Here is a really cool and possibly very handy iphone app Photo Finish - sprintTimer, a unique timer and photo finish app that employs the same techniques as the professional equipment used in Track and Field, though it can be used for other sports too such as horse racing, greyhound racing, cycling, speed skating, car racing, rowing, plus much more.
All you need to do is start the timer and point the camera towards the finish line. Then sprintTimer will build an image of narrow slices of the finish line, each representing 0.03 s in time. You can then scroll along the photo to get the time at which each competitor crosses the finish line with a 0.01 s resolution.
Note: Only works on the modern iPhones and devices due to the high requirements on camera, memory and processing capacity.
Find it on the USA App Store: SprintTimer - Photo Finish - by Sten Kaiser
- about timing gates
- Some timing gates for sale
- Other fitness testing phone apps
- Links to other fitness testing products
Commenting is closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- I love the sprintTimer app. I use it on my iphone and ipad. I coach Professional sprinters here in Las Vegas and I don't know how I ever got along without it. (from Bryn Davis, Mar 2013)
- Recently I've noticed after downloading the up grade "start sender" that within the Photo Finish portion of the application. If I choose to start using the microphone that the Sound Level: is locked at 109. Virtually rendering the microphone start useless. Is this possibly due to a bug in the start sender software? If so are you guys aware and is a patch on the way? My season is in full swing and I really depend on the function of this app