The dip test (dips) is a test of upper body strength and strength endurance. This test was one of the gym test events in the Superstars TV series.
- purpose: This test measures upper body strength and endurance.
- equipment required: gymnastics parallel bars, or similar gym equipment.
- procedure: The aim of this test is to do as many dips as possible in one minute. The subject starts in the up position, with the arms straight and elbows fully locked. One complete dip is performed by bending the arms and lowering the body until the elbows are bent to at least a right angle, then pushing back up to the starting position. Resting in the up position is allowed.
- scoring: The score is the total number of dips performed in 60 seconds
- target population: sports in which upper body strength is important.
- comments: It's important that arm is bent to at least a right angle, though any more than this will result in premature fatiguing.