We all have our favorite sports, but which sports are the most popular around the world? The problem is coming up with a clear defining meaning for popular - by popular do we mean most watched, the most played, or the sport with the most passionate fans!
Soccer is clearly the most popular sport in terms of fans. The FIFA World Cup held every four years has a huge TV audience - over 30 billion people watched the 2006 World Cup in Germany (I know that's more than the world's population, this figure is an 'accumulated' audience, meaning if people watched more than one game, which most people did, they were counted each time).
The list below was found online and no source for the fan numbers has been found, though I generally agree with the sports on the list. Field hockey is widely played, though I'm not sure it should be ranked so high. Not everyone agrees with the list, you can see quite a heated discussion in the comments below.
|rank||Sport||Estimated Fans||Regional Popularity|
|1.||Soccer / Association Football||3.5 Billion||Europe, Africa, Asia, America.|
|2.||Cricket||2.5 Billion||Asia, Australia, UK.|
|3.||Field Hockey||2 Billion||Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia.|
|4.||Tennis||1 Billion||Europe, Asia, America.|
|5.||Volleyball||900 Million||Europe, Australia, Asia, America.|
|6.||Table Tennis||850 Million||Europe, Africa, Asia, America.|
|7.||Baseball||500 Million||America, Japan.|
|8.||Golf||450 Million||Europe, Asia, America, Canada.|
|=9||American Football||400 Million||Europe, Africa, Asia, America, Australia.|
On the same website, there are top sports lists for each country, based on the estimated number of fans using a very interesting method to measure popularity. The lists are based on the results of website visitor traffic analysis (using the Alexa traffic rank) of over 300 sports websites, which reflect which sports the internet users in the particular country are most interested in. Regional popularity gives an insight into where the fan base is located around the world. See also a list based on a similar principle - website traffic to sports pages on Wikipedia and Google Search Sports Terms.
Commenting is not active on this page, though some may be added. You can read some of the interesting previous comments below.
- If we will get manage the competitions of different games between males & females (of all the nations i.e. one team of males & second team of females of different nations), then these competitive games will be something different for the public and almost every person in this world will show interest to watch. These will not only be the latest competitions for public but this will create the unity in the nations. (from Sukhjit, Nov 2022)
- This page does not take into account Formula 1 (500+ millions fans), the top-10 is therefore wrong. (comment, Nov 2022)
- If you travel outside of North America, you would see the love and passion for sports in places like Italy, Spain and Europe in general. Not surprising that Americans think they are number 1 in yet another aspect of their country. Just so you know, the Toronto Maple Leafs have a big fan base and the most expensive ticket and oh yeah! The Toronto Blue Jays won back to back and to forget the Toronto Raptors won the NBA. I'd say a bit ahead of any American team. The Toronto Argonauts have won as well. Just sayin! (from Steve Tom, Jan 2022)
- This is so fake, basketball is not 9th place! First of all, cricket is NOT that famous and BARELY anyone watches field hockey. (Kphee , Nov 2021)
- I really disagree with this list. It makes sense that the first two are football/soccer, and cricket. But after that, there is now way it is hockey!
1. Basketball is also extremely popular in Europe too. So I think it shouldn't be ninth.
2. Golf isn't a sport.
3. Table Tennis is not half as popular as they say.
4. Baseball is only popular in USA so it isn't 7th.
5. Rugby is a sport that is played everywhere, so that should be on the list.
6. Volleyball should be lower down.
Who made this list? Are you serious? (from Person, 2016)
- Baseball is popular in Columbia, Mexico, North America, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and the Carribean, from Justin (2016)
- For a start it's football and not soccer. The answer is in the name (you use your feet to kick a ball). American football should be called 'handball with a safety suit'. Of course football dominates! The only place that doesn't get it is white America who think that 'World Series' and 'Super Bowls' actually mean something. They are just training wheels for real sports... for adults! I look at american professional sports in the same way that their patrons will view WWE. Not surprised cricket was second even though I'm not a big fan myself. Basketball is something you want to play but not watch. It's pointless when half the players are bigger than the net. At it's roots it was never meant to be played by giants. Their should be a team height restriction of 30 foot. Rubbish spectator sport. Field hockey is also rubbish but solidifies the British dominance over world sport. Enough said. Get over it or go have a cry. (James Spank (2014))
- Pook Wook (2014)
Agreed! I'm American but I hate living here and forced fed to watch baseball, golf, car races, NFL and etc all above soccer??!!!! Absolutely ridiculous! They play all those lazy American sports on TV and barely any soccer. And even now during World Cup, Golf and Basketball still dominates on TV @$%@$%@@!!!!
- Phillip (2014)
You can take yourself to europe south america or wherever...I dont like illegal immigrants...but I hate americans who talk about our own country...so I will publicly announce I will buy you a 1 way ticket anywhere you want in the world & all you have to do is hand over your passport & publicly renounce your citizenship...
- Dumb american (2014)
Boo hoo hoo... Cry me a river... Stop with the "soccer", that's the real football... Over 200 countries call it by the real name... And you have this boring, slow, over hyped sport called american football because the ball is 1 ft long... And 99% of the " Americans " don't know that
- America (2014)
so out of your 200 countries that no one here cares about, explain why the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees are the highest paid teams in the world? Also tell me how out of the top 25 highest paid athletes 19 are either American Football players or MLB players.... hmmm sounds like out of all you soccer fans who live in huts would like watching under dressed men kick a poor man's soccer ball around then complain about America? At the least have respect for a sport like American football that has men that can bench press the whole Manchester United team while they are running faster then half they could dream of.
- Rod (2014)
Football still the number one sport in the world. And I mean real football not hand ball or whatever you call it. By the way I don't know why you said Yankees n Dodgers are top paid. Forbes says Real Madrid & Manchester United are the world's richest sports teams.
- Carlos Acosta America (2015)
Wanna no why it's because eating all that McDonald's is making your American brain fatter than it already is. If you wanna go explain why everyone in America is fat you have children who weigh 200 pounds and by the way about your brains are so messed up from obesity that u are only capable of speaking one language
- America (2014)
- Dumb american (2014)
- Phillip (2014)
- Pook Wook (2014)
Real Madrid and Barcelona, then comes Man Utd. Then come the Yankees and the Cowboys. John doe Rod (2014)
- No. It's Man Utd, then Real Madrid and after that Barcelona. Skye Jeffrey john doe (2014)
- Not at all. It's 1.Barcelona 2.Real Madrid 3. Man Utd 4.Bayern Munich 5.Liverpool 6.Juventus F.C. John Skye Jeffrey (2018)
- true rma-$3.3 billion,fcb-$3.2 billion,man utd-$3.0 billion,bayern-$2.35 billion. Adithya john doe (2016)
- Man Utd are the most popular team in the world and have more than double barcelona and real madrids fans put together, just saying. And im a Liverpool fan. Sean john doe (2016)
- Things have changed. Now Barça & RM have 600 M fans each worldwide, and ManU 700 M. On social networks both Barça and Madrid lead by far, with more than 170M followers each, while ManU have slightly more than 100 M. Almost 1 out of each 2 football fans in the world is fan of one that three teams. Out of that three, the most rapidly growing fandom is Barça's one, perhaps it will overcome ManU in # of fans in a couple of years. Quality of play and successes over last years pay dividend. Sergio Laspalas Sean (2017)
- nop 1. all nhl or nfl teams besides the browns, the maple leafs and the bruins and after it's your stupid soccer teams. Etienne Sigouin john doe (2017)
- Exactly right. They're also the 2 best football teams in the world and I will always think that. Skye Jeffrey Rod (2014)
dude great comeback and so so true... these puny Americans criticize other people for talking more than one language and will criticize you if you don't speak english like them.. FlyingNimbus924 Carlos Acosta (2016)
- Your just salty on how great America is and how great our sports are and the only reason baseball isn't as popular is because the world thinks it's to hard to play and Gomes up like the losers they are while America, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico are actuly athletes and dominate at the hardest sport in the world 1 Micah (2019)
- Americans think no further then their shores of the states. and borders. "remember" they are the greatest"BUT only in their minds, i say. They sure are dragging in the mud now spring into summer, 2020 I'm Canadian. Trumps bragging they are greatest makes me sick. it's hard living next door when you hear how much he's missing his golf. he misses his other sports to watch too, but not football/ soccer, it's HIS football, a contact, ruff and tumble so called sport. yes i agree football in the real world is best and our canadian games is doing pretty darn good too. we as canadians must look east or west and stop looking south to become a better country.. Marie (2020)
- Soccer is the easiest game on the planet thats why every child in the US plays it (from Trap God Zac (2019))
- lol. We blow countries up for sport. That's our real sport. Quit getting so hurt over sports when I'm sure we've given you something to actually be hurt about. (Me Carlos Acosta (2015))
way to turn a sports debate into an international war. the u.s is all about wars. they even fought and killed each other, that's how much warmongers you lot are. Say it ain't so Me (2016)
- We had one civil war which was mainly over the right or should say wrong about slaves. The American people do not want wars but the government and many power brokers do. Plus the power brokers create enemies to justify bloated miltary spending which is more than the next 11 nations combined and still say that is not enough. Most times we get lied into wars or create exaggerated threats. In the 19th century we had British deserters and then complains sand created an enemy by lies. In the early 20th century in WW 1 we live with the help of the British about the Lusitania which clearly contained munitions and helped turn American public against Germany by a lie. We lied to go into Vietnam. We lied we would not expand NATO to the East. Obama and Merkel organized a coup of an elected government in Ukraine because they were Putin's puppet and not our puppet and then blame. Putin for agressiom. We start a war in Syria and crated ISIS maybe by accident and then lie again about Putin. We lie that Putin riggs elections in Russia and complain. if not lie about Russian influence in elections when the US has influenced and in some cases rigged more elections than any nation in world history including the 1996 Russian Presidential elections. About the only time our country told the truth was about the atrocities of Hitler and we cried. Wolf so many times people first did not believe it. There are a lot of great things about America but many times our foreign policy is fairly pathetic. Frank (2017)
- Civil wars happen in more countries than u know.Jess (2017)
We saved you in world war 2 so don't call us fat, most of us aren't anyways. Soysauceyy Carlos Acosta (2016)
- You didn't save much, Russians won that war they had the most casualties and they won the most battles. Anyone with a little bit of History Sense on World War II would know that personally I don't know that about Americans though. Ricardo (2016)
- you never saved anyone,you only came along when pearl harbour got destroyed,jeez you couldnt even win vietnam with all that massive american firepower against an army of families of rice pickers who outwitted your every move,saying that you are the only country to use nuclear weapons,if thats something you wanna be proud of then batter on.
- Right, your country was just hiding in shelters biding it's time to make it's big move...maybe Churchill pleaded with us to get in the war because he was loney? I respect the U.K. for making their stand but you need to respect some history. And we could have won Vietnam if we were monsters. Shouldn't have been there in the first place but if anyone knows a thing or two about that it's the fossil that is England. Reed Pedro Skirving (2017)
- Why don't we end this argument, all you football fans need to start enjoying the art of soccer, aka futbol. Soccer has the highest paid players in the world, the most talented people on the world, and even the hardest working players in the world. For example, Messi had a hormone degenerative disease that made him grow at an astoundingly low rate, but that sure as hell didn't stop him. Why don't you cavemen go back in your caves and come out when you realize what sport is actually the best; Soccer! Zack Reed (2017)
- Soccer is the easiest game on the planet thats why its our childrens first sport here. Trap God Zack (2019)
- Soccer isn't that easy it requires overall stamina balance agility and speed something American Football and Baseball don't have. It's so easy yet Americans are so clumsy at it. Ricardo Trap God (2019)
- American football STILL #1 in America got a point about America not playing soccer BUT some do anyways why would anybody just kick a ball in a goal like WTF. Zac Zack (2018)
- No, No.1 in the USA is Baseball not American Football. Mikeorgan1955 Zac (2019)
- Whodafukisu Reed (2017)
lol this guys said u need to respect history...thats why america only stepped in at the end when most of the armies are dead low on supplies and all about to give in and then they step in at the end with least effort to say we won the war and set rules for other countries get outa here u guys welll know germany would eat america head on
- Mikeorgan1955 whodafukisu (2019)
Alexander the Great would be proud of those tactics so how can you blame them and I am a Brit. But seriously when the US do get into wars at the sharp end aka Vietnam and Afghanistan things do not go well for them. The problem for the US is that wars which they join late have the ground rules in place so the troops can fight without the stupid handcuffs locked on by Congress, wars they start or get involved with at the start they usually have an idiotic President and Congress running the show. I am ex Royal Navy and had two stints on US ships. The one thing I can say is they are just as professional as we are, if I have a negative thing to say its that they don't have anything decent to drink and our beer ration was not allowed on secondment, however I did get to catch up whilst back on board my own ship.On the reverse when they came aboard my ship on secondment they didn't have a ration but we made sure they didn't go without often with the permission of the Master at Arms and a donation from the Captains locker, after all we only got 3 cans so not enough to share.
- im 100% positive Germany isnt a super power. there is only one Super Power and you aint part of it. Trap God whodafukisu (2019)
- Oh my god. Are you stupid? We came when churchill asked, then we sent EXTRA when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, then later we tried to save South Vietnam, and there "rice pickers" Which are called farmers, but WE realized its their problem, and we are done fighting against the Viet Cong. Don't criticize Americans. We will beat you up, and spit you out. Not all Americans are like that, we are just protective of OUR freedom. And Carlos, srsly? Don't disrespect America. America is a superpower in technology, get your facts straight, or get out. Mr. I dont care. Pedro Skirving (2016)
- Daayum Ali Mr. I dont care. (2017)
By the time you had planned to invade north France, the soviets where at the gates of Warsaw. The Americans didn't even have huge losses such as the British and the Soviet Union, hell even the British raj made sure they don't break into Burma with basic equipment
- Frank Pedro Skirving (2017)
How did the Fench make out in Vietnam remember in the late 70s when China attacked Vietnam when the Vietnamese had a falling out with the extreme tyranical Khmer Rouge and Chj a said they were going to teach Vietnam as lessons and China within. a few weeks withdrew because they were the ones being taught a lesson
- Andycw67 Soysauceyy (2017)
You didn't save anyone. Without Russia we would all be speaking German.
- Multiplataformgamerz andycw67 (2017)
you said it sir, truth be told. <united states="" of=""> America (they don't deserve the "america")? hahahaha, Russia, that is all, Hitler made the mistake of invading the wrong country, or else we would be watching Hitler pics everywhere in the streets.
- Coolio Soysauceyy (2016)
Yes if u call waiting on the sidelines until both sides are weak and tired and then america comes along all fresh and showered face it u ran away from both wars until the end and not only that profited from hiding by buying up a lot of major companies that were affected by the war that's the only reason america is rich most of ur existence u have no history cuz u were always hiding and america is the only country that thinks america is great.
- Lcole Coolio (2020)
Ok but if america didnt come in the axis powers would have won ( which means more communism) so do you wish that we never came in and helped
- Bob Soysauceyy (2018)
Didn't the US only fight the last year or so in WW2? In any case it wasn't the US that did anything. It was the whole Allied forces meaning the US, Canada, New Zealand, etc. Technically France as well, but they weren't too effective.
Trap God Bob (2019)
Hey look at war production. The allies stood no chance against the German army without the US war production. Britain made about half what the US did. if that. 300k aircraft from the US. British Empire had 177k. NOW you honestly think that Russia would have let off the gas without the US? Britain would by the Isle of Russia now.
- Joshua f stevens Carlos Acosta (2015)
We're fat because we can afford food. If it wasn't for us you'd be speaking a different language. Why are you so but hurt because America doesn't care about soccer. Do we cry you don't care about football? No, probably because we're not all emotional. I'd of much rather seen something you said that was halfway intelligent and agreed with you, but you gotta stereotype a nation, because you disagree with the sports? Newsflash... all black people don't eat KFC, watermelon and listen to rap music. All Americans don't eat McDonald's and watch football. 2
- Sto cazzo joshua f stevens (2016)
And what if we would speak a difference language? You Americans don't realize that the language you speak is borrowed from England? You guys act like you own it! Please...
