This two foot takeoff running vertical jump test is a variation of the standing vertical jump, and similar to the running one leg take-off VJ test used for Australian Football. This test is appropriate for basketball and volleyball players as it replicates actions in the game. There is also the Max Touch basketball leap test, which does not specify single or double leg takeoff. These tests are best conducted using the Vertec® equipment.
equipment required: Vertec® or similar.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: Record the standing height of the subject by getting then to stand directly below the apparatus with both feet flat on the ground, and then stretch up one arm and reach as high as possible. The subject then stands the appropriate distance from the base of the apparatus (about 15 feet), and when ready take 3 or so steps before leaping off up off both legs as high as possible, using the arms to assist in projecting the body upwards. The subject should aim to take off just short of the apparatus, so that at the peak of the jump they are directly under it. The best of three attempts is recorded. See a video example of this test in the Vertical Jump Videos.
scoring: The difference in measurement between the standing reach height and the jump height reached is the score. It is also possible to convert jump height into a power or work score.
target population: Aussie Rules Football, volleyball, basketball
- The Vertec® equipment is expensive, especially relative to the chalk and wall vertical jump method.
- Technique plays a part in maximizing your score, as the subject must time the jump so that the marker is reached at the peak of the jump, and the jump height can be affected by the effective use of the arms.
- Athletes may 'cheat' by not reaching up fully when measuring the standing height, thus inflating their jump score.
- Similar one step vertical jump test
- Running jump off one leg
- Procedure for Vertical Jump Testing using the Vertec® or just a wall
- Vertical Jump Testing using a timing mat
- Vertical Jump at home
- Vertical Jump Videos
- About vertical jump techniques
- A discussion about the various vertical jump equipment available.
- Apparatus for sale in the vertical jump store.
- See the list of anaerobic tests for other fitness tests of leg power.