It is not only the sports that are unusual - check out this list of unusual sports' names, this is just a sample of the unusual names from our list of unusual sports. There is also a list of Funny names of actual sports. There are links to more information about each of these sports below.
- Conker Smashing — first of all, what is a conker? Whatever it is, doesn't it sound like an appealing sport to be smashing anything.
- Goanna Pulling — you look like a goanna (Australian lizard) when you participate in this wrestling contest.
- Gurning Contest — it doesn't sound anything like what it is. What would be a better name for an ugly contest?
- Pooh Sticks — It's a not so sticky and not so poohy event, simply throw a stick into the water and watch it race.
- Royal Shrovetide Football — to the uninitiated, it may seem like some sort of street riot, but it is actually an ancient annual sporting event, and not so royal!
- Stinging Nettle Challenge — What are nettles, and why would you eat something with the word 'stinging' in it anyway? Maybe we don't want to know.
- Uppies and Downies — a version of Medieval Football with about 1000 players on each team who attempt to get the ball to the opposing team's goal. Choose your team wisely.
- Yabbie Races — you can race anything, even these weirdly named yabbies. They taste good too if you can catch them.
Any others? Add to the comments if you think of a sport that should be on this list.