- Yasmedic Sto cazzo (2016)
I find it so ironic that you said that "Americans" act like they own the language. Yet you refer to people from the US as "Americans." Which only shows your level of ignorance about the language. I say that because you are oblivious to the fact that "America" is not the name of a country and "Americans" in not the name of people from one specific country. Rather it is a name that was stolen by a very selfish country. The name "America" has been distorted by the empire of the United States. "Unitedstatians" (literal translation of "Estadounidenses," as they are also known in Latin America) did not invented the name America. The first recorded use of the name America is from 1507. That year Martin Waldseemüller produced a map of a what is now known as the American Continent. He named this new world "America," in commemoration of the great explorer Amerigo Vespucci. His map showed only one whole continent and not two or three parts to it. But many years later (hundreds of years, actually) in a selfish move, one country decided to adopt the name America as its own and to start calling themselves "Americans." When in reality anyone born in the continent of America is an American. Because of their elevated ego and incredible love for creating separation, not only did they claim the name America and Americans for themselves, but they also decided to separate the continent into two imaginary parts or continents ("North" and "South" America) and teach it in their schools as the right way. Eventually creating even more separation by creating a fastidious third continent, or sub continent, referred to as Central America. However lets not forget that first person to name the whole mass of land as "America" and as ONE continent did so in 1507, about 270 years before the U.S. became a country, or should I say a supreme empire? But it took even more years before the name was officially adopted as their own by the Unitedstatians.
- Michael Cummins Yasmedic (2017)
Look i got nothing against anyone. Even hate the whole idea people have oh but we saved you. There was no saving there was a teamwork among different countries that won that war. Teamwork was the key and the thing about being called americans i understand your point on unitedstatians. You are american just like i am both british and european. To say you are not american you are saying you are not born in any of those countries that reside in America. If you are born in the US you are both Unitedstatians and american. If someone calls you american then they are not wrong. You can't say they are but because they are not. You can inform them i prefere unitedstatians if you want but can not say i am not american cause that would be wrong.
- Jacob Bodnovits Yasmedic (2017)
So basically we stole the name "american" and proceeded to act like English was our own language? How does this make him ignorant, and how does that give your argument any real value?
- Reed Yasmedic (2020)
Look at all the work you put into sounding like an a s s .
- Sven Rolf Bennewitz Yasmedic (2018)
Hey, what should they have done? They had to find a name for 13 states that didn't even really want to be together that much. Keep calling it British-America? Not really. (Actually, it needed many decades into the 19th century to get a national feeling, a great factor had been a gigantic flag on a fort from the War of 1812, which is the root of the "Star sprangled Banner", but I'm going too far.)
- America was the logical solution, and calling themselves United States of America does NOT mean that they would be the only Americans but that they were a few selected areas of America that united. Oh, and you can blame James K. Polk for America possessing an almost continent-big country. The same could be said about Macedonia, Belarus, Central Africa, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, the former United African Republic (= Egypt + Syria) or even better the former United Provinces of Río de la Plata (= Argentina + Uruguay), initially known as United Provinces of (South) America, as they would have liked to unite whole South America.
- Sto cazzo Yasmedic (2016)
I called them Americans because I had never heard of the word Unitedstatians before you mentioned it. Probably you're right, it's due to my own ignorance, but you know, when you learn a foreign language, and English is one for me, you end up talking the way you hear other people talking. I live in Australia, when people say "Americans" 99.9% of the time they're meaning the inhabitants of the USA.
- Yasmedic Sto cazzo (2016)
You are right, a lot of people use the term "America" and "Americans" to refer to the US and people from there. Which is exactly what most of them want. i say most because I am a US Citizen but I do NOT call myself an American. I think that it's tme for all Americans - all people born in the American continent - to take their righteous title back. In a similar way that I think Hispanics need to stop calling themselves "Latin." Many languages derived from Latin, yet people who speak those languages are not referred to as Latin or Latinos. Italian, Portuguese, and other languages fall under that category. According to a linguistics professor, whom I can't recall his name and I wish I could, Latins is not the correct term to use to describe native Spanish speakers. Spanish native speakers are Hispanics because their language originated in Hispania, now known has Spain. That explains a lot and answers some of the questions I've had since I was a young girl. Anyhow, no biggie, take care! By the way, your attitude says a lot about your fellow country men, or at least about yourself. People from this country would had replied with insults. It seems that us Unitedstatians love insulting others who question our wisdom. My compliments to you.
- Sto cazzo Yasmedic (2016)
Thank you for the appreciation, it's becoming more and more rare nowadays, especially on the net. I don't know about my fellow countrymen, I can't talk about them: me, I like being civilised when I discuss with someone. Which part of the USA are you from?
- Yasmedic Sto cazzo (2016)
I was not born in the US, but my dad was Native American and he wanted me to come live here. So I moved here, to California when I was little. I love this country and would probably die defending it. I said probably because I would refuse to go to war due politicians' irresponsible behavior, such as Bush's. Bush was just an idiot and he cost a lot of young young soldiers their lives. I would never fight for politicians that won't send their own kids to war. Which is exactly what will happen if Trumps gets elected. But that's a different story. Politeness, courtesy, and general good matters is a rare commodity now days. Every is out to get everyone else. I sometimes am guilty of that, but when I turn mean is when I speak up for others. I've always hated people who pick on others just to project their own unhappiness onto others. Happy people don't go around the interner or in person putting others down. They project their happiness into others through smiles, positive comments, and everything they do. I assume by your name you are Italian, right? I've always wanted to visit Europe and Italy is near the top of the list. Only second to Spain. I would love to do the long pilgrimage walk across Spain. A famous walk. May be one day.
- Event Horizon Yasmedic (2017)
his last name is a curse word and frankly i don't know if that's his actual last name or if it was just a joke
- Sto cazzo Yasmedic (2016)
Your dad was Native American and you weren't born in the USA? That's interesting! So just out of curiosity: where were you born?
Yes, I'm from Italy but I'm currently living in Australia, that's where I learnt my English. I currently live in Sydney. Where do you live in California? You're talking about "El camino de Santiago": it's very popular over there, in between Spanish people and foreigners. I lived in Spain for almost six and a half years, but I never did it: I went to Santiago de Compostela though, back in 2008 I think: beautiful city!
- Asnath Colson Sto cazzo (2017)
Native Americans travel and live all over the world like anybody else without losing the "Native". Duh.
- Yasmedic Sto cazzo (2016)
I was born in Costa Rica. Nice, I want to learn Italian or Portuguese. Those are two languages that attract me a lot. I live in Los Angeles, California. I would love to live in Europe for a while. I have come to realize that the only way you can really get a feel of the people and culture of a country, is to live there for a while. Unfortunately, I don't have the education of connections to open the doors for me. I would love to do El Camino walk some day. I would also like to do some trekking across Europe. I've met a few people who have done it with very little money.
- Sto cazzo Yasmedic (2016)
Costa Rica? Wow! Yo hablo español también! Estás en Fb?
- Sven Rolf Bennewitz Yasmedic (2018)
Actually, the term US-American is very common in Germany. However it is ugly for the language sound, which is why German dictionaries definitely propose to use just American for US people as long as it is clear that the US are meant, and I find it right. American has many meanings, in that case the meaning is clear, and US-American would only be an unnecessary tautology.
- Nana Darko Amoah-Mensah Sto cazzo (2016)
I speak twi, english, french, and spanish, and creole... Im americannnnn
- Asnath Colson Nana Darko Amoah-Mensah (2017)
You speak Creole? Haitian Creole? I do too. I was born in Haiti. Mwen sé Ayitian. Je suis Haitienne. Soy Haitiana.
- Chris Yasmedic (2017)
I don't think you can call American Football a bunch of wussies - compared to soccer after a professional game it's like they have been in 32 car crashes. Like you to suggest that soccer players do the same and then you're a dead wrong
- Asnath Colson Yasmedic (2017)
When the world says "America", it means the United STATES. Not the continent America. Viva USA!! And the whole world bows down to America!!! Time to bow!!
- Yasmedic Asnath Colson (2017)
Yeah yeah, whatever you say little boy
- Gavin joshua f stevens (2017)
If it wasn't for you we would be talking a different language??, Give your head a wobble fella. You don't show up to the party until it's basically over
- Nana Darko Amoah-Mensah joshua f stevens (2016)
Um correction I agree iwth you but I watch Futbol nd am going to college for Futbol and you see how much Futbol impacts the world...
- Coolio joshua f stevens (2016)
Dafuq we would be speaking a diff language mate english is our language u bunch of copycats if you mean we would be speaking a diff language because u made english great then mate ur clearly dillusional most americans are im afraid u only came in power after britain used a lot of their resources during world war 1 and 2 and u stayed on the sidelines until both sides were weak and came in like ur some kind of heroes america contributed the least in both wars britain and russia contributed the most and the reason why U dont speak german and also the queen is still the most powerful person on this planet she can make or break a country without a reason including and if u dont believe that then u r a stupid american of course she wouldnt actually do that but has all the power to do so
- Jess Coolio (2017)
I trust u that the queen has great power but do not under estimate America. 13 colonies were ruled by Britain then they broke away from Britain due to taxation. What were they supposed to do, invent entirely new language other than the one they have known their whole lives.
- Bob Dylan Coolio (2016)
Umm...., your queen is nothing but an old puppet with absolutely no power. She just the remnants of an old/dysfunctional method of running a country.
- Asnath Colson Bob Dylan (2017)
True that. Queen is a relic of a long, long, dinosaur-age past.
Al Coolio (2016)
Aside from the massive financial support and equipment provided to the UK and Russia. . . sure, we did nothing until later. Why should we have? There was hardly any threat to our own nation. YOu were only involved because you were attacked. If some nation had attacked the US, do you think the UK would have been gung ho to join in to help us?
- David McCormick Al (2018)
That massive financial support the UK made a final repayment of $83million Dec 31, 2006? Really altruistic behaviour from an Ally and Leader Of the Free World - which joined the (Sept) 1939-45 World War II in December 1941, only reaching full fighting capacity in Europe and the Pacific 1943/44. Still an improvement on what the US calls the 1917-18 World War I, or Great War that everyone else had been fighting to retain their freedom from 1914!
- And, YES, the UK and other allies of the US have proven over and over again they will put the blood of their Heroes alongside those from the United States.
- Jonny Al (2016)
Germany invaded Poland in WW2 to which Britain then declared war against Germany.
- Say it ain't so joshua f stevens (2016)
not all black people eat watermelons but i've seen a black guy get hit with a watermelon.
- Ricardo joshua f stevens (2016)
Your fat because of your poor choice in diet. Fast food and frozen are not necessarily gourmet food lol
- Zac Carlos Acosta (2018)
There are fat people all over the world. (Makes no sense)
- Torey Crosby Carlos Acosta (2016)
Correction, we only need to speak one language, American. Lol.
- George Koen America (2015)
America is a wealthy nation and can afford topay. Just because you have a higher salary does not mean you have a better or more popular sport. Ever watched rugby? Now there's a man's sport.
- Alex Ferreira George Koen (2016)
True and who cares how much you get american football players have cash real football players have skill
- Michael Alex Ferreira (2016)
The NFL is full of athletes, much better than any other country, if we focused on a specific sport, and put our best athletes to practice learn and play, we dominate every sport, every single year, hell the women's soccer team got gold in London, and we're 10th worldwide in rugby league, 2 sports we could care less about. Look at the Olympics, and tell me we don't have the fastest, strongest, and proudest group of athletes in the world. Soccer, or football whatever you want to call it is a difficult sport, but you don't give American football players enough credit, we pause every 10 seconds to strategize and give the players a break so that every single play, we see 100 percent energy. Unlike Rugby or soccer where teams are constantly going, and the game slows down in the last 15 minutes. The 4th quarter in american football is the best one because the players, although tired still have the energy to make plays. We wear pads because we don't want our 100 million dollar athletes to get injured more than they already do, the NFL woukd lose too much money, unlike rugby, where there is a concussion every 2 seconds, and it'a hard to have a favorite player because they're always out. And there is no strategy, they just tackle each other and run, it just seems pointless. The point is that no matter what sport it is, yo go pro isn't a walk in the park, so stop acting like it is, especially American football, where the average 40 yard dash is 4.5 seconds amongst wrs running backs and dbs. And don't complain about the name, because it shouldn't be called "handball", it began without any knowledge if how to score touchdowns, and field goals made up a majority of the points, and it's been football ever since. So never underestimate America, The NFL, The Athletes, because we are the BEST. IN. THE. WORLD. Period. If you wanna argue, look at the olympics total medal and gold medal count.
- Say it ain't so Michael (2016)
i think you & a lot of others have drifted from the original point which is that football is the most popular sport in the world. whereas hand ball (nfl american style football) is 9 places in the bottom of that list. you could argue til you're blue in the face, won't change a thing. facts are facts.
- David Small Michael (2016)
More medals could either mean better facilities or better performance enhancing drugs or a little of both!
- Evan Kernaghan David Small (2016)
They have testing for that....
- Jake Michael (2016)
No offence but although this makes since your a bit of a hypocrite, you said no sport is a walk in the park or easy to be good at, but then said rugby is pointless with no strategy and if you focused on it you would easily have the best team. There is actually just as much skill and strategy needed to play rugby or football as there is american football. Any athlete in the world, no matter what they do have to train and put the hard work in no matter what sport they play
- Nadike Samaranayake Michael (2016)
No you can't dominate every sport. because human resources are limited. And those sports are only popular in usa, because americans grow up with them, ur parents play it. u see, hear those sports since ur chilhood. So Americans don't even know how great those other sports are. Best example is Baseball. Baseball is a very boring game and Cricket is much more beautiful happening game. Specially T20 Cricket. If americans get to see it from their childhood they'll never watch baseball. Even america has lot of medals in Olympics, those sports are not popular at all. If you take those top ten sports, 3 of them are there only because of high population of usa. Only americans play them. I don't know anything abt golf, but in other sports usa is only good in volleyball and u r not dominant in volleyball at all. Also pls don't talk abt women's sport as a man. Americans are only good at sports that other countries do not care. Sports that other countries do not allocate their resources. Now you get it?
- David Small Michael (2016)
The NFL is the only major sport where it is acceptable for players at various positions to be overweight!!!!! If you call a 350lb 6-2 nose tackle a good athlete you are soooooo all alone on that one!!;
- Smoky_the_Bear David Small (2016)
That's my biggest problem with the sport tbh. Lots of the players simply need physical attributes of being either really big, really fast, or a combination of both. They are great athletes, undeniable, but they don't require any technical skills to be good, they don't need to be able to kick, or pass, or do much at all except run in the direction they are told/stand there and block, which they are told every minute and a half because the game is ridiculously over-micromanaged. It's all put on 2-3 players to do anything worthwhile at all, other than that it's simply a contest of size, speed and strength for the vast majority of the players.
- Brandon Heetebrij David Small (2017)
Aaron Gibson (401 pounds) ran a 4.71 on his 40 yard dash, just because hes heavy does not mean hes not an incredible athlete.
- Torey Crosby David Small (2016)
When you realize that some of those 350lbs guys can beat a soccer player in a foot race then maybe you'll see the light. That's like asking, why are Japanese sumo wrestlers overweight. Because of you send a soccer player in there with sumo wrestler, he'll get whipped.
- Steven May Michael (2016)
A more more accurate way of Olympic success is: Olympic Medals per capita: USA ranks only 43rd in the world. A medal per 2.6M people. Countries like NZ average a medal per 255,000 people and Australia an olympic medal per 820,000 inhabitants. Maybe your athletes are not quite as good as you think?
- Ezra Michael (2016)
American football is just the soft version of rugby and it should be called handball because 30% of the game actually involves kicking the ball and NFL athletes don't compete in the Olympics
- Sven Rolf Bennewitz Ezra (2018)
They do not even compete in the official American Football World Cup, because they're too busy with their load-of-money-private-league. Instead the World Cup is only played by amateurs, nill NFL players. (That's the big problems with American sports, their money "leagues" are privately organised and under no sporting confederation, so they do not have to give any player away for a great tournament. Any other country in the world would understand that the national team and international competitions are so much more important then a damn league at home and it's absurd super important Super Bowl or NHL rings. But hey, better for us, as this helped Germany to reach and play (a great) Olympic Ice Hockey final.)
