Peter Daicos (born 20 September 1961) is a former Australian rules footballer who is best known for his exceptional goal-kicking ability. He played for Collingwood in the AFL/VFL at the age of eighteen against St. Kilda where he had 28 possessions as a center man in a Collingwood record score of 207 to St. Kilda’s 29. In the next games, he proved himself supernatural near goals and played several games at full-forward but as a goal-kicker, he topped Collingwood’s goal-kicking list on four different occasions.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
Daicos became Collingwood’s best and fairest twice and the club’s leading goal-kicker from 1981 to 1982 and 1990 and 1992. In 1991, his goal was named goal of the year with a personal best of 13 against the Brisbane Bears. He is 4th-most goals kicked for the Collingwood Football Club and the 43rd-most goals kicked overall in the AFL. Daicos was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame, Collingwood Team of the Century and Greek Team of the Century.
Why Was He So Good?
Peter Daicos is considered to be one of Collingwood’s greatest players. He was a highly skilled football player, playing much of his career on the ball or in the center where his anticipation, balance and outstanding ball-handling skills made him a powerful player in the field.
What You May Not Know
- Peter was originally a South Melbourne supporter but his family shifted to the South zone then he was recruited by Collingwood from Preston RSL.
- The highlight of his career was in 1990 when he became a member of Collingwood’s first premiership team for 32 years.
- Daicos had a 250-game career.
- His parents were from North Macedonia so he was often referred to as “The North Macedonian Marvel” during his entire professional playing career.
- He represented Victoria in 1981, 1984, 1988 and 1990 before playing his final game in 1993.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Peter Daicos being an AFL legend?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- More Australian Football legendary players
- Athlete Database home
- About the sport of Australian Football