Measuring Flexibility using a Goniometer
A goniometer is used to measure the range of motion of various joints around the body.
- purpose: the aim of this test is to measure the flexibility of a joint, which is important for injury prevention and execution of many sporting movements.
- equipment required: Goniometer
- procedure: To measure the range of motion at a joint, the center of the goniometer is positioned at the axis of rotation of a joint, and the arms of the goniometer are aligned with the long axis of the bones of the adjacent segments or to an external reference.
- scoring: The measurement is the angle in degrees as read off the goniometer.
- disadvantages: It is sometimes difficult to position and maintain the arms of the goniometer along the bones of the segments throughout the measurement, and the axis of rotation is not always clear, especially for complex joints.
- buy a goniometer
- there is a goniometer phone app
- more flexibility tests
- about flexibility testing
- see also the flexibility exercises on this list of stretches
- Flexibility Test Videos