- Sto cazzo Michael (2016)
Of course! Bigger population, more medals. If think it's logical...
- Bob Dylan Sto cazzo (2016)
Probably dude. That's why India has the most medals every year right? Nope. Medal count is directly correlated to the strength of a country's economy.
- Pedro Skirving Michael (2016)
I had a look and unfortunately america hasn't won any olympic medals in american football, i'm basing that on your post basing it around that sport "American football was featured in the Summer Olympic Games demonstration program in 1904 and 1932. College football was played at the 1904 Olympics, which was played at Francis Field. The sport was eventually played only once in 1932. Though American football has not been played in the Olympics since then"
- Evan Kernaghan Michael (2016)
Wow finally someone gets it
- Ricardo Michael (2016)
You can thank your african-american athletes for most of those gold medals they had to go to slavery in all yet americans still racist. How many gold medals did white america win?
- Evan Kernaghan ricardo (2016)
Yah because America is multicultural. Half the Russian skaters are Asian, this happens all over the world
- Ricardo Evan Kernaghan (2016)
It was the same thing almost years 100 ago the difference was blacks had to sit at the end of the bus. Pretty pathetic for a self acclaimed freest country in the world.
- Riyfkm George Koen (2016)
Americans are brain washed so much that they forget to question their basics... A country where 80% of the people are in huge debt.... Live in huge debt... Still think they are better off than Europeans....
- Leo iglesias America (2014)
19 out of top 25 paid athletes are not baseball and american football players LOL. ronaldo and Messi earn more than any of the american players LOL http://www.topendsports.com...
- The Colection Leo iglesias (2015)
Apparently money has everything to do with a sports dominance or superiority....
- Say it ain't so the Colection (2016)
lol good one. dude you made me laugh out loud, literally.
- American football Leo iglesias (2016)
Exactly they are overpaid: Marcus Tsitsikronis Leo iglesias (2014). Inncorrect Lebron James earns more than Messi
- Tyler Janes Marcus Tsitsikronis (2016)
Incorrect, lebron makes 30 mil usd and messi makes 40 mil euro
- Rob Admin Tyler Janes (2017)
In the most recent top earners list, Messi ($81 million) is just on top of LeBron ($77 million)
- Danny Carinder Marcus Tsitsikronis (2016)
Ronaldo is the highest worth athlete, Jess Marcus Tsitsikronis (2017). Bro it is obvious that Messi is paid more than LeBron
- Evan Kernaghan Leo iglesias (2016)
You idiot there's endorsements and Messi and Ronaldo are two of the six that aren't MLB OR NFL
- Tony America (2014)
Really oh please tell me more of why they have to stop every five seconds after hugging and touching eachother while balls get thrown to them please tell me how soccer players are so not athletic and pathetic to American football players. Yes football players are stronger but they just tackle eachother with is my much skill period. Stop crying because you sport isn't the most watched in the world so accept it and move on
- Jess Tony (2017)
Wow some one gets it. I am a US citizen BTW. I play soccer ( football) and people always say false crap like hon american football is the world's most popular sport and whatever and by far it is not. Table Tennis is even more popular than it.
- Whodafukisu America (2016)
wow lmao did u really just say american football players run faster then soccer players.......get out of here
- Anthony10 America (2016)
why cant all you stop being racist, America is made up from people from all around the world the original sport was Soccer but then we got hockey in Canada and football in America they're all sports enjoy them. don't fight about i play soccer football hockey and volleyball, they're all great sports. Soccer requires concentration agility strength and mental fitness so does football and hockey and almost every sport. when you make fun of Americans you just are making fun of your own people and other nation's. i respect every sport like a nice person.
- Say it ain't so Anthony10 (2016)
well said. somehow people from both sides of the debate have turned this into a united nations argument. won't be long before someone mentions someone else's mother and then it'll go downhill.
- Say it ain't so David McCormick (2018)
Lol thank you 🤝
- Cavs_Addict America (2015)
American Football is one of the most boring sports ever created. Starts and stop continuously. It's all about tv, commercials and making money. There is no other sport in the world as gay as American Football. The men wear tights. What are their positions (tignt end, wide receiver etc.).
- Pedro Skirving Cavs_Addict (2016)
yoy shpuld maybe sit down and watch it its actually quite an entertaining sport,take away the breaks and advertising and it would maybe catch more peoples imagination,but thats how they make their cash
- No disrespect Cavs_Addict (2016)
you have no idea what you're talking about
- Torey Crosby Cavs_Addict (2016)
I would love to see you play some line backer or running back and then u write an essay on how easy that felt.
- And American football in the only sport where women can't play at nowhere near the level that a man can play
- Kaitlyn Cottam Cavs_Addict (2015)
Any sport is fun to watch if you actually know what you're talking about. The clothing is part of the uniform and it is there for a purpose. That doesn't make someone or something gay.
- Chris America (2015)
Yeah there all ridiculously over paid. it's like rugby for poofs lol. typical American, only cares about who can bench press the most lol. oh and women also play football to. there's no point a women playing American football. as they might as well be playing netball lol Americans have to be different. so they try and invent there own shifty sport. that no one else cares about lol
- Skye Jeffrey America (2014)
Man U are the highest paid team along with Real Madrid which, by the way, are the 2 best football teams in the world.
- Bookie Skye Jeffrey (2015)
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but the highest paid teas of 2015 are Real Madrid and Dallas cowboys both valued to be worth around 4 billion dollars. After those two then comes the Yankees and Barcelona... and finally at 5 comes Manchester United valued at 3.10 billion dollars.
- Evan Kernaghan Skye Jeffrey (2016)
Really how's the Europa league best team in the world
- Adithya Skye Jeffrey (2016)
man u is no match to rma or fcb.They waste bucks on wrong players
- BlueDragon America (2017)
Please try and overcome your pompis American ignorance, try reading a book (if you can). Clearly you have no understanding of the world outside your front door. It must suck to have such a narrow small minded view of the world, maybe someday you'll be able to grow out of your childhood ignorance, not likely, but I wish you good luck and good skill.
- Yasmedic America (2016)
Very simple, the rest of the world understand that if you overpay athletes their ego grows with ebery dollar and they stop playing for for the love of the game and start playing for the love of money. In the US, 99.9% of players go where there pay them the most. Which is not always true for most athletes in the world. They often go where they can gain the most training and experience. The problem of teams needed more and more money to feed their players hunger for money is never ending. To the point that now some leagues have adopted a salary cap. When I was a kid you coukd watch baseball games free on TV, now days most baseball games can only be seen on cable. Forcing people to pay if they are baseball fans. Boxing could be watch on HBO, Showtime, and other cable channels at nonextra cost than the price of cable and a monthly fee to sccess to HBO and the like. Now days most decent fights are all pay per view. Capitalism is eating the people of this country alive.
- Chuggon America (2014)
That's just straight up not true. There are only 2 american football players in the top 25 and absolutely no MLB players whatsoever.
- Arsenal America (2016)
hey, american football, and baseball require no effort. I bet that Ronaldo could bench press more than odel beckham. I bet you would like to see men rolling around with each other trying to catch a ball. Soccer is obviously the best sport. If it isn't than why do so many people play soccer more that baseball or soccer?
- No disrespect arsenal (2016)
you're just being disrespectful. everyone has their own preferences and interests, why are you forcing someone to like a sport that they don't like? different body types are meant for different sports, doesn't mean that ronaldo is superior to odell beckham. soccer isn't the best sport, it's just more globally known, and easier to access, considering you only need a ball and a space to play in, while american football requires gear due to its risks and other issues, and requires different types of people for different positions.
- Wut arsenal (2016)
Arsenal if a pro pitcher threw a thousand baseballs at you would not hit any of them. And really Ronaldo vs nfl players in physical tests. He would get his ass kicked and unlike soccer the ref would not say anything to the player who hit him. And ohh don't even get me started on a foot race.
- Omar F America (2018)
I do respect all the sports played in America...it just piss me off when they invent a sport that is played only in their country and the winner is a "WORLD CHAMPION"..????!!! The same thing with basketball and baseball...at least the last two are played in few countries around the world but the baseball Japanese and the Mexican baseball leagues champions are not considered WORLD champions. A real WORLD CHAMPION is the Real Football (foot kick ball)...not a ball carried by hand and called Football. The whole planet participates and the last 30 and something play for the World Cup....make sense...doesn't?
Daniel William Green America (2018)
Not getting into the broader argument here, but on the highest paid athletes point, you're completely wrong. 15 of the 25 don't play NFL MLB or NBA, and only 1 of the top 5 does, and 4 of the top 10.
- 1. Cristiano Ronaldo*
3. Lionel Messi*
4. Roger Federer*
5. Kevin Durant
T6. Rory McIlroy*
T6. Andrew Luck
8. Stephen Curry
9. James Harden
10. Lewis Hamilton*
11. Drew Brees
12. Phil Mickelson*
13. Russell Westbrook
14. Sebastian Vettel*
15. Damian Lillard
16. Novak Djokovic*
17. Tiger Woods*
19. Dwyane Wade
20. Fernando Alonso*
21. Jordan Spieth*
22. Derrick Rose
23. Usain Bolt*
t24. Connor McGregor*
t24. Gareth Bale*
- Regardless, don't confuse the funding of a sport and it's popularity. Check the stats on the page again. I don't see any field hockey or cricketers names in there. Yet more people watch cricket than all 'American' sports combined.
- Dumb Americans America (2017)
ummmmm....half of the facts that you stated are completely incorrect. First of all the highest paid athlete in the world is Cristiano Ronaldo who is paid 58 million, compared to Andrew Luck who is the highest paid american football player who only makes 47 million. Second, Arjen Robben a dutch football/soccer player set the record of 37 km/h, whereas Chris Johnson is only at 31 km/h. Furthermore, on average, a football/soccer player runs 11 km per game compared to an american football player who only runs a measly 2 km per game. so before you start insulting football I suggest that you americans go do some research before you say some dumb stuff that you made up with your hamburger filled brains.
- Alex Diaz America (2017)
Football "or Assosiation Football" is the worlds most popular sport, and idiots like you say soccer is a "simple" sport one way or another because you think it's just kicking a ball into a net. But let me tell you this, why isn't American football so simple? It's just throwing a ball to someone and running to an end zone. Sounds simple to me, or baseball, hit a ball with a bat and run in a circle. And you say "oh no it's not simple and bla bla bla" so how about you stfu because none of us true football fans (and none of your egg-ball "football") wants to hear you complain about football and how The sports in America are better, because let me tell you, the numbers above don't lie
- Francesco Cosimo Tantillo America (2016)
Ronaldo gets paid more then one whole team! Just saying
- Luck America (2016)
i guess you should do a better search america.
- Ezra America (2016)
ya cuz those players get like 10 year contracts while soccer players do 3 year contracts and have you seen the transfer fees a normal player could cost up to 25 million euros
- Devin America (2016)
How are football/ soccer player under dress.
Also player don't kick poor balls most of the balls cost $150.
Fans of soccer/ football don't live in huts because I live in LA.
- Sto cazzo America (2016)
Nobody cares about your country, not about the other 200 countries in the world. Get off your high horse
- The Milky Cow America (2016)
explain to me why a lot of nfl players go broke then?
- Danny Carinder America (2016)
Look up akinfenwa that'll change you mind about strength in the real football
- Pedro Skirving America (2016)
you do realise the love of sports overtakes the love of cash or is that just in the good old u s of a
- NOE America (2016)
Thats because USA is stupid how to waste their money...
- Toni Xing Wanliss America (2015)
highest paid "what" you must be joking you seriously need to check your fact because they can't event come close to what association Football teams make One player alone makes more than one of those teams. you must be out of your mind. As a matter of fact here is a a website Dodgers is only 5th on this list of top 10 and Yankees is even lower.
thinking smart America (2015)
its not just that i love america but you all are just to cocky, you think youre better than everyone else but in reality youre down trillion of dollars thats only getting higher. so the poeple that are living in huts come here and take youre job and a lot of you americans become homeless, the issue is that youre too cocky and in that mindset will be the downfall.
- John doe America (2014)
Here, a cookie.
- Michael America (2015)
This comment is ridiculous. The president of Real Madrid just labeled Ronaldo's price tag at 1 Billion Euro's...Manchester United could outrun more than half of the whole NFL due to the fact that it is a bunch of fat men with strength on no real intelligence. Soccer is a past paced game of skill and intelligence. While football players need a take 5 plays off after a 12 yard run. *drops mic*
- Kaitlyn Cottam Michael (2015)
That have to take the time off because that's part of the game! You make the play, and when you're tackled the play ends and you have to reset. That's how it's supposed to be played. You think they are fat but for a majority of players, that's muscle and not fat. And muscle weighs more than fat which is part of the reason they aren't able to run as fast as soccer/football players because they have to carry all the extra muscle weight of their own body. But they need that weight to be able to take down the other teams players. They are how they are because that's how they're supposed to be for the game.
- Random America (2016)
for starters, Paris Saint-Germain are the highest paid team in the world 1
- Orange America (2020)
america has the highest gdp in the world
- Jack Poewelco America (2018)
They are the highest paid team in Handball in jumps suits. And im pretty sure footballers get paid way more like bale 86odd million a year same with ronaldo. Its Only saying they get paid more because theres a smaller community meaning less professional players, meaning more money to give to one player.
- Sachin Sachy America (2018)
It's not about the money you pay to your players you idiot... It's about how many fans they have. How many watches them play...
- Nat America (2018)
American football has nothing compared to rugby they can bench press because they are pumped full of steroids........and the nfl docs hides that but we all can see it!!!!
- Unknown America (2017)
try looking up rules football sweetie, you should then develop a real understanding go what tough real sport really is.
- Multiplataformgamerz America (2017)
because they aren't? Real Madrid and Barcelona want a word with you
- Nana Darko Amoah-Mensah America (2016)
Hehehehehe The highest payed athlete is Ronaldo and Messi...
- Scott America (2016)
yeah but who makes the most cristiano ronaldo so get it p yey
- Pedro Skirving America (2016)
"At the least have respect for a sport like American football that has men that can bench press the whole Manchester United team while they are running faster then half they could dream of." Im gonnae throw something at you ,try watching a game of rugby , where they run equally as fast but is a real mans game , think gridiron but without all the protective gear, having some of those giants of sport knocking you out the park is gonnae hurt alot more than it would without the padding and head gear and im not even a rugby fan
- Say it ain't so America (2016)
if people want to pay them millions, by all means. it still doesn't mean it's the most popular, most entertaining and with more of a fan base sport in the world. tell me, what good is it paying you millions if most people won't watch you & then pay someone else thousands but will literally be watched by billions. i think football (the real football) is the clear winner here. p.s i've heard people in your own country say that some of those athletes you speak of are overpaid.
- Matthew Teague America (2016)
Actually, if you did a "worldwide" research then you would find that 5 soccer teams are paid higher salaries per person compared to the LA Dodgers... And it's not that other sports like baseball don't require strength, but the skill level and excellence in soccer is highly underrepresented in this country
- Gfhhgdjivref America (2016)
U don't even know how much messi is worth, these Americans look for rubbish sports to play.
- Gustavo casados America (2016)
Its called a salary cap.MLB dosent have one.Thats why there over paid. Foot ball players may be stronger but condition wise they wouldn't stand a chance with pro soccer players.To me baseball is girls sport any way.
- George Hillier America (2015)
So your argument is basically just money based? And ur completely wrong about richest sport teams. The players may be higher paid but that's because USA is so obsessed with sponsorship, endorsement and advertisement. How many people watched the last world cup final compared to the last superbowl??? Unfortunately ur one of many who can't see beyond American soil.
- Anon America (2015)
I'd hate to break it to you but your not even close to being right. The top 3 are two boxers and then Ronaldo. There isnt a single athlete in the top 10. The first one in the top 100 is at 11th place.
- Anon America (2015)
"no one cares about" So your saying no one cares about Russia, Spain, UK, France, Brazil etc? Damn, americans are arrogant.
- Soemone dumb american (2016)
I'm American. I've always called it soccer. But just because I'm American doesn't mean I don't hate 'football' I think it's useless and has to many positions that are very confusing. I absolutely despise football.
