We may see Vietnam as a very traditional country from the food, clothing, and religion that they have inherited from the Chinese. But Vietnam has a traditional sport that is far from the ways of the Chinese. It is a form of wrestling called Dau Vat which is very well-known across the country.
Now in the modern days, soccer has captured the hearts of the Vietnamese people, and even the kids play informal games on the streets and in parks.
Vietnam also hold a four-year multi-sport event involving participants throughout the country. It is called the “Vietnam National Games” where goals are; one, to examine the training cycle of the athletes, secondly, to encourage each city in training new athletes and lastly, to exercise the national sporting athletes for international competitions
One of the most successful athletes from Vietnam is Lee Nguyen. He is regarded to be the most popular mid-fielder in Vietnam and is playing for the New England Revolution in Major League Soccer.
Vietnam has been a participant to the Olympic Games since 1952 with exception to 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games and the Winter Olympics. However, they only have received two medals (both silver) from Trần Hiếu Ngân (2000 Sydney, TaeKwonDo) and Hoàng Anh Tuấn (2008 Beijing, Weightlifting).
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Vietnam.
Popular sports of Vietnam
- Football (Soccer), Badminton, Tennis, Volleyball, Table Tennis, Chess
Local or Traditional Sports of Vietnam
- Vovinam — a Vietnamese martial art.
- Vocotruyen - Vietnam Traditional Martial Arts
- Dau Vat — vietnamese wrestling
Vietnamese Sporting Success
- The national football team won the ASEAN Football Championship twice in 2008 and 2018
Great athletes from Vietnam
- Lee Nguyen (soccer)
- Bui Thi Nhung (track and field)
- Vu Thi Huong (track and field)
Vietnam Sports trivia
- Hoàng Xuân Vinh won Vietnam's first-ever Olympic gold medal by winning the men's 10m air pistol in Rio 2016.
- In 2020, Vietnam will host the inaugural Formula One Vietnam Grand Prix in the city of Hanoi.
Vietnam at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Vietnam
Upcoming sporting events in Vietnam
- 2020 - the inaugural Vietnam Grand Prix
- 2022 - South-East Asian Games in Hanoi
Annual sporting events held in Vietnam
Sporting Facilities in Vietnam
- Cần Thơ Stadium (Sân vận động Cần Thơ) - in Cần Thơ
- Mỹ Đình National Stadium (Sân vận động Quốc gia Mỹ Đình) - in Hanoi
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.