The Finnish Wife Carrying Festival is held annually in Finland in early July, and requires a man to negotiate a 253.5 m course while carrying their wife on their back. The course includes various surfaces and getting through dry land and water based obstacles. The prize to the winner is a mobile phone, and more importantly they also win their wife's weight in beer!
It may seem like just a bit of fun, but there are some official rules that have to be followed.
- The 'wife' must be over 17 years old.
- The 'wife' must weigh at least 49 kilograms.
- You do not have to be married to the 'wife', any suitable female will do.
- Dropping and bouncing the 'wife' incurs a 15 second "fine".
- You must have fun!
- Similar new sport - Ovasinax — wife carrying in a swimming pool.
- More sports involving beer
- More unusual sports
- Videos of unusual sports