Demonstration Winter Olympic Sports
Here is a list of demonstration sports that have been part of the Winter Olympics. See also demonstration sports of the Summer Olympics, and sports that were once part of the Winter Olympics but have been discontinued.
Winter Demonstration Sports - alphabetical list
- Bandy: 1952
- Curling: 1932, 1988, 1992
- Disabled Skiing: 1984, 1988
- Dog Sled Racing: 1932
- eSports: 2018
- Freestyle Skiing - Aerials: 1988, 1992
- Freestyle Skiing - Moguls: 1988
- Ice Dancing: 1968
- Ice stock sport: 1936, 1964
- Military Patrol: 1928, 1936, 1948
- Short track speed skating: 1988
- Ski Ballet 1988, 1992
- Skijöring (horse): 1928
- Speed Skating (women): 1932
- Speed Skiing: 1992
- Winter Pentathlon: 1948
Winter Demonstration Sports - Listed By Year
- 1928: Skijöring (horse), Military Patrol
- 1932: Dog Sled Racing, Curling, Speed Skating (women)
- 1936: Ice stock sport, Military Patrol
- 1948: Winter Pentathlon, Military Patrol
- 1952: Bandy
- 1964: Ice stock sport
- 1968: Ice Dancing
- 1984: Disabled Alpine Skiing
- 1988: Curling, Short track speed skating, Freestyle Skiing (Moguls), Freestyle Skiing (Aerials), Ski Ballet, Disabled Skiing
- 1992: Curling, Freestyle Skiing (Aerials), Ski Ballet, Speed Skiing.
- 2018: eSports
- We once noted that synchronized skating and snowshoeing were demonstration sports in 2002, though we cannot find any further references to that.
- Though it would be good to see an ice climbing demonstration in 2018, I don't think it is on the program.
- Ski orienteering held an 'unofficial' tournement just prior to the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics.
- Xavier Ramon, Qingru Xu & Andrew C. Billings (2020) Lost in the Vault?: Demonstration Sports at the Winter Olympics and How Digital Media Can Bring Them ‘Back to the Future’, The International Journal of the History of Sport, 37:13, 1300-1321
- Winter Discontinued Sports
- More Demonstration Olympic Sports
- Winter Sports at the Summer Olympics
- More about the Winter Olympic Games