Zinedine Yazid Zidane (born June 23, 1972), nicknamed “Zizou”, is a former French attacking midfielder. He led the French national team for over 10 years and also played club soccer for Juventus and Real Madrid.
He first bagged his player license when he was 10 years old playing for a local club from La Castellane. His professional debut was with Cannes in the Ligue 1 match versus Nantes on May 18, 1989.
When Zidane retired, he became the assistant coach for Real Madrid for the 2013-2014 season. After a successful year winning both the UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey, Zinedine Zidane became the coach of Real Madrid’s B team, Real Madrid Castilla.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
In 2004, Zinedine Zidane was named best European soccer player of the past 50 years by the UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll. He was also included in the FIFA 100, Pele’s list of greatest living players. He won numerous honors and awards including two-time FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year, Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year and Ligue 1 Player of the Year, Serie A Foreign Footballer of the year and World Soccer Awards Player of the Year.
Zidane became part of the FIFA World Cup All-Star Team twice, UEFA Euro Player and Team of the Year and many others. He is the oldest player to win the WC Golden Ball and shares the honor of most goals scored in QC final matches along with Pele, Vava and Geoff Hurst.
Why Was He So Good?
Zinedine Zidane is the master of fundamentals and techniques of soccer. He had great control and astounding dribbling skills with magic ball touch, a focus vision and astonishing leadership traits. During his professional playing years, he became the supreme player when it leads to controlling and receiving the ball. His skills and significance is in etched in football’s history.
What You May Not Know
- In 2001, he signed with Real Madrid for a world-record transfer fee of more than $66 million. The investment paid off when he helped win the UEFA Champions League title during his first year and La Liga the following season
- He was kicked out of the 2006 World Cup Finals because of a dangerous head-butt to an Italian defender.
- Zidane was appointed as the UN Goodwill Ambassador in March 2001, captains a team of soccer stars against a side led by fellow footballer and UN Ambassador Ronaldo in a charity match.
- He also served as a high-profile ambassador of Qatar’s successful bid to host the 2022 WC.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Zinedine Zidane being a legend of football / soccer?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- Zinedine Zidane won the Ballon d'Or in 1998.
- More football players
- About Football (Soccer)
- Athlete Database home