NCF Abdominal Curl Conditioning Test
This commercially available abdominal test measures the muscular strength and endurance of the abdominal muscles and hip-flexors using a pre-recorded tempo. This is a progressive test, using timed beeps to indicate when to perform each sit up, similar in a way to the running bleep/beep test. See also this non-progressive sit up beep test.
- purpose: The curl up test measures abdominal strength and endurance, which is important in back support and core stability.
- equipment required: gym mat or similar, tape recorder or CD player, NCF Abdominal Curl Conditioning Test CD. (if you know the rate, you can create your own using the team beeptest software)
- procedure: The detailed instructions on how to perform the test is included in the booklet and on the recording. Subjects are required to perform as many sit ups as possible, keeping in time to the audio recording. The test is over when the subject is not able to perform the sit up in time with the beeps, or is not able to perform the correct technique.
- scoring: The total number of correctly performed sit ups that were performed in time with the beeps is recorded. Using this number and the scale below, a rating score can be derived.
|Stage||Total sit ups||Males||Females|
- advantages: this test is simple and quick to perform requiring minimal equipment, and large groups may be tested at once.
- disadvantages: It is sometimes difficult to determine if a correct sit up is performed, and there may be dispute about the total score. The instructor should make it clear to the athlete of when they will terminate the test. As the tape may stretch over time, or the tape player may not be properly calibrated, the cd version is the preferred choice.
- Purchase the NCF Abdominal Curl Conditioning Test
- About Abdominal Testing
- General Abdominal Endurance Test description
- simple sit up test that you can do at home
- Videos of Sit Up Fitness Tests
- sit up exercise at the beach or at home
- Sit Up World Records
- Team BeepTest software — the beep test on your computer