South Africa at the World Cup
South Africa have three times qualified for the world cup (1998, 2002 and 2010). Each time they did not they did not progress beyond round 1. In 2010 they became the first host nation to be eliminated in the first round.
- The country's football team is known as Bafana Bafana - "the boys, the boys" in isiZulu - a name that comes from the fans' cry that went up during the squad's triumph at the 1996 African Cup of Nations, hosted in South Africa.
- Without a great history of participation at the World Cup, South Africa were chosen to host the event in 2010. As automatic qualifiers, they were one of the lowest ranked teams of the 32 qualifiers.
- 2010 World Cup in South Africa
- South Africa at the Women's World Cup
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in South Africa