- Joe dumb american (2016)
slow and boring? what about soccer? guys kick the ball back n forth for two mins, then make one run defense gets it and does the same thing, not to mention you all start crying when a guy clips your heel. We don't play it here because its too slow and frankly we call em foot faireys. Yea 90 minutes of 0-0 sounds like a blast. 2
- Ezra joe (2016)
their is a commercial every two minutes in American football all they do is take some time deciding a play, do the play witch ends after like 1 minute, 2 minute commercial, then another 2 minutes of getting ready for the next play in football its a constant 45 minute half's
gg dumb american (2020)
I hate the copy football in America its basically just wrestling with a ball with the original football I like it and I'm glad it's at the top ranks
- Zac dumb american (2018)
A lot of Americans know that your just talking about people who don't play American football or people in other countrys.
- Travis dumb american (2017)
man shut up american football is great and the american football is actually 14 inches so get that straight. And it is not a over hyped sport its a past time that keeps people going. If i wanted to see people fake injuries and kick a ball around i would watch the adams family. Now just stop
- Al dumb american (2016)
The real name is "Association Football". . . not "Football". There are numerous types of "Football" including "Rugby Football", "Gaelic Football" and "American Football". All stem from similar beginnings and Soccer was a term created by. . . wait for it. . . the British (creators of Association Football) and THUS is a proper term for it. In fact, it's the term used by the majority of English speaking population in the form of Australia, Canada and the United States.
- Person dumb american (2016)
The ball is actually 11 inches long so.....
- John doe dumb american (2014)
I'm not American and I knew it.
- WestonF01 Phillip (2014)
I'm not even a rabid nationalist and I completely agree. I'll chip in with you Bill.
- Chadcunningham WestonF01 (2015)
I'll pitch in for that ticket.... he realizes how great we have it here....
- BlueDragon chadcunningham (2017)
All you have to do is actually leave the USA, And you'll realise that the idea that we "have it so good" is a farce. I do roughly 20 international trips a year. I have multiple citizenships and I can tell you with absolute certainty Phillip, Weston, and Chad your all idiots and don't even understand what aspects of this country actually make it great. Please culture yourself, read a book, maybe actually leave the states and do a little bit of personal reflection.
- Remy BlueDragon (2017)
"your all idiots" is such an ironic statement.... you're*
WestonF01 Guest (2016)
Yeah, yeah... here's your quarter. Don't spend it all in once place. Soccer.
- WestonF01 Guest (2016)
One man's honesty is another man's blathering.
- AngelOfDeath Phillip (2014)
Freedom of speech, he can say whatever he wants whether u agree or not
- Fahad Munir Phillip (2015)
Freedom of speech, that Americans don't believe in :p
- Pedro Skirving Phillip (2016)
answer me this bill why is world series baseball called world series when its only american teams that participate, also football or soccer as some call it is a sport that can be played by anyone, you dont need to go to college like basketball or gridiron and just to show you im not being biased i was a big fan of gridiron in the 80's when it was big in the uk, but football(soccer) can be played by abyone even the poorest of kids who have no soles on their shoes unlike alot of american sports that require a college degree and a wad of cash to boot
- BenFB Phillip (2015)
Hey mate, you're wrong, do you realize what would happen if people didn't talk about their own country? Also, I'm sure there are illegal immigrants working hard and providing more for this country than you have. Also, considering the fact that you're probably 13, I doubt you even have the money for the stamp needed to mail him a ticket, much less an actual flight. I don't understand how people can be so impressively idiotic. Anyways, for the record soccer is a much more popular sport, and all people want to do is watch football, soccer, baseball, etc. for fun. And considering that soccer has an overwhelming 3.5 billion fan base, with football and baseball COMBINED adding up to only 900 million, logic says your wrong.
- Alexi Thehcker28 Phillip (2018)
What are you saying to fellow americans?!
- Arabella Stafford Phillip (2017)
Exactly. This is you country this is your home and this is your planet.
- Robert Sennabaum Phillip (2017)
u said anywhere right. ill take you up on your offer lol
- Mark Richardson Phillip (2016)
This attitude is why your country sucks.
- Say it ain't so Phillip (2016)
can i take you up on that offer? i'd happily hand over my passport and renounce my citizenship. it's no biggie anyways as i do have another place overseas.
- Graham Phillip (2015)
I agree that it shouldn't be called football. The name is illogical given how the sport is played. But people who blame "white americans" have no room to argue about logic. I mean, do you really think Americans who call American football football are doing so in a scheme to beat the rest of the world? Don't be ridiculous. The NFL is a marketing GIANT in the US. It's not big in the rest of the world, but that's because it isn't spending billions to surround the rest of the world with it. That said, Americans aren't going to listen to the tv refer to the sport as football and then call it handball in conversation. What's "big" is relative, my friend. People don't decide what's popular, the media do, so try blaming them. Or continue your petty rant against Americans who have nothing against you.
- Jamie Meier Phillip (2015)
That's super. Here's an idea, how about you mind your own business? We're aware that the world calls soccer football, and we're aware that the worlds aware that we call your football soccer. Question; who cares? I don't want to be disrespectful like yourself and so I won't disrespect soccer as you do our sports. I will add, however, that I've play a lot of soccer, baseball, basketball and American football. I can't read a single thing about world wide sports without this same xenophobic commentary regarding Americans and the sports that we like. You have a preference, that's nice, guess what; so does everyone else. I played baseball more than anything else and I have never enjoyed watching it. I played basketball perhaps more than baseball (but never for a league) and I can barely care to watch it either. I've played a fair amount of soccer and while it's fun, I'd rather not sit through a game of the worlds most popular sport. No disrespect to the players, but as it turns out, we all have opinions, crazy right?
- Don't like American football? Don't watch, period. You make it sound like someone invited you...we didn't.
- Cricket makes me think of the sound that the insect makes, so nice, relaxing, it puts me right to sleep. Fun to play like any sport I guess but I haven't tried so I wouldn't know.
- World Series: why do non-Americans constantly refer to this even though they all claim to not care about it? Every conversation about American stereotypes includes your obsession with what Americans call the baseball championship. The only reason you care is because you're a bunch of anti Americans to begin with but I'll humor you and speculate as to why it's called this. First of all Canada is involved. They only have one team that participates these days (the expos are no more) but none the less it's not just Americans. Maybe the idea was that more countries would participate but it didn't work out that way? I don't know. Certainly it's a popular game, hugely popular in Japan, Canada, and South America. Perhaps one of the biggest problems is that baseball doesn't have a salary cap and so the cities with the most money can afford the best players, therefore American teams just hire the best players from around the world (mostly Canada, the U.S. South America, and Cuba). Again the question arises, why do you care enough that you always mention it?
- Another fun topic for the xenophobes is American football, you just can't stand that name can you? First of all we call it football, I know, crazy right?! Then, and get this, we put the word ammmeerrican in front of it. It's like a double whammy for the anti Americans that don't know how to mind their own business. You want to talk about pads, right? Show me American football player at a high level with the same rules of engagement and no pads. Please do this, I'd LOVE to see it and I mean that.
- Just tune out from what Americans are doing please. I'm so tired of hearing negative, unprovoked trash. Nobody asked or invited you. Don't like it? Don't watch, it's really that simple. I don't go online and make fun of your boring kickball matches that you have every four years, in fact you won't find many Americans disrespecting sports of any kind to even a small percentage of the extent that we're disrespected by the rest of the earth. Even some American above acted like he's offended by sports that he doesn't like being popular in the US. It must be so hard having sports of the earth that you're not even slightly required to notice.
- Say it ain't so Jamie Meier (2016)
technically not true. i have heard usanians say that baseball is not a real sport because u.s football is. so some people in the states also don't consider certain sports to be up to par.
- Marcus Phillip (2015)
Get me a ticket too because this poor country with a bunch that drink beer and watch cars make a bunch of left turns and watch loads fat men run around and hug each other and hope the ball slips out of there hands now American "football" needs to find a new name because football is already taken
- Ethan Becher marcus (2015)
Same. Here is the list.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- There is the top 4. Now, I am American I hate boxing and WWE, but American football is ok. The first American Footballer is #10 on the list. Honestly it is kind of dumb, but it is challenging. Football is my sport (the real kind) It takes pace, stamina, conditioning and strength just to run the match. All racing and rodeos are Bull$#@! but the worst is boxing. You cut yourself with razor blades before you fight, you punch people and you get punched, then you fall down with a broken nose and you tapout. Tapping out is stupid.
- I will gladly take a passport and a ticket to Spain or the UK, then I will be appreciated.
- George Koen Phillip (2015)
Everyone is free to have an opinion even if you do not like that. Place of birth does not require blind subservience. So,have you bought the ticket yet?
- Ronnie Pook Wook (2019)
soccer is the worst sport to ever exist
- Ronnie Pook Wook (2019)
soccer is literally one of the worst sports ever made. i dont see why its so popular over other sports
- Alex Boyer Pook Wook (2018)
Just move to Europe, matey!
- Zac Pook Wook (2018)
Basketball is 2nd with most watch on tv American football is the most watched in the United States including the superbowls
- Etienne Sigouin Pook Wook (2017)
It's cuz soccer isn't a real sports, it's just a bunch of people ona field where's there is zere action acting like they were hurt. I once saw a soccer player leave on a stretcher and he came to play back like 1 hr after. Come on
- Multiplataformgamerz etienne Sigouin (2017)
uh, well you put yourself in the liar chair.
A player can't be outside the field more than 5 minutes, or else it has to be replaced or stay out for the match (the last is very rare), and once he is replaced, he is done for the match.
- CR7Rocks Pook Wook (2016)
Pook Wook I hate living in America. I want to go to England and do something real like try to get on the Chelsea F.C Youth Academy but it cost a lot of money.
- Ndeans Pook Wook (2016)
I get it. I like the NFL myself, but I also like the English Premier League. They're just different sports (amazingly, from the same root). I'm not going to bad mouth American sports but I gotta say, the sports culture in America is extremely prejudiced and it can be frustrating when there are so many great sports out there that we can't see because of it. And in America, it's soccer, which is for the most part a sport played by children. Everywhere else in the world it's football, a sport played by men that take it to a whole different level most Americans aren't aware of.
- Clorox Bleach Pook Wook (2016)
Go to bein sports on tv, watch soccer. Don't go to ESPN or anything else. Bein Sports. Btw BARCELONA VS REAL MADRID GAME COMING UP (2016) december fourth. You are obviously not checking the right channels.
- Taaj Taj Pook Wook (2016)
Soccer is just as irrelevant in America as car races, and golf lol. Basketball and Football are top end sports in America. Soccer is extremely boring to watch so is Golf, Baseball, and Car Races.
- I love America Pook Wook (2016)
First off, I don't think you realize how lucky you are to live here. Some places life isn't this great. Second, nobody forces you to watch anything. It's a FREE COUNTRY. Also American sports aren't lazy, all sports require hard work, determination, and athleticism. Seriously you need to think about how easy your life is compared to some people out in the world. Not everyone has it easy.
- DZ Pook Wook (2016)
They broadcast what their consumers want to watch.
- HushPuppy Clan Pook Wook (2016)
American sports aren't lazy. Training for football is just as hard as training for soccer
- Mnh James Spank (2014)
Just because others in the world call it 'Football' doesn't mean us Americans have to, we'd rather not watch skinny guys run around a field and not get a single point! We'd rather watch sports we like, there's racing (many different kinds including Drag racing, NASCAR, Mud (many different kinds of that like Hammer Head), Dirt, and so on), Football (what others call 'American Football'), Darts, Dodgeball, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, I would continue but it probably wouldn't matter, you'll probably just call me some stupid name just because I don't like soccer (or what you call 'Football'). So rather than trying to be stupid and force-feed us stuff we hate and won't bother to watch, just be nice about it and stop this crap. (This goes for everyone trying to do that (Both force-feed us Americans sports we aren't interested in and correcting us for something we're not spelling wrong; If I corrected your spelling of words like 'Colour' with 'Color' you'd probably be annoyed aswell.)
- Patrick Balentine Mnh (2014)
Redneck america won't get with soccer because they think budweiser is good beer. Nfl is awesome, racing is hella pointless. Love the nba and mlb, but definitely think we need to get on board in the US. Barclays and la liga are awesome. Go watch bayern spank the panties off everyone in the bundesliga and then tell me skinny guys run around and dont score. The pr o blem with american soccer is the mls is the equivalent of sub fbs college football. Its weak.
- American Patrick Balentine (2016)
You guys make fun of the fact that Americans soccer league is not as good as yours but you guys are all quite when the Olympics come around and we are playing basketball. 2016 exhibition game USA 107 - China 57.
- Edgardlopez49 Patrick Balentine (2014)
Please there is a taste for each sport.Well rounded and educated people learns from all cultures.American Football is great, magnificent is basketball and beisball, fantastic cricket or volleyball, amusing is car racing and the king of all futbol is the master.So don't be ignorant and learn from all cultures and races of this our planet.
- Skye Jeffrey Mnh (2014)
But the word 'Football' came from our country, and in our dictionary, which totally means you have no right to change the words that we created because remember?! You became independent which means a totally different language. Plus, Cristiano Ronaldo is not skinny, he's fit unlucky stupid American 'Football' players who cheat their body by padding it. I mean, it's for you to manage not by using equipment.
- Brandon Heetebrij Skye Jeffrey (2017)
Lots of English words are variations of french words but you haven't complained about that yet
- Bob Dylan Skye Jeffrey (2016)
In the nfl combine, a defensive back benching 225lbs 15 times and running a 4.5 40 yard dash is considered subpar, I'd like to see any soccer player in the world bench 225lbs 5 times. The nfl has the best athletes in the world hands down, a soccer player going through the combine would look pathetic.
- Kaitlyn Cottam Skye Jeffrey (2015)
The word soccer was first invented in England to distinguish between rugby football and association football. So, England invented the word soccer yet, America uses that word and people in England use the word football now instead of soccer.
- John Skye Jeffrey (2014)
Hey Genius, I bet A team of American Hockey Players can become good soccer players before a team of "wherever" soccer players can transition to hockey. Thats the short of it. In soccer you run and kick and run and kick and run and kick....anybody else bored....whats the score...STILL 0-0!!!!! Hockey players play such a grueling and exhausting sport, that they only have 45 second shifts! In soccer you just need to RUN AND KICK! How hard is that? Stop ragging on American sports, and Ill stop ragging on yours!
- Yo-yo john (2014)
All you can do in hockey is take a stick and hit a small ball in to a small net tats so easy i can become a professional hockey player any day, and the goalkeeper is like twice as big as the net and the fights is totally not necessary its so stupid like come on and for ur information football (soccer) is the number 1 sport and that's why hockey is not even on the top 10 best sport 1
- Brandon Heetebrij yo-yo (2017)
its a puck, just saying.
- The Milky Cow john (2016)
try to get a ball into a goal with 6 people surrounding you that have a lot of skill
- Carlos Acosta john (2015)
Woah soccer is not meant to be as exausting as hockey but it takes skill. You try kicking a so it twists in midair and scores a goal
- Football aka soccer is awesome john (2015)
dude, in my school people try playing soccer, but the don't move 5 feet before i take the ball, in hockey, the rink is so small, you need to be more fit for soccer, like 20 min shifts of running up n down, i learned to skate in a few hrs, but took me months to be good at soccer
- Heroes football aka soccer is awesome (2016)
honestly, you sound so full of it. Futball is a great sport and I believe Ronaldo to be one of the greatest athletes. I also believe Crosby to be one of the greatest and Tiger woods the greatest of them all. Hockey is not an easy sport to play at all. Learned to skate in a couple hours? Yeah right. Just like any sport youtube hockey stick handling. Understand that you need to be aware of where every player is on the ice and you can never look down or lose focus without the threat of being stretchered off of the ice. Hockey players are arguably the toughest athletes that play a team sport. Futball players cry and flail like little girls. If you dive in hockey you get penalized and then fined. Remember that I am a fan of the sport futball (Real and Spain!) but hockey is my national sport and I have a lot of respect for the sport.
- This is off topic but no one has mentioned golf. Golf is by far the most difficult sport in the world. Although you don't need to strength train x100 to be a pro and heavy guys can be good (Phil Mickelson is a little doughy but he's won almost 50 times).
