Olympic Medal Tables
The race for the leading countries on the Olympic Games medal tally has become more hotly contested than the individual sporting medals, as countries attempt to use it to bolster national pride or justify huge spending on sports. Note, however, that the International Olympic Committee does not officially recognize national medal totals. We do.
We have listed the top 10 (or more) medal tally nations from every Summer Olympic Games:
1896, 1900, 1904, 1906, 1908, 1912, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016.
See also the all time medal table (all years combined).
More Olympic Medals Pages
- All-Time Medal Table — complete medal table from all Summer Olympics. See also the top ranked based on average medal counts.
- Medal Ranking Systems — discussion of the different ranking systems - the winners may depend on how you rank medals won. We have medal tables per capita and per GDP.
- Predicted Medals — modelling to predict the number of medals won for each country, for the current and recent Olympic Games. See the predictions for Rio 2016. We have analyzed the predictions to calculate their accuracy.
- Tally Leaders — the leading country from each Olympic Games.
- Top Medal Winners — lists of the athletes winning the most gold medals and most total medals.
- Best Athlete Ever — ranking all-time best athlete performances at the Olympics.
- Best Athlete from Each Sport — ranking all-time best athlete at the Olympics from each sport.
- about Olympic Medals