Japan at the World Cup
Japan have participated in six World Cups, since their first appearance in 1998. They have qualified for the 2022 tournament.
Their best results has been making it to the second round in 2002, 2010 and 2016.
- In 1998, the team reached the finals in France, suffering narrow defeats to Argentina, Croatia and Jamaica.
- In 2002 in their home country, Japan would have their finest hour, making it to the last sixteen only to be eliminated by a close 1-0 defeat to eventual semi-finalists Türkiye.
- In 2018, Japan became the first Asian nation to defeat a South American opponent at a World Cup, when they beat Colombia 2-1 in their group match.
- About the women's team from Japan at the FIFA Women's World Cup
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in Japan