Biathlon Orienteering (also known as orienteering shooting) is a combination of the navigation sport of orienteering with rifle shooting. This unique combination tests both physical endurance and navigational skills.
Biathlon Orienteering is another variation of the traditional Winter Olympic sport of biathlon, which combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. The sport, invented in Sweden, is mainly practiced in the Nordic countries, as well as a few other European countries.
Biathlon orienteering is a sport with the same structure to traditional biathlon, a endurance event combined with shooting. The endurance component is orienteering, a sport where participants use a map and compass to navigate through unfamiliar terrain and find specific control points. The shooting component is usually conducted using small-bore biathlon rifles to shoot at conventional biathlon targets at a distance of 50 meters .
The orienteering format can either be freestyle (classic) style and/or point orienteering.
The sport is organized internationally by the International Biathlon Orienteering Federation (IBOF), and the World Biathlon Orienteering Championship (WBOC) is held annually.
- Summer Biathlon — a combined sport of roller skiing (or trail running) and rifle shooting.
- Biathlon — a combination of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
- Target Sprint — a combination of sprint running and air rifle shooting.
- Nordic shooting with cross-country running — the summer variant of Nordic Field Biathlon, a precursor to Olympic Biathlon.
- Laser Run — four legs of laser pistol shooting, each followed by an 800m run. It is also the final leg of the modern pentathlon.
- Triathle — a shortened version of the Modern Pentathlon, athletes compete in shooting, swimming and running events as a part of a single race.
- Modern Pentathlon — comprises five events: fencing, 200m swim, show jumping, and combined pistol shooting and 3200m run.
- Ski Archery — a combined sport involving skiing and shooting arrows at targets.
- Cross country running — individuals or teams run races which involve courses over natural terrain.
- About Shooting Sports
- Biathlon at the Winter Olympics
- About Multi-Sports
- The complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports