World Best Bench Press Scores
The current world bench press champion is Ryan Kennelly, who pressed 1075 lbs (487.6 kg) in November 8, 2008. He has gradually improved his world best mark after beating the previous holder of the record Gene Rychlak Jr who pressed 1010 lbs (458.1 kg) in 2006. See videos of bench press record attempts.
It must be noted that the different federations have subtly different rules on technique, the equipment that is allowed and whether performance enhancing drugs are tested for. With the advent of bench press shirts, which aid the lift by supporting the lifter's shoulders and provide upward force, the world records have increased significantly.
The heaviest "raw" bench press is 335 kg (738.5lbs) by Russian Kirill Sarychev on November 22, 2015. He achieved this feat using wrist wraps. To be considered raw, no bench shirts are allowed; however, wrist wraps, singlets and belts are allowed. This effort beat the previous record of 722 lbs (327.5 kg) by Eric Spoto achieved in 2013 (see video).
- procedure for Bench Press Fitness Testing
- some 1 RM Bench Press results for athletes.
- Videos of bench press record attempts
- more Fitness Testing Records and other Sporting Records
- More Records? I scan the internet for the latest athlete results. If you know of something I have missed, it would be great to hear from you.