Athens Olympic Stadium
The Olympic Stadium situated in Athens is named after the first modern Olympic marathon gold medalist in 1896, Spyros Louis. The stadium is located in part of the Athens Olympic Sports Complex, in the area of Marousi in Athens.
The stadium was built in 1980-1982. The record attendance for sporting event was 75,263, for the match between Olympiacos FC and Hamburger SV, in 1983). Its capacity at the time of the 2004 Olympics was 72,000. It is the largest stadium in Greece.
Events Held at the Olympic Stadium
Here are just some of the recent major events that have been held at the Athen's Olympic Stadium:
- 1982 - European Championships in Athletics
- 1986–87 European Cup Winners' Cup
- 1994 - UEFA Champions League Final
- 1991 - Mediterranean Games
- 1997 - World Championships in Athletics
- 2004 - Summer Olympics.
- Olympic Games stadiums, including the Panathenaic stadium in Athens used the first Olympic Games in 1896.
- Other stadiums in Greece
- All stadiums list
- Top 10 largest stadiums in the world
- sport in Greece