Disc golf is a sport that is similar to traditional golf, but instead of hitting a ball into a hole, players throw a flying disc (similar to a Frisbee) into a metal basket.
Here are some of the basic rules for disc golf, though take note that there are many other intricacies and variations in the sport, including different types of shots, variations in course design, and different scoring systems.
- The Course: Disc golf is played on a course that consists of a series of "holes" or baskets. The course may be located in a park, in the woods, or in other outdoor settings. (See equipment for disc golf)
- Disc Selection: Players may carry multiple discs of different shapes, sizes, and weights, and may choose a different disc for each throw depending on the distance, wind conditions, and other factors.
- Tee Throws: Each hole has a designated tee area, from which players must make their first throw. The play begins with each player throwing from this designated area towards each hole. There should be one foot in contact with the tee at the time of release.
- Fairway Play: Players then continue throwing from the spot where their disc lands, until the disc is thrown into the basket. The scoring system is similar to standard golf, each hole has a assigned par score.
- Scoring: The object of the game is to complete the course in the fewest number of throws. Each throw is counted as a stroke, and the player with the lowest total score at the end of the game is the winner.
- Out of Bounds: If a player's throw lands out of bounds, the player must take a penalty stroke, as well as throw from a designated drop zone or from the spot where the disc went out of bounds.
- Courtesy: Players must wait their turn to throw, and should not throw until the group ahead of them has cleared the area. Players should also avoid distracting other players with noise or movement.
- Safety: Players must be aware of their surroundings and should take care not to endanger other players, spectators, or wildlife. Players should also avoid throwing over people, roads, or other hazards.
- About disc golf, and other Disc Sports
- The Rules of Golf
- Equipment for Disc Golf
- Disc Golf videos are viewable on disc sport videos
- A summary of disc golf
- Information about All Sports and also a list of Unusual Sports