Here are ideas to remove some of the fat from the food you eat.
- Skip butter or margarine. You can use jam or honey instead for toast; or pickles, mustard or Light Philly cream cheese on sandwiches.
- Cook with minimal oil (even if it is olive oil!). Try a spray oil instead.
- Choose lean cuts of meat and trim all visible fat eg eye fillet steak, trim lamb. Avoid chops, sausages and hamburger mince.
- Remove skin from chicken.
- Buy lean deli meats eg lite ham, pastrami, shaved chicken or turkey.
- Drink only reduced fat milk eg REV, Light Start, PhysiCAL or Skinny. Remember to ask for Skinny latte's too!
- Ensure all dairy products that you buy are reduced fat eg light yoghurt and ice cream.
- Avoid cream and sour cream. Use vanilla or natural yoghurt instead.
- Only eat cheeses that are less than 10%fat eg Kraft Extra Light or Kraft Free, Devondale 7 or Shape.
- Avoid high fat sauces such as carbonara, satay and gravies.
- Avoid high fat snack foods. Snack on low fat foods like fruit, light yoghurt, fruit loaf, oven baked fruit bars and cereal bars, pretzels and rice crackers.
- Avoid high fat take away foods. The best choices are steamed rice with an Asian stir fry, pasta with a tomato based sauce, Subway 6, Nandos chicken pita.
- Also see Reducing Fats and Oils in the Diet
- More about Fat and Dieting
- Nutritional Fat and Athletes
Any comments, suggestions, or corrections? Please let us know.