Switzerland at the World Cup
Russia 2018 was Switzerland's 11th participation at the World Cup. Previous appearances were in 1934, 1938, 1950, 1954, 1962, 1966, 1994, 2008, 2010 and 2014. Their best previous performances were Quarter-final appearances in 1934, 1938 and 1954.
- In their début appearance in 1934, they lost a close quarter-final 3-2 to Czechoslovakia. Four years later, the Swiss booked their place in the quarter-final by defeating Germany 4-2. The eventual runners-up Hungary ended the Swiss run at the quarter-final stage.
- In Brazil 1950 the Swiss team went out in the first round, but in the 1954 World Cup they played their way into the quarter-finals as the tournament hosts. However, after leading 3-0, they allowed Austria to fight back to claim a 7-5 victory and semi-final spot.
- In 1962 and 1966 Switzerland failed to progress beyond the first round, and in 1994 they headed home after a 3-0 loss to Spain in the second round.
- Short-sighted Swiss center-forward Poldi Kielholz had to wear spectacles in matches of the 1934 finals. Despite his visual limitation, he scored three goals in two matches.
- The first match played indoors was at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit, USA on 18 June 1994, in a match between USA and Switzerland.
- About the women's team from Switzerland at the FIFA Women's World Cup
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in Switzerland