- What Tiger did in golf will never be repeated and no one will dominate a sport like he did from 99-08 then again 8 wins 12-13.
- Think about like this, I can play futball, football, volleyball, baseball, basketball etc. without much training because I am athletic. I may not be even close to a pro level but I can get my buddies and go and play and actually make plays and contribute. Go play golf. go try it out. I would be surprised if someone who was athletic but never really played was able to hit the ball. then hit the ball straight. then take less than 120 shots. I can't fathom how someone could shoot that poorly ( I've played for 10+ years) but the reality is, the average player (amateur) shoots around 90. Which to me isn't enjoyable and I would quit. Conversely, as long as I'm not playing team sports with long time players, I wouldn't stand out as plain awful.
- I played futball a handful of years ago with guys who played at the the college level. And if I tried to move the ball myself long distances my pocket was picked easily. I wasn't dangled as easily but I was one of the lesser players on the field. But I still contributed with some nice passes/steals and didn't give it away too much (I tried not to get the ball too frequently).
- ALL sports are very technical and very difficult to achieve at the highest levels. There is relativity in the arguments. Like how many pro clubs there are to try and make it pro. I was once told that under 3% of people who try and excel and achieve pro level in hockey make the main stage. European clubs aren't a destination many players want to go (i.e NHL is filled with skilled euros). There is only 28 teams? I can't keep count as they just added Las Vegas, YUK!
- Last but no least, a lot of people are ripping baseball. I actually love baseball. Watch the pitchers. That is where the skill is just amazing.
- Basketball and football are terrible. IMO. My good buddies love both. like just talk about it all the time, boring!!! But I know about sport, I read about sport and understand the game with most (minus cricket, rugby as they are not big in Canada)
- Tennis is also an amazing sport with very skilled athletes. No one is talkng about tennis. Fav sports go Golf, hockey, baseball, tennis/futball tied. This mostly is because of the environment I was raised. I have played league/club futball, baseball golf and jiu jitsu. I played years of league basketball and realy enjoyed playing. But watching the non hustle and fouls at the end of the game. The fact that you only need 5-8 good players to win a championship. Not for me. Never played footall outside of tackle ball with the boys in a big field. AND hockey I never played. why? I am not good on the ice. I love hockey. EVERYONE I know has played hockey. But like I said I played everything else.
- THAT WAS A LONG RANT. I never want to be ignorant or rude but after reading these comments for 2 hours (a passion of mine to understand human interaction and develop better argumentative skills and logic) I started to get a little testy. THEN you said the thing about hockey and I was like enough is enough. ( 9 months ago and this thread is old so I may be doing this in vain)
- Like southpark said. viva la resistance!
- Adele Kieser Mnh (2014)
Haha colour is correct! It is English! The language Americans have taken and bastardized.
- Jim Adele Kieser (2015)
If you're going ridicule American spelling, at least use "bastardised" not "bastardized."
- Carlos Acosta Mnh (2015)
I bet you tried to play soccer and you slipped on the ball and broke your arm while trying to shoot a knuckleball
- Jeff_albertson James Spank (2014)
Wow, you are so brilliant. No one ever knew this.
- Ever hear of the EPL..?
Whats one of the most popular ENGLISH sports shows that covers the league on Sky Sports staring Jeff Stelling and his buffoons?
Yes, its called football around the whole planet but the word soccer is british, not american.
- But the rest of your barfing shows that you dont really care about anything than stroking yourself and your own large ego (compensating for something?)
- Guy who hates James Spanks James Spank (2014)
Hey overly enthusiastic soccer fan. Soccer was the common nomenclature for soccer before soccer became football. It's the word you English people created for the sport ( I am assuming you are English because of your use of the word "rubbish"). It wasn't until all the commoners started playing the sport that it was nicknamed football.
- Also, I'd love to see you put on a "safety suit" and play five minutes of Football. There's a whole lot more that goes into a game plan for Football than Soccer. I get the feeling you're the type of that would get run over by a pee wee player.
- Finally, your comment about a team height restriction for basketball might be the most bad statement I have ever heard. Let's put a speed restriction on how fast you can run in Soccer and limit the size of the keeper. Don't want them too tall and athletic. What a crazy one you are.
- Hunter Grimm Guy who hates James Spanks (2014)
I've played football for 10 years. Decided to play some American football for my school. I went out there and was the best player and we went to state. So I wasn't on a bad team. I easily was the best player. So soccer is harder.
- Outer Daemon James Spank (2014)
OK. Calm down all of you. Just because you like a sport doesn't mean that every other sport in the world is for dirty foreigners, named wrong, easy and boring. I like Gaelic football. That doesn't mean that football/soccer is slow, underscoring and named wrong.
- Quntfuqqer James Spank (2014)
"British dominance over world sport"
- Hahahaha, right. Hey, everyone, I found another Brit who can't stomach how irrelevant his country has become and wishes he could live in a history book because it's the only place you can hear about British people having real power.
- Also, shut up about the 'soccer' term. 'Soccer' is an abbreviation of 'Association', and it was coined by your countrymen.
- CatMousy James Spank (2014)
"Soccer" is an evolution of the abbreviation "Assoc.". "Soccer" is what the English used to call Association Football. The word got exported to the US, Canada, Caribbean and Australia, and was frozen in time (as exported words tend to be).
- Then, North America got all into Gridiron Football (which eventually split into American Football and Canadian Football) and the Australians their own Australian Football. We all eventually just called those sports "Football", and stuck with calling Association Football "soccer" (and "rugby" as "rugby, as opposed to "rugby football", which apparently some Welsh just call "football" just as some Irish refer to Gaelic Football as just "football").
- No idea when or why the English started calling soccer "football", but they certainly invented the term, and exported it, and you can't expect the entire rest of the English-speaking world to fall in line with your own whims and preferences of language. And the simple truth is that the term "football" is an umbrella term for at least 5 distinct sports but which share a common origin and common concepts (like hurling, ice hockey and field hockey). You can't expect Britain to be so culturally dominant that its preferred type of of football is THE preferred type 'round the world.
- WestonF01 James Spank (2014)
First of all, its soccer and the reason its even called football at all (As all sports from the US to the UK to Oz are called "Football") has zero to do with using your foot. Typical snotty soccer fan response.
- They are all called Football because they are played on your feet as opposed to being mounted, as in Polo.
- As for the "safety suit", it's required by US law! (Ok, not specifically, but bear with me) The year before pads were instituted 100 collegiate players DIED playing American Football. As a result congress set out to ban the sport entirely, and were prepared to do so with support from both houses when the NCAA convened and changed the rules mandating pads. As a result of this congress didn't ban the sport.
- So your "safety suit" quip simply shows Americans you are just another blowhard who doesn't know what he's bludy talking about. :/
- When was the last year 100 people died playing pasture pool... I mean soccer? Oh right, that only happens in the stands, never mind.
- Skye Jeffrey WestonF01 (2014)
Thanks very much but the language came from us, anyone could tell because of plays from people like Shakespeare and America stole our language. They should have created their own language if they became independent from us.
- Pippin Skye Jeffrey (2015)
There's a fair chance you'd be speaking German if it wasn't for the U.S., so let's call it even.
- Steven Smith Pippin (2015)
And the fact your f35 Lightning had to come to us because you needed rolls Royce to see why it wouldn't fly properly, see we don't mind helping other countries, none of this is something normally brought up because we don't mind helping for nothing that's just our way of doing things, so don't throw that ww2 bull in our face because we have helped you more than enough times
Steven Smith Pippin (2015)
And the fact that America built one of the greatest planes in history...the mustang, which was only great with a British rolls Royce engine....
Multiplataformgamerz Pippin (2017)
no fair chance, Russia saved the world, not the US, would Hitler allied with Russia instead of invading it and you would have a Hitler pic in your backyard, full of hearts around it.
- Yasmedic Pippin (2016)
You know what, don't act like you did anyone a favor, the US was saving it's own skin. The US president and congress understood that if Hitler took over Europe, it would be only a matter of time before he would try to expand his empire to other parts of the world. Germany was very close at wining the war. It was just a matter of time. They were about to perfect the first missiles, fighter jets, and nuclear weapons. Among other weapons. If the US and the allies did not stop Hitler when they did, this world would be very different.
- After the war the US helped rebuilt Europe, but why was that? If you don't know the answer to that, the true motives behind it, you need to do some reading about the US and the world's financial history. The US is not a country that does things just because we are nice. At least not at the political level. Politicians in this country do things for other countries to buy their friendship and favors. So please, don't act like the US politicians did all that and keeps getting involved in other countries affairs out of the goodness of their heart.
- Say it ain't so Pippin (2016)
there's 100% chance you wouldn't exist if it wasn't for england so...
- History teacher Pippin (2015)
Depends on the world war, and opinion.
No, it's not even in any case, US after independence basically stayed the same as before. Once, an american teacher in my school asked "What's special about today?". Nobody knew, except one kid at the back who Googled it and said "American Independance Day!". That kid got a virtual chocolate button for being right.
- Steven Smith Pippin (2015)
Just so your clear on this, we do appreciate the help of other countries, any help is great there is no shame in taking help, but just to point out, the only war that you were involved in that we were not involved in, you did in fact lose...
- Bob Dylan Steven Smith (2016)
Right... because England helped us fight the Mexican American war and the spanish American war. Oh wait... they didn't. The US did not lose the Vietnam War, they decided that forcing democracy on a country that clearly doesn't want it is not worth losing American lives. The result had a minimal effect on world history. Unlike either world war where the fate of the world was uncertain... until the US rolls in to restore balance in the world.
- SoyToTheSauce Steven Smith (2016)
No we pulled out we didn't surrender surrender unlike e the British in the e american revolution
- Say it ain't so SoyToTheSauce (2016)
pulled out= giving up. just to point it out. if we're involved in a fight and i decide to pull out guess what? i'm throwing the towel cos i can't fight anymore. no difference and it is a known fact that the us was losing soldiers at a substantial rate. vietnam too, however with having home court advantage they had an edge the u.s never did. i studied history in a u.s school so i know. however this is neither here nor there because the article is about the world's most popular sport not about which country won which war. fact is every country in the world has lost at least one war.
- Carlos Acosta WestonF01 (2015)
Yeah because soccer players don't die from falling on the floor
Brandon Heetebrij Carlos Acosta (2017)
im dieing now, that was greatness lol
- Befair WestonF01 (2014)
No one meant to disrespect those American footballers who died playing the sport they love but don't go dismissing and making dismissive comments about football fans who died watching the sport they love
- History teacher WestonF01 (2015)
Football was banned in England (pads do nothing against hundreds of people), but people kept playing. Sure, there were deaths, and arrests, in fact, I think the punishment for playing was death, but people still played, until it was more organised, and the masses became more intelligent. Then Rugby and Gaelic and Irongrid and other types emerged, but the most popular was Association Football, because it was the best. Rugby is second (in most places), miles ahead of all other types (except American (originally Irongrid I believe) Football in America).
- Random WestonF01 (2015)
u guys all need to stfu... i'm australian and i think both sports are great and if u call it different names so what. also just to tell you it was called football first not soccer. i'm a huge soccer nut but i also like american football although i'm not from there.
- Shweetdeel James Spank (2014)
Here's a thought. In Europe, you don't have the NFL (yet). In America we have both the NFL and soccer. Guess which one we chose to watch? Football is more entertaining. Here is another thought, you're gonna love this, within the next decade the NFL will have a team in London and it wont stop there. How much would you like to bet your great grandchildren will be calling "football" soccer all the while watching their favorite team, the London Redcoats, lose to the New England Patriots? I just hope I'm alive to see it happen.
- London shweetdeel (2014)
we dont want that stupid game only in america is played because really is not that good trust me your going to die watching handball not fotball just in america not here......
- J london (2014)
I can tell how much you don't want it by the sellout crowds in Wembley every time the NFL comes to town.
Chuggon J (2014)
For only a handful of games a year attended predominantly by american expats...?
- Patrick Balentine shweetdeel (2014)
The nfl in london is terrible. That league is overexpanding and fprce feeding a great thing down our throats. They will ruin themselves. Its going to be no good for the team in london, no o e will sign as a free agent for miltiple reasons, mainly family and the fsct they dont want to travel back and forth from london to the west coast U.S. every other week. Xterrible idea roger goodell
- Rod shweetdeel (2014)
Y'all Americans don't like soccer as y'all might call it because y'all didn't invent that sport. Is just the truth and truth hearts. 😂😂😂😂😂😂
- 32142 Rod (2015)
Don't like soccer because it is boring to watch. The NBA sucks. But NCAA div 1 basketball in the playoffs is awesome. As for Football .... no you can not play it yourself but have respect for 6' 6" people wiehging 250 pounds that can run like the wind.
- Carlos Acosta shweetdeel (2015)
Yeah you choose to watch your football instead of a actual sport that requires agility strength stamina and intelligence
- Chuggon shweetdeel (2014)
We've also made a choice; when presented with both we emphatically chose our version over yours, whereas you accept the merits that our superior sport provides. If anything all this posts does is serve as a testament to how football (the real one) has succeeded in becoming popularised in the states whilst American Football has fallen flat on its face. 1
- Say it ain't so shweetdeel (2016)
have you stopped to think that what if the same reception you give football (the real football) they will give u.s football in london? they may have a team, may even play in the big leagues but will never accept it like they accept football. food for thought.
- Sam James Spank (2014)
It's called soccer in America and football everywhere else.
- Mario Altamirano Sam (2015)
Primarily "AMERICA" is the name of our continent and is composed for more than 30 Nations. In the USA & Canada it is called soccer but in most Nations in "AMERICA" it is call "FOOTBALL"
- Say it ain't so Mario Altamirano (2016)
so true hence "copa america" which involves a lot of countries from america playing football.
- CatMousy Sam (2014)
Unless "everywhere else" excludes Australia, Ireland, Canada and New Zealand....
- Dtnarmye7 James Spank (2014)
Go off in your own little world of Soccer, Spanky! You can't handle the tough sports!
And another reason you don't like basketball your to SHORT!
In your statement "training wheels for real sports", come play a Baseball game, a football game (we will let you were your shorts and shin guards, for FOOTBALL game
Go off in your own little world of Soccer, Spanky! You can't hand the tough sport!
And another reason you don't like basketball your to SHORT!
In your statement training wheels for real sports, come play a Baseball game, a football game (we will let you were your shorts and shin gaurds.
- You say your not a cricket man, and when you walk you can hear those cricket feet of your. That's got to be the most boring game out there!!!
- Field hockey!!! Shouldn't the puck or whatever it's called be slid across the grass and not carried? Come on Brits get your head out!
- Now you must be scared or afraid but you didn't even get to the best sport around, well partner it started back in the 1800, when William Pickets started the roping portion then it went onto bull ridding (don't even try to pronounce it it will kick you in the face! So young Amigo I'll ride off into the sunset, but you don't try it! For you might fall into the Ocean. Talk at ya latter. Enjoy
- Mike_ United Dtnarmye7 (2016)
American Football is not tough they are wearing pads for god sakes although I don't like rugby but rugby is tougher than american football I bet a soccer player can out fans a NFL player
- Carlos Acosta Dtnarmye7 (2015)
Nah I play soccer basketball and baseball I just don't play football because I don't like touching other guys asses
- Tyler Justice James Spank (2016)
Are you mentally handicapped or just ignorant? Soccer is in NO WAY easier a sport to play than American football, all forms of hockey (Ice,Field etc) I'm not even a fan of American football but everyone of these sports require you to play so physically and intensely that most of these guys can only play for a few years, lazy? The sport you worship isn't even hard to play I've watched fat people succeed and it's a sport filled with players who fall down when no one even touches them because they're LEGIT TAUGHT TO FALL DOWN AND GET FREE KICKS, so please come back later when you get take hits from guys that weigh 250+ pounds and can run faster than half of your pro soccer players
- Brendan James Spank (2015)
Basketball is more interesting than more than half those sports listed( including boring ass criket). Sports that are most popular in the united nations are just sad and boring, so just go fill your pink tea pot with your tears and calm down.
