Boules Demonstration in 1900
A boules event was an unofficial sport at 1900 Olympic Games in Paris. It was a popular sport in France at the time. In boules, like in bocce, the players try to roll heavy balls close to a small 'jack'. Two versions were played, Jeu Lyonnais (game of Lyon) and Partie de Berges (party of Berges?). Jeu Lyonnais is similar to the modern game of pétanque, except that the playing area was longer and players ran three steps before throwing the ball. Pétanque in its present form was not played until about 1910.
It is not known if there were participants from other countries - all the winners listed below are from France.
- Jeu Lyonnais: France 21, France 11
- Partie de Berges: France 9, France 1
- Demonstration Sports and Events at Paris 1900
- Full list of all Demonstration Sports
- Sports at the Olympic Games
- About Boules Sports