Here is a simple method for making your own reaction timer. It is basic, and probably not the most accurate test of reaction time, but it is interesting activity to do, and lots of fun will be had. A variation of this test is the Ruler Reaction Test. There are some commercially available variations of this test too, see the review of Reaction Sticks.
- A piece of thick paper or cardboard, approximately 20 cm long and 5 cm wide.
- A ruler
- A pen or pencil
- Cut the card to at least 20cm long and 5 cm wide.
- Mark the piece of paper or cardboard as illustrated (use the figure on right as a guide).
- The numbers 40 to 200 (time in milliseconds) are to be written on the card at the specified distances (in centimeters) from the bottom of the card.
Note: all measurements are approximate
- Have a friend hold the reaction timer at the top
- Line up your fingers with the bottom edge of the reaction timer
- Have the friend drop the reaction timer at any time, without warning, and try and grab it between your fingers. Don't chase it, that's cheating!
- Read off your score from the side of the card at the point you grabbed it, and rate your score using the table below.
|60||a little below average|
|120||have another go|
|140||I wouldn't get into a car with you|
|160||what drugs are you on?|
- Test your reaction time A fun test of your finger clicking reaction time.
- A similar test, the Ruler Reaction Test
- A list of reaction time tests
- Video examples of Reaction Time Tests
- View reaction time scores graphical results of people's reaction time scores from the above test.
- About Reaction Time