used in injury prevention, injury rehabilitation, preparation (warm up) for exercise, and for recovery after exercise. Here is a simple stretch for the quadriceps muscles (on the front of the leg)
Muscles Stretched: quadriceps
- Lie on your side with the lower arm extended and head resting on it. Your thighs should be side by side.
- Contract the abdominals to stabilize the pelvis
- Bring the uppermost ankle back towards the buttocks.
- Reach back with the free hand and grab hold of your ankle (keeping the leg parallel to the ground).
- Press your hip forward and slightly extend the hip.
- Get to the point of a mild stretch and hold.
- Repeat for each leg
- Use a towel wrapped around your foot if you can't reach your foot comfortably.
- Description of the quadriceps muscle group
- See stretching guidelines for further instructions.
- Complete stretching list
- why Spider-Man?
- See also tests to Measure Flexibility
- See all flexibility images in the Stretching Exercises Clipart Image Collection