- USA James Spank (2015)
How is American football not a real sport it's the most physically demanding sport and the NFL has the best athletes of any sports in the world all soccer has is they can kinda run fast in football they have to be strong fast athletic and skilled at their position and be able to memorize plays get hit and perform under pressure
- Carlos Acosta USA (2015)
Bro there are dozens of sports that are more trying swimming cross-country track hurdles etc
- Mike_ United Carlos Acosta (2016)
Soccer have world class players and keepers does American football basketball hockey baseball players have world class player or keepers no so stfu I live in America and my sport in soccer I hate all the sport that america made
- Brandon Heetebrij Mike_ United (2017)
We don't have world class players and keepers cause we don't care about soccer,
- Bob Dylan Mike_ United (2016)
Did you just say that the US doesn't have world class athletes? Is that why we always have the most medals in the Olympics and the US basketball team wins every tournament they attend? That's what I thought. American athletes are stronger, faster, and more agile than any other countries athletes and they are proving that in Rio right now.
- Eric Ross James Spank (2015)
James, when you are raised on complex, thinking sports like American Football (which by the way used to be kicked a lot more than today where the ball is passed and run more now than before) soccer, which is quite a simple sport from a spectator's perspective, then you shun such sports. Baseball, American Football and Basketball are far, far more interesting than Football (Soccer) ever could dream of being. I have tried to be a fan of soccer, but it is, frankly, one of the most boring sports I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and that is saying something since I absolutely love sports. You cannot say something so incorrect as "White America who think that 'World Series' and 'Superbowls' actually mean something, shows that you really know nothing of the sports and the complexity of those sports. It is not so much a cultural thing as these sports have spread to Central America and Asia with equal fevor. If you did understand the sports, you would leave soccer by the way side and watch and play something so much more interesting. I still try to watch World Cup Soccer, but it is lost on me and most Americans. And not because it is not "our sport". Not at all. It is what you were raised on and it appeals to a higher level of thinking with all the strategy and play calling and managerial moves that make it so much more interesting. Many Hispanics were raised on 'football' (soccer) but when they come to America or Canada, they find out that there are much more interesting sports out there than soccer. Football (soccer) is the world's favorite sport because in most countries that are impoverished, that is the one sport that the poor can play. All you need is a ball to kick and room to play it. You need more equiptment for other sports and that can cost more and that simply does not work for poorer countries. Back and forth, back and forth 'football' with low scoring and not so interesting play on the field is mind-numbing and it is beyond me how you can stand there are castigate the rest of the sporting world.
- Zac James Spank (2018)
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh (soccer is an other WORDDD for football)
- Penttinen mikkola James Spank (2018)
too bad England/Britain is so bad in every single sport except cricket, which is only popular in former colonies (India,Australia,NZ) and the uk... so boring.
- Artad James Spank (2018)
The ball called football because it't one foot long...
- Ed James Spank (2018)
We all should call it kick ball
- Ryan Cardiff James Spank (2017)
I agree it's football and not soccer, however it's not called football because you kick the ball with your feet. It was named football because it was played on foot and not on horseback.
- Fiza Rafeeq James Spank (2017)
First of all you can call it soccer or football. And second of all since you have stated your opinion you can't tell people to not state their opinion. You're probably older than me since I'm in grade 7 but your comment is just stupid.
- Tim Stout James Spank (2017)
Soccer is for people not strong enough or skilled enough to play hockey. In Canada we think non contact sports are for girls. I mean think about in soccer you brake a toe and you don't play. Hockey players play with busted knees like Stevie why did the last time he one the cup his last time in Detroit. The reason why we don't play it that much or watch it at all is because every time some dude gets checked he falls to the ground and crys in pain for nothing . I wonder how the best soccer player in the world would take a good nhl body check, I'd bet it would brake him in 2. Sorry soccer is not tough there for it will never be a big deal in Canada or the USA.
- Gavin Meek James Spank (2017)
American Football originated from Rugby.
The Americans in took on the sport, but after years, they had changed the rules to make it their own sport.
- It is also a boring sport.
A few seconds of game play and then there are 20 minutes of breaks and advertising. And then it repeats again.
- Brave Voice James Spank (2017)
Spoken with typical clueless European arrogance. Football has been since the early middle ages. In it's true form hands and feet are both used. The American Football and Canadian Football play close to the true game.
What you lazily call "Football" is actually Cambridge Rules Football which is a variant of the game from the 1800's., which banned the use of hands except for the goalie. As leagues formed it became Association Football. We American shortened Association Football to Soccer to differentiate it from true football. That correct title Association Football gets shortened to 'football" if that is the popular version played locally. You might look up the legal name of the sport organization it's the INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION of ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL.
Thanks for your amusing post. The Euro-centric view is always a delightful mix of extreme vapidity and condescending arrogance.
- Brandon Heetebrij James Spank (2017)
With how often "football" (soccer) players get hurt they probably need a safety suit to.
- Brandon Heetebrij James Spank (2017)
with how often "football" (soccer) players get hurt you'd think they would need a safety suit.
- Mike Kathary James Spank (2017)
and the only decent tennis player you've had in the past 80 years is actually scottish
- Heather Marie Pederson James Spank (2017)
Actually it is called football because it was meant to mean it is played on foot and not on horseback.
- Reed James Spank (2017)
You're adorable in the Olympics, Wittle Bwitain.
- Todd jones James Spank (2017)
LOL British dominance of world sport... you guys might be good at coming up with sports, but you guys are no good when it comes to winning any of them haha.
- Aknit James Spank (2017)
You need to relax
- Aidan Chapman James Spank (2017)
First you generilize america. Second you think a sport where they celebrate ties and flop the entire time is fun to watch? And the world seris is watched in Aisa, South/Latin America and the US. And third Americans love the sport of football. Not soccer. We have our own country and our own culture since we beat some british ass in the 1700s. Fourth a thirty ft limit is insane. the average size of a man is 6 ftand you expect them to get twelve people on the team. AND BRITISH DOMINANCE ON WORLD SPORT. PPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEE. The US has won over 1600 medals in the summer olympics.
- Vadim Fomin James Spank (2016)
its not only football dude people can get mixed up with american football so people call it soccer.
- Jesus James Spank (2016)
it says football aswell
- Andrew08 James Spank (2016)
buddy the facts dont lie and soccer is played on every single continent oh and have you heard of the WORLD CUP literally the best countries in the world (Including USA) to see whose the best . The Super Bowl only includes TWO teams that represent TWO states. Therefore soccer is most popular sport.
- Jace James Spank (2016)
Dude field hockey is not rubuish and also most the numbers are made up from Australia, India then South America and middle/east of Europe
- TheLoudBostonian James Spank (2016)
Futbol isn't popular in America cause we demand entertainment. Not an hour of people passing a ball maybe taking a few shots and a lot of the time ending up with tie. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I played soccer my entire life so I'm not ignorant to the game. Finesse sports are fine as long as there is ample action which is why hockey and lacrosse are my favorite sports to both play and watch. Americans enjoy action and high stakes and if the poor countries of the world could afford to play the sports American kids are raised on, they would.
- SHH James Spank (2016)
The thing that made me laugh is when you said "handball with a safety suit". It pretty well killed me. The only thing "football" accomplishes is injuries. The only thing "soccer" can accomplish is it can tell you who's the biggest weaklings out of the pro sports world. Ever see any of the dives that go on in every soccer game ever? Probably not cause you're biased. I presonally do not like football or soccer but any sport is a good sport no matter what anyone says. Better being a pro athlete then a fat bum sitting at home making less then 25k a year.
- Determinant18 James Spank (2016)
British dominance over world sport? Yeah, right. It's like you say US world dominance over baseball and american football. In football, your national selection sucks, although I love Premier league. In tennis, you sucked for the last century, until Murray came up. Rugby and cricket are your thing only (including Commonwealth). You suck pretty much in everything else.
- Zach James Spank (2016)
For a start, it was called soccer well before it was ever called football. It was invented as soccer because it was played by the socials in England. So don't act like you are more sophisticated than the rest because you use the word football.
- Calm down James Spank (2016)
woah man calm down its just a name.
- Bill James Spank (2016)
This might just be the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life you say that American football isn't a big man sport but you enjoy watching the most boring thing to watch on TV.
- Taaj Taj James Spank (2016)
It's called soccer in America and futbol in other places. So if you looking on America websites, the sport will be called soccer instead. I agree! Soccer, Track and Field, basketball, etc are more of a sport because of the endurance, but in America physical sports rule. Being that I played football, is my favorite sport because of how physical the sport is.
- Both Soccer and Football use "safety suits" football has a little more because it is highly physical and the same goes for hockey. You don't need too much protect to kick a ball around lol. It's like putting on a helmet to run Cross Country lol. Baseball I agree with you completely. Baseball is not physical and they barely run lol.
- I played Football and ran Track. I'm currently running Cross Country, so yea, I believe Soccer players are more in shape than Football and Baseball players. Actually, I believe most sports that are played in the Olympics require more fitness than Football and Baseball. But Football is a physical sport so being super fit doesn't matter as much. Just got be huge, physical, and have athletic ability.
- Basketball is not pointless lol. No player is bigger than the net. You still have to make it in the net too. Soccer might be easier than basketball if that's the case, because the Soccer net is like ten times the size of the goalkeeper.
- Soccer is cool and fun but I like football better because it's also fun and a lot more physical. I have also played Soccer before. If you don't like physical sports Football and sports like it isn't for you lol.
- Viktor Petrolium James Spank (2016)
I totally agree with you!
- Jad Gheriani James Spank (2016)
Oh and also, I am a massive football fan, by football I mean soccer, which is what I as an American call it. BVB for life.
- James James Spank (2016)
Brits called it soccer when they came to america. Not our fault that's what we call it. It's history, look it up....
- Charlie F James Spank (2016)
Are you seriously comparing American football and soccer James spank because I remember you saying something about training wheels for American football. If you even played football you would get dominated on the field. Soccer is a sport were you run kick the ball and maybe you score football when you run you either score or get pounded. Soccer isn't a contact sport it's a game filled with overplayed floppers.
- Aknit James Spank (2016)
You need to relax
- Charles Huston James Spank (2016)
Actually the Brits, called it Soccer first ... just saying. :)
- Al James Spank (2016)
To start, Soccer is a term created by the British (and widely used for the MAJORITY of it's existence) to describe "Association Football" as opposed to "Rugby Football", "Gaelic Football", "American Football" and a number of other varieties that all stem from the same initial type of activity.
- Also, to many of us (most people in the US. . . including non-white people. . . you realize black people watch basketball the most?), SOCCER (a British term) is excruciatingly boring. Sorry, but get over it. Popularity is not equivalent to "better" or
- Glenn Gilmore James Spank (2016)
You also use your head, knees, hips.....
- Kyrie Irving James Spank (2016)
Even if basketball did have a height restriction, it wouldn't be 30 because a basketball team in the NBA needs at least 12 players and that means each player can only be about 2 and half feet tall ? 😂😂😂
- Jake Martinez James Spank (2016)
Both names are fine. Originally it was called Soccer. The name changed to Football due to use by the lower classes.
- The reason why it's called Soccer in America is because UK English and American English split hundreds of years before the name of the sport changed in the UK. It never changed in America.
- The more you know (tm)
- Markito Eric Soler James Spank (2016)
Dude, nobody cares about junky soccer/football it's a pathetic sport that not many people care for it. Here in America you barely see soccer fans. I personally think soccer is a pointless woethless sport.
- Thomas Londono Markito Eric Soler (2016)
what do you mean not many people care for it, did you not just see the stats
- Yasmedic James Spank (2016)
I agree with you except for one thing. That is to referred to the "football" played in the US as "American" Football. First of all, "America" is the name of a continent and not a country. That people in this country took the name and stole it for themselves is selfish and self centered, but what else is new about people from the US? I do not refer to people from the US as "Americans," but rather as United Statians (a literal translation of the term used in the rest of America (the continent) to refer to people from the US.
- Danny Carinder James Spank (2016)
Association football is the full name, in America it's called soccer because when the sport 1st became popular it was normal to shorten a name by using afew letters from the word then putting "er" after it. So an early slang name for association football was socer (using soc from association and putting er) and that later turned into soccer.
- Scott James Spank (2016)
You sure do think you know a lot.
- James Laurenson James Spank (2016)
I agree with you a lot
- John James Spank (2016)
No one cares what all those countries play. They only play soccer because of the small amount of things need to play and because most countries are poor and the only country that counts is America and football not football that wastes 3 hours of your life watching two teams only score one goal. Football is the best because it's most popular in the best country.
- Thomas Londono John (2016)
but thats an opinion, and a lot of people are proud of soccer being easier than football
- Evan Kernaghan James Spank (2016)
As you can see from the list the World Series actually does matter to 500 million people. By my count that's a lot more than the population of the US. I agree about football/soccer but overall who really cares about what you are saying. I really hope you had fun wasting your life writing a comment longer than the apple terms and conditions
- Brandon Heetebrij Evan Kernaghan (2017)
has anybody else noticed we have like no representatives for almost all the sports that are from 2-9 places?
- Testicals James Spank (2016)
America is best and you has no grammer (joke) anyways baseball world series And super bowl is awesome you have to agree if not good day sir.
- Travis Buck James Spank (2016)
Guys chill with the Nationalism. All sport is fun to watch.
- Peter Antoniades James Spank (2016)
No. Handball is a different sport. American football already has a proper name - its called Gridiron. Look it up. There's American Gridiron and Canadian Gridiron. The NFL should be the NGL, just like Australia's rugby league is called NRL rather than NFL. I don't understand why no American knows the real name of their most beloved game.
- Brandon Heetebrij Peter Antoniades (2017)
most Europeans don't call it association football...
- Thushan James Spank (2016)
Bruh even AFL(Australian football league) is more of a football than NFL and they only kick for long passes and scoring a goal. I don't think NFL is that bad. It's just the name that's awful. I don't know much about NFL but my neighbor does and we live in Australia. He plays NFL over soccer (yes Americans aren't alone we call it soccer as well so does NZ and canada), rugby (which is very similar but the rules is different(I don't know much about rugby either I only know the basics) or AFL and even he watches NFL. He says it's harder than rugby or AFL (or atleast it's tougher). I guess that's why they wear safety stuff. The only sport I actually watch is Cricket and I don't really americans for not knowing the rules for cricket cuz there's people that don't know about baseball at all. I only know the basics.
- Alyssa the proud American! James Spank (2016)
Football the real one like the one in America is not some stupid thing. They get hurt a lot and I mean a lot. Soccer is so lame go kick some where else would you. Soccer are for babies who are afraid to get kicked so go cry yourself a little bridge to I don't know any where away from america. Stop whining and BTW they have SUITS NOT SAFETY SUITS for a reason they get body slammed and get hurt and broken. One time some ones bone went out of there skin it was so broken. When has that happened in soccer oh wait it hasn't. SOCCER has 0% OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY!!!!!
- Mike_ United Alyssa the proud American! (2016)
Fake football (NFL) is stupid you guys wear pads and rugby is your father and the NFL doesn't have the uefa champions league which is better the super bowl I mean the stupid bowl NFL players are scared to get actually tackle you guys wear pads and rugby all they need is a mouth guard and there set and plus a lot of injuries happens in soccer so shut up
- Raghu James Spank (2016)
Actually there is a game called handball
- Chuck ford James Spank (2016)
The fact that you are going on this rant shows your inferiority complex.
- Juan Villegas James Spank (2016)
Hello James! My favorite sport is baseball and that's because I was born and live in Venezuela. Here is the most popular sport. Nevertheless, football (as it really is) is in my second place. I once read that American Football is called like that because the ball is actually a foot long... I'm not sure if that's true, but just to mention.
- Sam James Spank (2015)
Football is a category of sports, not a specific sport. Educate yourself because I believe you are referring to association football, not gridiron football.
- Ethan James Spank (2015)
American football is called football because the ball is about a foot long. don't be an ignorant soccer fan. *Foot-Ball*
- Mario Altamirano Ethan (2015)
It is not a "Ball" Mister! It is an "Ellipse/Oblong artifact". A ball has 360 degrees in any direction.
Lila James Spank (2015)
... It's just a list not a open discussion on why one sport isn't better than another... All of these sports and many more not on the list require dedication and hard work on the part of the team or player, don't get it twisted with your supremacist thoughts.
