Target Shooting is a type of shooting sport using a variety of implements to shoot at a target.
Air rifles, pistols, muzzle-loading rifles and pistols, and cartridge rifles may be used in target shooting. Rifles of .22 calibre are used at shorter range (25–100 yards), while “Full-bore” rifles (larger rifles) are used at larger range (up to 1000 yards). Other types of target shooting disciplines include: Clay Shooting, Practical Shotgun, and Practical Rifle.
- Clay Pigeon Shooting — shooters try to shoot flying targets like clay pigeons or clay targets.
- Metallic Silhouette Shooting — players compete to test their skills by shooting at silhouette metal targets.
- Underwater Target Shooting — competitors free dive in a swimming pool, using spearguns to fire at targets.
- Field Target — an outdoor air gun discipline.
- Practical Shooting — a dynamic shooting sport using handguns and moving and shooting over obstacles.
- Slingshot — stand 10m away from a target and score points for accurately hitting a target.
- About Shooting Sports — many events involving shooting at targets using guns like pistols and rifles.
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports