Notable Athletes & Performances
Some athletes and performances from the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
- British Synchronized Diver Tom Daley was 14 years and 80 days old when the Games began, beating the record for the youngest British male Olympian by over a year.
- Rashid Ramzi of Bahrain was thought to have won his country's first-ever Olympic medal when he won the men's 1500m gold medal at the Beijing Games, but the medal was later stripped from him due to a doping violation.
- US swimmer Michael Phelps became the most successful man at an Olympics by winning eight gold medals.
- Jamaican sprint superstar Usain Bolt became the first man to win gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m sprints at consecutive Olympic Games.
- The oldest competitor in Beijing was Hiroshi Hoketsu of Japan who was 67 years, 139 days old when he competed in the dressage competition. Hoketsu had also competed at the 1964 Summer Olympics, and he made the team for the 2012 Olympics too!
- Information about the 2008 Games