Japan have participated in seven World Cups, since their first appearance in 1998. Their best results has been making it to the round of 16 in 2002, 2010, 2018 and 2022.
- Japan is one of several teams that have been banned from participating at the World Cup. The Japanese national football team was barred from the 1950 World Cup for their role in the Second World War.
- In 1998, the Japanese team reached the finals in France, suffering narrow defeats to Argentina, Croatia and Jamaica.
- In 2002 in their home country, Japan would have their finest hour, making it to the last sixteen only to be eliminated by a close 1-0 defeat to eventual semi-finalists Türkiye.
- In 2018, Japan became the first Asian nation to defeat a South American opponent at a World Cup, when they beat Colombia 2-1 in their group match.
- About the women's team from Japan at the FIFA Women's World Cup
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in Japan