Metallic silhouette shooting is a shooting sport in which players compete to test their skills by shooting at silhouette metal targets. The targets used are molded in the form of four animals, chickens, rams, pigs and turkeys. The sport originated from a similar Mexican target shooting sport in which live animals were used.
Target animals are placed on a stand in groups of five of the same kind. The chicken targets will always be the closest to the shooter, followed by pigs, turkeys, and rams, where each stand is separated by a fixed distance. Different types of guns are used for shooting, and the distance at which the stands are placed will vary based on the type of guns used.
Shooters start their round from the closest stand; the chicken targets, and work their way to the farthest stand. Targets on each stand have to be shot from left to right. The target has to fall off the stand to be counted as a hit. If a shot missed the target, the shooter has to proceed with the next target. One shot by a player at all targets is called a round, and a single match lasts for 2 to 6 rounds. The shooter with the most number of hits at the end of the match is declared the winner.
- Target Shooting — guns of any type used for aiming at a target.
- Practical Shooting — a dynamic shooting sport using handguns and moving and shooting over obstacles.
- Underwater Target Shooting — competitors free dive in a swimming pool, using spearguns to fire at targets.
- Hunting — an activity that involves tracking and killing animals with various weapons (not a sport?).
- About Shooting Sports — about the many sports which involve shooting at targets using guns like pistols and rifles.
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports