The Wheelbarrow Olympics is an unusual sports event organized annually in Hosszúhetény village in Baranya county, Hungary. Locally they call it Talicskaolimpia. The event has been running since 2001. The games are linked with cultural programs including concerts and dance performances.
The event involves many wheelbarrow races, either singularly or in teams, for men and women, adults and children races. Races usually involve pushing the wheelbarrow around a series of cones in an out and back course. The types of races include the following:
- Solo - one person pushing a wheelbarrow
- Double - two people pushing one wheelbarrow
- Triple - three people pushing two wheelbarrows side by side, the middle person with a hand on each one.
- Sandwich - one person racing with two wheelbarrows, one in front and one behind.
- Speed and skill - a speed test involving take and retrieving items in the wheelbarrow.
- Wheelbarrow Races — children's game in which one person plays the part of a wheelbarrow.
- Wife Carrying Festival — carrying your wife, all for the prize of beer.
- Other Olympic Type Unusual Events
- More unusual sports
- Videos of unusual sports