Practical shooting is a popular adventure sport, which is also known as action shooting and dynamic shooting sport. In Practical shooting, the shooter has too move in different positions, like for instance firing over or under the obstacles and in some other unrecognized positions. There is no proper arrangements of targets in this sport, which means that the shooter has to be inventive to shoot the targets in an effective manner.
In this sport various competitors try to unite the three principles of this sport which are speed, precision and power with the use of a firearm of a certain caliber.
Scoring points usually vary in different formats of this sport as they calculate the time in which the course is completed also with penalties for inappropriate shooting. The courses are usually called stages and are shot individually by shooters.
Practical shooting sport is evolved from the experimentation of handguns, which were used for self-defense.
- Cowboy Action Shooting — involves shooting targets with a variety of guns that were typical of the late 19th century .
- Metallic Silhouette Shooting — players compete to test their skills by shooting at silhouette metal targets.
- Field Target — an outdoor air gun discipline.
- Target Shooting — guns of any type used for aiming at a target.
- About Shooting Sports — about the many sports which involve shooting at targets using guns like pistols and rifles.
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports