2012 World T20 in Sri Lanka
The 4th edition of the ICC World Twenty20 was held in Sri Lanka in 2012.
There were 12 teams, playing 27 matches. In addition to the 10 Test playing teams, there were two qualifiers. Ireland defeated Afghanistan in the qualifying tournament, with both progressing to the main tournament.
The format was the same as previous T20 World Cups. A preliminary round was comprised of four groups of three.
- Group A: England, India, Afghanistan.
- Group B: Australia, West Indies, Ireland.
- Group C: Sri Lanka, South Africa, Zimbabwe.
- Group D: Pakistan, New Zealand, Bangladesh
The top two from each group went through to the Super 8 second stage of the tournament. These eight teams played in two groups of four. The two top teams from each Super 8 group qualified for the knock-out semi-finals.
The final of the 2012 ICC World Twenty20 was played at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, and the West Indies beat Sri Lanka by 36 runs.
- This was the first World Twenty20 tournament held in an Asian country
- List of host countries of the World T20
- World T20 winners list
- More about the ICC World Twenty20
- About sport in Sri Lanka