Birmingham Commonwealth Games Trivia
- Two cities originally bid for the 2022 games; Durban (South Africa) and Edmonton (Canada), though Edmonton withdrew in February 2015, leaving Durban as the only bid when the host was announced in September 2015. However, Durban was later forced to withdraw from hosting the event.
- The games in Durban were originally set to open on 18 July 2022, which coincided with the birthday of the late Nelson Mandela. It will now start on 29 July.
- A women's cricket tournament has been added to the sports program and beach volleyball returns after a successful debut in 2018. See all 2022 Sports.
- Shooting and archery were initially controversially left off the program, though later it was announced that a Commonwealth Archery and Shooting Championships would be held in Chandigarh in India, though this event was subsequently canceled.
- At the 2022 Commonwealth Games there will be two more female medal events than men's - 135 to 133, thanks to the addition of women's T20 cricket.
- 72 countries and territories of the Commonwealth will compete in Birmingham.