Substituting Foods to Make a Healthier Meal
If you are trying to lose weight or to eat healthy foods, but still want to enjoy all your favorite dishes, here are a few ideas for substituting ingredients with healthy alternatives.
- Use only half as much as recommended.
- Cook in a non-stick wok or pan.
- Use cooking spray.
- Brush on oil sparingly rather than pouring it in.
- Instead of shortcrust or puff pastry, use filo and spray lightly with oil between every second sheet.
- Brush with orange juice, skim milk or water instead of oil.
Melted Cheese topping
- Half the quantity of cheese and mix with breadcrumbs, rolled oats or crushed cornflakes.
- Use less of a more strongly flavored cheese such as parmesan.
Casserole and Curry meat
- Half the quantity of meat that is in the recipe, and replace with drained canned beans.
- Serve smaller portions of pasta, noodles, couscous or rice.
- Use canned, evaporated, low fat milk with cornflour.
- Instead of sour cream, use yogurt mixed with a little bit if cornflour or arrowroot.
Salt & Flavor
- Leave out the salt, especially if there is already other salty food in the dish, such as soy sauce, stock powder or bacon.
- Use fresh herbs, chili, garlic, lemon zest, ginger or curry powder to boost up the flavor
- Use vinegar or lemon juice mixed with extra-virgin olive oil.
- A Guide to Dining Out – Good and Bad Menu Choices
- Healthy Guide to Eating Take Out / Takeaway
- Tips and articles about changing to a Healthy Diet