- CigaM James Spank (2015)
Well, Its soccer in America. Get over it. Hope you did. Been two years.
- Mario Altamirano cigaM (2015)
Primarily "AMERICA" is the name of our continent and is composed for more than 30 Nations. In the USA & Canada it is called soccer but in most Nations in "AMERICA" it is call "FOOTBALL"
- Football is american James Spank (2015)
America kicked everybody during WW2 and other wars. So just be quiet because America can choose to do what it wants to do. AMERICAN FOOTBALL FOR THE WIN!
- Mike_ United football is american (2016)
I live in the USA and American football is sad
- Football ⚽️⚽️ James Spank (2015)
I agree I'm American and I think it's stupid that we don't call soccer football. I love the sport and "American football" is stupid and the reason it's so popular is because of the amount of people who watch it.
- Mike_ United Football ⚽️⚽️ (2016)
American football is sad they don't have passing they don't have chemistry like soccer does I am a american to but I love soccer
- Grant James Spank (2015)
Football actually refers to playing a game on foot as opposed to polo which is on horseback, also England is the country that popularized the word soccer to differentiate it from Rugby
- Chillax James Spank (2015)
actually bro the official name is association football. soccer is an abbreviation of association. added to that, football is a term thats been around for a long time. most popular medieval sports were played by the elite on horseback.....peasant sports were played on............
- Proud American James Spank (2015)
The United States dominates the British in the Olympics. "SOCCER" is catching on here and we will soon surpass your country. And what kind of sport would have a height restriction. That would be pointless. The United States has and will continue to create the best athletes in the world and you need to quit complaining about it.
- Mario Altamirano Proud American (2015)
I agree with you!
- Gianflavio James Spank (2014)
its football AND soccer. tired of people talking rubbish about a damn word. I'm from South America and its called futbol there, but i didn't come to the states and started bashing the word soccer. It means the same, it's soccer too. Don't think so? look it up in a dictionary or just google it.
- Aussboss James Spank (2014)
You are ignorant. You didn't invent soccer so why complain about it when other countries call it soccer. The English actually came up with the word soccer to separate it from other sports in those days that were called football. In Australia we call it soccer/football. To each his own but don't come with your bias. Every sport has their own unique add on to the world of entertainment .
- Say it ain't so (2016)
not saying you're wrong but what does athletics have anything to do with popularity or how many people in the world love one sport over another. i could also tell you that a boxer is more athletic than a football player, u.s football player and baseball player but it doesn't mean it's the most popular sport which is what this article is about.
Lets me guess those 300 expert's were american?...
Mike_ United (2016)
But in the whole worldthe real football is the best
While in reality Pole Vaulting is the sport which requires most skills.
how did 30 billion watch if there is only 7 billion people in the world?
- Anon anonymous (2013)
3.5 Billion is 3 Billion and 500 Million, not 35 Billion... 3,500,000,000
- Anon anon (2013)
30 billion is the accumalitive amount from all the games in the world cup, 3.5 billion is the fanbase across the world.
- Sully Flynn anon (2016)
People can be a fan of more than one sport.
- Dd anonymous (2013)
same way mcdonalds has sold 99 billion burgers..
- Sazzabe anonymous (2013)
It says its accumulated and it counted each game you watched, not just watching the world cup in general
- Kendinho Kenny Dillion anonymous (2013)
he said 3.5 Billion not 30 Billion.
- Anon anonymous (2014)
This is explained literally in the same sentence...
bawantha anonymous (2014)
man there may be fans who likes all ten of these sports its just estimated
ANONYMOUS anonymous (2014)
How can there 7 billion people in world if world only 7 million!
- BestInTheWorld (2013)
I don't think people watched fifa world cup more than cricket world cup 2011. 2011 cricket world cup was held in Indian and considering Indian 1.25 billion population and aggregate over 50 matches in entire world cup and on the top Indian wining the final makes the aggregate over 50 billion now which is more than Soccer by far. I did not add the viewers of Aus. Eng. SouthAfrica. New Zealand. West Indies. Bangaldesh. Sri Lanka. Pakistan.
- Bear BestInTheWorld (2014)
it doesn't matter what you 'think' what matters is the actual figures that show. and ok loool your telling me that the every single woman, man, and child was watching the sport. the entire country looooool. and ok so that's those countries you mentioned how about the entire world that watches the world cup. do you not realise how many countries follow football. i enjoy a bit of cricket, but football whether its better or not is still a more popular sport. that's just the way things are. football is popular everywhere. lemme just reiterate that before you forget what i wrote by the end of my sentence loool.
- Adrian BestInTheWorld (2014)
Well said. I did my own research based on this and discovered that, in terms of who loves the sport, cricket is clearly ahead of soccer.
- Jeff_albertson (2014)
The list has basketball as being an american sport only which is silly.
Basketball is played on all continents. There are more basketball leagues in the world than any sport except soccer and the sport is huge in europe, 2nd to soccer. I think it deserves to be truly called an international sport rather an american one like is done here. And basketball is played by both men and women (first WC was 1950 and the womens was 1953) from high school on.
- Adrian jeff_albertson (2014)
Basketball was invented in USA and is far more popular in USA than any other country.
- Taylor Adrian (2014)
But it was invented by a Canadian.
- Basketball Bloke Taylor (2014)
A canadian-american, living in america, working for an american school, with american coaches, american players, etc. And the game he invented looked nothing like the modern game of basketball. The game he invented was played with a football (soccer ball) that didn't bounce, there was no dribbling, no moving with the ball, no backboard, no net, no three point line, no free throws, no key, no paint, the ball had to be taken down from the basket via a ladder after every score, so games would end in the single digits, the game was played 7v7 and allowed full body tackles. The game that we know today as basketball was created in American schools and in American leagues.
- Energy23 Adrian (2014)
So what? It's still popular outside of USA.
- Ricky73 (2013)
Basketball is also very popular in Europe and China, I guess its estimated fans are 2 billion.
- Amindila Ricky73 (2016)
Chinese are what 4 feet tall... C'mon
- Adrian (2014)
3.5 billion + 2.5 billion + 2 billion+1 billion + 0.9 billion + 0.85 billion + 0.5 billion + 0.45 billion + 0.4 billion + 0.4 billion = 12.5 billion! Sorry, but I thought that the world's population was just 7 billion! Who are the other 5.5 billion? Martians? Or are you saying that some of these people are on two - or more - lists? Not very accurate figures, either way. It should be a list of who prefers each sport. If you did that list, you'd have about 1.1 billion for soccer, and 1.7 billion for cricket, putting cricket at number 1.
- Binho Adrian (2014)
Adrian - you do know that you are allowed to be a fan of MULTIPLE sports right? Soccer, Football, Golf, Basketball for me... doesn't mean I am 4 separate people!
- Jay Adrian (2016)
its not all about how fan watch cricket but if you want drama,anticlimax,tension etc than other sport have than cricket thats why i love cricket most
- Chris Daigle (2013)
No mention of cycling? It stops whole nations for the grand tours.
- Saivamsikrishna (2013)
Dude forgot few continents that also play cricket - Africa, North and south America, and change the name from UK to England
- Rob Admin Saivamsikrishna (2013)
The list includes regions where the sport is popular. Yes, cricket is played in other places around the world, but it is most popular in the countries listed: Asia, Australia and UK. I suppose you could add Africa (South Africa and Zimbabwe), and New Zealand and West Indies are the other Test playing nations that are not accounted for.
- Adrian Rob (2014)
Cricket is more popular than soccer in Africa, where it is the 2nd most popular sport in the continent (soccer is 3rd). I would think that Africa should count. And cricket is popular in the whole of the UK, not just England but also Scotland, Wales and Ireland love cricket.
- Corkonian Adrian (2014)
I'm Irish and I can assure you that we do not love cricket. Our cricket team don't even have a stadium, they just play on a field because there's so few fans they don't need one. It would struggle to even make the top 20 most played or supported sports. The only time anyone ever even watched cricket here was when it came on to breaking news that we were about to beat England in the world cup so we turned that on for the last few minutes (you can't even beat us at sports we don't play- despitethe fact you nicked half our players). Plus 'the whole of the UK' does not include us thank you very much
- Amjad Adrian (2014)
adrian are you mad? I live in england UK. Football is the number1 sport in this country by miles. 2nd is probably rugby, 3rd tennis, Cricket is not even in the top5. In Africa football is not a sport but a religion. I think you need to travel mate. cricket is only followed in africa by the whites. (2%)
- Guy Saivamsikrishna (2013)
Why change it to England?
- Scotland and Ireland both have cricket teams, and unless you've forgotten its "The Welsh and English Cricket Board"
- Sandy (2014)
rugby a lot of countries play that
- Adrian sandy (2014)
I would think that Rugby was ahead of American football...
- Football (ENGLISH) (2014)
I'm Canadian but I love English Football (notice I didn't say soccer). Why do they call a sport only used with hands, after a foot? And is an American Football even a ball? I was taught in kindergarten that a ball was round. Foot-Ball does not make sense. You can be fat and still be playing American Football. Don't consider Football a sport. Getting paid to have McDonalds for breakfast shouldn't be a reality. And Baseball. You stand around picking your nose waiting for your turn. Your turn lasts 60 seconds, then, back to picking. In Baseball you still have obese people playing! English Football, you actually have to be fit and always on the move. Running up and down a field for 90 minutes is way harder then 3 minutes of swinging a bat around.
- Neo (2014)
I love american culture their music and their cars but i think they suck in their choice of sports . baseball is boring , "football" is stupid and basketball is "only for giants". comparing baseball with cricket cricket is very technical complex. rugby players are far too athletic "they can run" then football players, football players are obese. play stops after every 5 seconds. and why its called world series its more national series at best. Americans living in their own cocoon like the english used to may be its a white supremacist thing they want their own sports let then play but no can digest that american football or basketball is better than "soccer" football.
- J (2013)
u r wrong people r mad about basketball in Lithuania and the Phillipines.
- Markito Eric Soler (2016)
Soccer sucks.... I fall asleep watching that junk.. Give me NFL over any sport and I'm into it. Soccer, hockey, cricket, is just so damn boring.
- Chan (2014)
Europ will never introduce NFL. We have most popular sports soccer &rugby etc. that every country plays at the end there's a true champion not just Nfl &MLB playing with in and calling ourselves a world champion who exactly did we play outside plus NFL is derived version of Rugby and AFL where these guy's actually use foot to play what about NFL these guy's only kick 2or 3 times only in the game and the is handball game
- Katherine Hansvonrotesschildzi (2014)
I think soccer is even higher than 3.5 billion and I think it is more like 6 billion.
- Paul Cobbe Katherine Hansvonrotesschildzi (2019)
You are wrong. About 45 % of the world's population like the sport
- Antonio Canizales Aguirre (2013)
In USA/Canada attending 125 million a year in professional baseball, in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan attending 30 million a year in professional baseball, only at higher level (more than any other sport in Asia). 1
- Kendinho Kenny Dillion Antonio Canizales Aguirre (2013)
wow American football in Africa? and No soccer in Australia?? you need to reverse your words and go recheck your sources as well.
- Maame Araba Kendinho Kenny Dillion (2014)
that's what I thought when I saw American football in Africa. I am African and I hazard a guess that people don't even know it exists. Football dominates in Africa
- Terry (2020)
James you're spreading fake news.
1) The "foot" in football indicates played by foot (as opposed to on horseback).
2) The Italians on the other hand call it calcio derived from the word kick (kickball - perhaps there's a new name...)
3) "Soccer" is a British-term derived from "association" in Association football.
Moral of the story? Who cares what it's called!!!
- Anonumous (2020)
i say american soccer should be football and there needs to be more soccer shows like 100 or more because with 3.5 billion fans there should be more to watch of it boooo the tv company
- Anonumous (2020)
well i think soccer should be named football in america not that crapy name and soccer is hardly on tv it should be on more with 3.5billion intrested it should have like 100 or more shows likw come on
- Marica546 (2020)
Tennis only.the second sport of the world
- X_Kyrie_Irving_X (2020)
lol really thought basketball would be at least top 3 or 5, looks so popular but actually not many people are fans.
- Mick van Weert (2020)
F1 has 500 million alone? And then we haven't mentioned all Motorsports fans in General.
- Raihan (2020)
Love just cricket 🏏🏏🏏♥️♥️
- KR6 Productions (2019)
Where does wrestling (pro wrestling, WWE) go on the list?
- John Pope (2019)
Adrian. I am also a cricket fan but am afraid you are talking bollocks. I live in Scotland where football is clearly no 1. Same in Wales and Ireland and every country in Europe, South America and Africa. Also fastest growing sport in Australia, China and most countries in the far east. Also biggest participation spirt in USA. I don't like to run other sports down but let's be honest and all enjoy whatever your preference is!
- Squashed Banana (2019)
Here we go again, time to go get a bag of Lay's chips and mah oreo milkshake.
- Zac (2018)
American football #1 in America SOME people play it in other countries.Also people like football because there's a lot to it like postions,plays,skill to get that football to the end zone also defense to stop the ball from going through now some say it's a piece a doodoo but also American football is 1 of the most exciting sport ever and people who play in the NFL or even of season they train very hard and got to know plays,positions,and moves sounds like to me y'all are hateing on a good competitive sport and 1 of the hardest to get into an nfl team. And yes SOCCER ain't that much of a bad sport (not really I lied) just kidding
- Edward (2018)
Why did they never include Philippines in volleyball and basketball in the list. Should be basketball is now more famous than golf I should say. Because basketball is the number one sport in the Philippines.
- Memeco50 (2018)
are there more than 30 billion people on earth?
- Rob Admin memeco50 (2018)
No there is not, which is explained in the article. I'm surprised how many people don't grasp the concept of 'accumulated' audience.
Dushyanth Kandiah memeco50 (2018)
There can be people who like multiple sports
- Karan Singh Shekhawat (2018)
are u serious you forgot the rugby,,,,
- Aaron David (2018)
Wow this is credible. There are 7 billion people yet 30 billion watched the world cup .Basketball listed as 9th. You deserve your laptop taken away
- Divinest (2018)
Ok. First of all South Africa plays Cricket and i dont know why Africa is not among Cricket and Asia watched basketball and its only America thats watches American Football.
I agree with the rank but not the regional Popularity
- Marine (2018)
I don't get why you idiot people from different countries think y'all are all cool for naming all these things football - American football is for real men who don't sit and cry like sissy's cause their countries suck I mean really guys soccer is up there bc it was like the first thing played probably when a couple of idiots started to kick a rock around and claimed it was a sport and then it started to evolve btw in stats if America went against North Korea we would win in a landslide so stop acting like sissies bc you think that there all powerful when Kim jung in is just a fat little man with hint word a COUPLE of warheads America has way more
- Gary Marine (2018)
Listen everybody... the reason americans speak english and is the buissness language also worlds most widely spoken language is because of british domenance. The same reason our sports rule and we have been the most influential country and empire of all time. So dont be stupid face facts and move on, the only reason you guys even are allowed an opinion is because of human rights acts and sympathy we gave you. Dont you forget who had controll of most of the world including the middle east (world oil supply) africa (gold/diamonds) so called america (infrastructure/goverment/area settlement names/language and so on) Also a large proportion of rest of the worlds most established area's. Honestly give up and accept you are only a creation of our influence!!!
- George Gary (2019)
Mandarin Chinese is the world's most spoken Language
- Bob (2018)
Soccer is a lot better then football. If you like football (American) than you suck
- Bob (2018)
Soccer is way better.
- Cricket0205 (2018)
Being a heartful cricket and football fan, I am delighted to see my top two favourite sports at the top of the list. Just wanted to say that South Africa also dominate in the cricket, with the likes of AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn and the retired Jacques Kallis, this means that South Africa are just as passionate about cricket as the other continents are too.
