The Ballon d'Or Award is the world’s most prestigious individual sporting award. The award, created by France Football (owned by the L’Équipe Group), has been awarded since 1956.
The main awards, presented at an annual gala ceremony are: the men's and women's Ballon d'Or for the best player over the previous year; the Kopa Trophy for the best young men's player; Gerd Müller Trophy for the best striker, and the Yashin Trophy for the best male goalkeeper. There is also the Club of the Year Prize and Socrates Award.
Ballon d'Or Voting
The winning players of the Ballon d'Or are voted by a panel of journalists. Starting in 2022, the voters are limited to the top 100 countries in the FIFA rankings for men and the top 50 nations from the women's rankings.
The voting criteria was also updated in 2022 to focus on three main factors. The primary criteria is the player's individual performance in the previous season, no longer by calendar year, and no longer factoring career success at all. The other factors considered are team success during the previous season, as well as player behavior and fair play.
- Men's Ballon d'Or Winner's List — for the best male football player.
- Women's Ballon d'Or Winner's List — for the best female football player.
- Kopa Trophy — for the for best young men's player.
- Yashin Trophy — for best male goalkeeper.
- Socrates Award — for humanitarian work
- Striker of the Year
- Club of the Year
Other Ballon d'Or Information
- History of the Ballon d'Or
- Ballon d'Or Trivia
- Ballon d'Or final standings: 2021, 2022