Pelé was born as Edson Arantes do Nascimento on October 23, 1940. Pelé was a member of three Brazilian World Cup champion teams and is widely regarded by many to be the greatest soccer player of all time. He played a major role in every game he played. Pele died 29 December 2022.
During his youth, he joined the Bauru Athletic Club juniors coached by Waldemar de Brito leading the team three consecutive victories from 1954 – 1956. Football star Brito took him to Santos football club and soon signed a professional contract in June 1956. His first international game was in July 1957 against Argentina.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
Pelé scored a total of 77 goals and appeared in 92 matches for the Brazil national team. In 1999, he was voted Football Player of the Century by the IFFHS. He created numerous records that some, until today, remain undefeated and unaltered. In 1962, he led Santos to victory in four competitions, becoming the first team to win four times.
Why Was He So Good?
Pelé had a talent for scoring stupendous goals which made him a world-renowned footballer. He ruled soccer during his active years to the point where people even called him “King of Football”. He gave his all to each match and play like it’s his first professional game. Some football fanatics, experts, reviewers and former and present players, believe that he is still the best player of all time with thrilling play and remarkable performance.
What You May Not Know
- Pelé got soccer lessons from his father and played for a couple of amateur teams during his teen years.
- Other than his showmanship, he is also known as a humanitarian. He enhanced living standards and social conditions of the poor.
- During his childhood, his nickname was “Dico” but then his friends started calling him Pelé because of his favorite football player, Vasco da Gama ‘Bile’, whom he used to mispronounce as “Pelé”.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Pelé being a legend of football / soccer?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- Greatest Soccer Player of All Time
- More profiles of football players
- About Football (Soccer)
- Athlete Database home