Vertical Jump - run up and single leg take-off
This one-legged running vertical jump test is a variation of the standing vertical jump, and similar to the running two-legged take-off VJ test used for basketball. The vertical jump test with a run up and single leg take-off is used in the AFL draft, as it replicates the players running then leaping for a mark. There is also the Max Touch basketball leap test, which does not specify single or double leg takeoff and measures jump height from the ground up. These tests are best conducted using the vertec equipment or similar.
- equipment required: Vertec or similar.
- procedure: Record standing height by standing below the apparatus with both feet flat on the ground, and stretching up one arm and reaching as high as possible. The subject then stands about 5 meters from the base of the apparatus, and when ready take 3 to 5 steps before leaping off up off one leg as high as possible, using the arms and legs to assist in projecting the body upwards. The subject should attempt to take off at a point so that at the peak of the jump he is directly under the apparatus, and the arm is fully extended. This may take some practice. The difference in distance between the standing reach height and the jump height reached is the score. The best of three attempts is recorded. See a video example of the this test being performed at the AFL draft camp.
- scoring: The jump height is recorded as a distance score - the height reached above the standing height measurement. The best result at the AFL draft camp was 102 cm. It is also possible to convert jump height into a power or work score.
- target population: Aussie Rules Football
- the vertec equipment is expensive, especially relative to the chalk and wall vertical jump method.
- technique plays a part in maximizing your score, as the subject must time the jump so that the marker is reached at the peak of the jump, and the jump height can be affected by the effective use of the arms and driving leg.
- athletes may 'cheat' by not reaching up fully when measuring the standing height, thus inflating their vertical jump result.
- similar one step vertical jump test and running jump off two legs
- procedure for Vertical Jump Testing using the Vertec or just a wall, and for Vertical Jump Testing using a timing mat. See also testing Vertical Jump at home.
- This test is part of the AFL draft and there is a video of the AFL draft camp showing this test plus others.
- Vertical Jump Demonstration Videos
- About vertical jump techniques
- a discussion about the various vertical jump equipment available
- apparatus for sale in the vertical jump store
- see the list of anaerobic tests for other fitness tests of leg power.