- PF Minecraft (2017)
Nice list, i can cheat in the classroom! :)
- Frank (2017)
Cricket number 2 sport in the world give me a break and basketball number 9. Plus regional popularity of basketball only America. Basketball is popular in nearly every nation in the world especially in Europe growing in popularity in Africa and most of Asia. Plus we cannot just use number of fans Cricket just gets high because of the 1 billion people in India. Other than the UK India Pakistan Bangledesh Sri Lanka Australia New Zealand South Africa and maybe a few other former Briish colonies and some of the countries of the West Indies no one cares about Cricket. If Cricket ranks so high surprised Table Tennis with the msssive Chinese following is not high by the standard Basketball if we go by nations is clearly number 2 or maybe Volleyball. Use the standard of the number of nations in the International organizations it would clearly be Football(soccer) no 1 or Basketball and Volleyball 2 and 3 in either order. Plus do not know how the fan standard wax calculated but find it hard to believe basketball fans are only 400 million that is definitely to low clearly based on the number of nations who play basketball and fan. support the number clearly has to be between 1 to 2 billion
- Frank (2017)
I get tired of the bashing in other countries American Football gets and the bashing the sport most people in the world call football that we in the USA calll soccer gets. In my opinion both are great sports although I like soccer better because soccer players or if you prefer footballer are the greatest team sport athletes in the world and the sport has every form of athleticism there is. You need speed endurances and skill to be a top footballer or if you prefer soccer player and there is a lot if physicality and actual toughness needed to play the game. You do have players ruining the game with the diving and acting but that also has gone into every sport to an extent. I will say the one legitimate gripe people in other nations have about the USA is we calll a sport football that you rarely use your foot. It makes far more sense to call what we call soccer football like most of the world. American Football is a decent sport but should have a different name than football, Some around the world call it gridiron or maybe we should call it American Rules Rugby. Personally though I like watching Rugby better because there is constant movement in Rugby and to much stop and start in American Football. Also in Rugby or what we in the US soccer you just do not run 20 yards or meters and then come out of the game. In American Foltball a guy runs 20 yards then he has to come out of the game that is the downside to American Footbsll compared to the World sport of football or as we say soccer or rugby
- Tim Stout (2017)
P.s I hate football but you are all wrong Dallas cowboys are worth more then any team in the world go check your facts online before you post them guys
- Nurman Arif (2017)
are u sure golf? haha LOL
why there isn't badminton?
it very most popular in Asia (Indonesia, china, india, korea, japan, thailand n malaysia), which has the most people in the world.
- Donald trump (2017)
its soccer not football
- Spank me daddy (2017)
Ronaldo is now the most paid sportsman
- Cookie (2017)
well that was 3 years ago
- Yjgiktklyftrfcvjk (2017)
haha ur all wrong
- Heggybhoy (2017)
Its amazin how a topic about sports ends up about everything else haha.
- Danius (2017)
basketball has 2,5 billion fan base
- Vaibhav Venkatesan (2017)
American Football should be the second most popular sport. First, Soccer, then american football, and after that tennis
- Random nigga san (2017)
this is just disrespectful
- Arabella Stafford (2017)
Umm where is dance that is a huge part of my life and thousands of other people's. That list could be based off of what the person likes and he just labeled it top 10 sports.
- The Nelsy Show (2017)
American football shouldn't be in the top 10. It says Australia supports NFL, but that is so untrue it's ridiculous. Americans are so full of themselves and think that they are the center of the universe. I'M TRIGGERED
- Subhransu sekhar (2017)
Crickets t20 format is most entertaining. Ipl is beter then football leagues.
- Subhransu sekhar (2017)
Cricket is the best game. it is like a religion in indian subcontinent.not only in europe,asia and australia ,it also played in african contry like south africa,zimbaway,keniya etc. Cricket also most popular in jamaica,trinidad or westindies contries.
- Jacob Parkanski (2017)
DJ khaled would be tarified of you he would stop his job and start saying you dumb you played yourself not you smart don't ever play yourself
- Australian rocky (2017)
Big bash league and IPL rocks, nothing is as good as cricket, we have our own world
- Michael Emedi (2017)
The SportsMediaWatch website has compiled a list of the 50 most watched sporting events in 2013 and 46 (92%) of the events are NFL games including a whopping 35 regular season games.
- Elijah (2017)
SOCCER players flop all over the place. Just because soccer is watched more often because it's an international sport doesn't make it any more manly or for "adults". Most countries have basketball, and baseball, but not everyone has similarly regulated American football. Which is why it's not an international sport. Open a book y'all.
- Etienne Sigouin (2017)
where's the real hockey?
- Umer Farooq (2017)
Good to see cricket up the ranking. After 20-30 years it might become the most watched sport in the world or at least equaling soccer. In the recent past some new Cricket Leagues have emerged like IPL, BigBash,Natwest, and PSL which has uplifted the game and created many more new fans and followers.
I wonder why the two most popular sports Soccer and Cricket are not very popular in America :)
- Ryan Hamad (2017)
I'm surprised Rugby isn't on here
- Aidan Chapman (2017)
Oh and btw can someone explain why soccer is so great just please its the worst sport out there.
- Alex Rosales (2017)
soccer is the best sport in ze world
- Jen Swambach (2017)
Wow great info, I no MMA is growing fast and might be one of the top sports since its growing so fast world wide.
- Graham Johnston (2016)
Rugby not even in the top 10 ?!!!
- Vipin Kaushal (2016)
Thanks for awesome post.
- Your List (2016)
This list is terrible. South africa are one of the world's top cricket sides and the country has a population of 49 million, yet Africa is not mentioned in the region column.. And what about rugby? A major sport in England, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Samoa, Fiji, France, Argentina and relatively big in Italy and growing in Japan. Are you really saying that Baseball, American football, basketball, volleyball, and table tennis have a larger global fan base than rugby? Please check your facts
- Shuttlecocker (2016)
Going back a couple of decades or more there were the World Rackets Championships. You can look it up. One racket sports athletes dominated over a period. You could not guess which one so I'll help you out....Badminton!
Yes, if you choose to miss out you will truly miss out, period!
- Shuttlecocker (2016)
Have they even looked up Badminton? It's got to be up there with tennis and table tennis. Come on are you joking? Get informed.
- Davido (2016)
Cricket is second and that is that you boys and girls must play that sport
- Jonathan (2016)
Where is finger skating it should be in top 5
- Dominic (2016)
basketball is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! should be number 1
- Fan (2016)
Soccer/football is, without a doubt, the #1 sport in the world. "American" football is the #1 sport in the U.S. In the U.S., soccer is considered "child care". Mostly played by youngsters in community or school programs. Disputing a sport's popularity because you find it boring is nonsense, and such a claim can be made for any sport. For me, it's golf (#9 in the world). I love to play golf, but put it on T.V. and I begin to snore. And most people in the U.S. would rather watch paint dry than sit through a soccer/football match.
- IanSankey (2016)
400m American Football fans?! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
- Trevor Eckrich (2016)
Cycling, you forgot that.
- Soccer sucks (2016)
soccer! sucks it has 0 contact and if you touch some body you get a stupid red card. America knows what he is talking about. there are some guys who could bench press the whole manchester soccer club whiel running faster than any of them could dream of
- Asap soccer sucks (2016)
i thought that was basketball?
- John Doe (2016)
I was an American spectator sport junkie, especially american football. It was a long withdrawal period but for the past 20 years is was sports free. It gave me more time to get out, take a hike, be with family, travel. However i had a bit of a relapse. But now i think one drug is better than many. And my "opium" was the world cup of 2010, that relapse was so worth it. I was blown away by these world football athletes. I still don't know the terminology and not much of the rules but i love the real world wide football.
- I mean they have to have many abilities a. they have to be anaerobic(that is they have to move and run an average of 10 kilometers a game b. aerobic, they have to have great bursts of speed c. agility in twisting their bodies, jumping, head, feet, and leg passes, great defense and all without using their hands !!!! and these guys have such great footwork they could probably win "dancing with the stars" lol, but seriously !
- There is one thing they should get rid of in my humble opinion and thats penalty shots(i mean the goal keeper is at such a disadvantage. if they are going to keep them i think the striker should kick the ball some 10 to 20 meters further away and/or the goalie should have one regular defensive player to defend and of course not use his hands(have you ever seen a regular player block a goal with his chest, back, legs or even jumping high and kicking his leg high in the air over his head ? i'd be grateful for an answer. and what parts of the body can a non goal keeper use. im pretty sure not his shoulder, correct ?
- Unfortunately i have seen little world football since. i don't have cable tv and in the US i doubt they have a world football or even american soccer channel. In 2010 it was great because i was watching a lot of the games for free. since then its impossible if you want to pay higher price or get locked into a plan by your isp. I know a big screen tv is best but im on a below the poverty line disability and without sattelite or cable ain't going to be able to do it.
- This may seem strange but my favorite game of the 2010 world cup was the excellent defense game win by Switzerland over eventual champion Spain in the round robin.
- Peace, love, joy and all the good stuff to all the people of the world.
- Thanks for letting me have my say
from usa(dismantle the US empire, and restore the US republic as a peaceful, non exploitative, equal, contributor member of the world's family of nations)
- Will (2016)
This is ridiculous where is netball
- None of your business (2016)
Soccer is much more interesting than any sport. Here are my reasons why: American Football is basically throwing in catching a weird shaped ball. Basketball is one of those sports where it is only fun to play not watch. Same with golf, baseball,table tennis, and field hockey. I don't have any background information on cricket so I can't say anything about it. Soccer is the best sport.
- Reed None of your business (2017)
You're dumb.. Here is my reason why: you said football is basically throwing and catching a weird shaped ball. Soccer is dull as phuk except when whiny euros are flopping on the ground and throwing a fit over a hip bump, then it's just ridiculous.
- DieListHaters (2016)
Hurray! We are arguing about a list of the most popular sports. Chill out people
- Aman Kashyap (2016)
Actually,i do agree that Football is by far the most popular game in the world. But one thing you ought to believe is that "CRICKET" is the most dominating sports. Reason: Limited to only a handful of countries, still it is indispuedly #2 and on its way to become #1
It is not just a sports in INDIA, it is a part of life.
- Reed Aman Kashyap (2017)
Ya but it's cricket. So other than 2 countries that have it, the rest of the world thinks it looks as stupid as curling. "oh look, he has all that gear on for a heavy ping pong ball. how cute. Now hit this baseball going 100mph you silly paddle slapper."
- Tony C Reed (2017)
A cricket ball is harder than a baseball, also travels 100mph and only the wicket keeper wears gloves to catch the ball. Baseball is a game of strength and skill with each player having a highly practiced skill set eg. The pitcher doesn't bat. Cricket requires each player to have a wider range of skills and incredibly quick reaction times. A baseball batter is trying to hit in a 90 degree arc whereas a cricket batsman has 360 degrees in which to hit a ball. A video of the top catches in cricket shows the spectacular skill. I enjoy watching both games and appreciate the skill involved. Both games at their worst can be incredibly boring but at their best are a great spectacle. For me, no sport compares to the drama of a close finish in a game of cricket. I've tried watching NFL but can't get over all the stoppages. A much better game in the highlights.
- Reed Tony C (2017)
Get back to me when they can make the bottom drop out of it with a knuckle or curve ball. A consistent ball is a predictable one. And you're swinging a boat oar ...
- Boris gorelenkov (2016)
American football and real hockey (ice) are the most interesting sports
- Kunal Lata Narangikar (2016)
"kabaadi " is gonna take them all down !
- Noone9 (2016)
There seem to be a lot of hapless unintelligent white trash from USA that ignorantly state sport superiority and attack real Football (Soccer) on incorrect grounds. Not surprising since the average IQ of an "American" is around 90. Since the unintelligent American seems to equalize greatness with money prowess their arguments can easily be debunked by simple statements:
- A) American Football Stadiums cost about the same as Real Football fields, i.e. Metlife Stadium $1.6 B Vs Wembley Stadium $1.5 B (not to argue as to the architectural abomination that Metlife is and how great Wembley is).
- B) The highest paid athletes in the world are: Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. Cam Newton is #7 out of top 10. The average European League Real Football superstar earns much more than the average NBA, NFL, MLB superstars.
- C) The average cost of "equipment" and "uniforms" is based on the level at which you want to play. "Soccer" is not cheap, high-end "soccer shoes" can cost $300 - $500+, uniforms cost about as much as can be afforded based on the league and level. "Soccer" is not blatantly cheap in comparison to American Football.
- However, none of that matters because having more money does not mean "superior". If that were the case then the United States could take their place at 1st World Mediocrity since the GDP per capita of USA is pretty pathetic in comparison to other 1st World Nations.
- In another set of arguments that are stated by the average American modern are stuff along the lines of physical strength and being "big" and "bulky".
- A) American Football players are NOT stronger than Real Football players, in fact since the legs have the strongest muscles in the body and Real Football players have the best cardiovascular physiques, a powerful "Soccer" player can be superior to a anabolic steroid American Football player.
- B) The average human does look like Real Football players, the average human DOES NOT look like NFL players or WWE wrestlers. No educated person would respect the WWE therefore based on grounds of physical bulkiness there is no reason to use that argument as positive.
- What is really important is the greatness of the sport, its cultural impact, how much of the world it unites and inspires. With that argument:
- A) There is no International competition in the world comparable to the FIFA World Cup. There is no professional league competition comparable to the UEFA Champions League.
- B) The world breathes Real Football. Everyone; America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia.
- C) It is the sport that keeps you on your toes and a single goal is reason to scream, cry, punch, kick, fight, laugh, and all the gamma of emotions.
- D) Real Football representing the world means that everyone is there not just the 1 out of 100K American Football black kids that managed to gain the respect of their white masters (since white "Americans" are so pathetic) by serving as their mascots.
I am sorry that I used such "big words" in my comment, I understand that the majority of "Americans" will not be able to understand my comments clearly so feel free to use a thesaurus; that is a dictionary of synonyms... errr... words that are the same and hopefully by reading and re-reading you might be able to get the grasp.
- Do not make any allegation of xenophobia as I do not hate "Americans", I love USA and I love the forefather's ideals of freedom and true democracy, but I do pity the uneducated patriots that do not understand the world, who are not bilingual/multilingual, and who think USA is greater than any other nation while clearly USA stands very low in comparison to most 1st World countries.
- Reed Noone9 (2017)
You skipped the part where soccer is 4 hours of nothing happening when euro trash isnt flopping on the ground and throwing a fit over rubbed elbows.
- Harold Vergara (2016)
soccer is boring.... you get a point for about a whole lot of minutes
- Cdrolly (2016)
It comes as a suprise that there is a world outside of america. Heres the shocker ... there is a lot more planet outside the america border... GASP 😂😂
- Reed cdrolly (2017)
Ya we know. We feed all of you when you aren't running to us for other help.
- Ezra (2016)
I love how most of the people arguing are Americans who are just mad that American football isn't as popular as they thought. they are just tryin to bash on football
- Your mum (2016)
Barca is the best. Messi is the best (Ronaldo is a hog and a wuss)
- Simon (2016)
Soccer is full of whining girls who cry every time someone gets near them, Grid Iron is a slow tactical game that is almost as boring to watch as soccer. AFL is far more intense and exciting that both of them. But out of everything I read the one thing that is more rubbish than anything else is that field hockey is rubbish, its a far faster, harder and more dangerous sport than soccer and as for British dominance?? Australia has beaten the poms in every international game this year! And is also ranked Number 1 in the world coming into the Olympics
- Nayanika Giri (2016)
swimming is the most active sport...a swimmer do more kicks than a soccer player..more flips than a tennis player ...more yards than a footballer and more sets than a volleyball player....
- Kelly Jonas (2016)
I agree with James Spank these sports in America are getting beyond ridiculous and it annoys me that England invented sports like cricket and rugby and America comes along and invents their own versions of them (american football and baseball) and those sports become more popular when really they shouldn't be because they're just copies of England's sports.
- Chris (2016)
why isn't AFL on there it RULESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
- KYKNOC (2016)
Soccer/football is the hardest sport to master, it is the most complicated to watch and it is the most athletic of the major sports by a far margin.
- I am an American, and a Nationalist American, we are the greatest nation on earth, we have the most money, we saved humanity in the second world war and we do have some of the greatest athletes on Earth... (Michael Jordan!!!)
- I grew up playing basketball/baseball and football, switched to MMA at 16-20, then long distance running at 22-25 finally at age 25 switched to soccer.. I have never played a more complete sport.. Not only do you get a brutal workout, but also increased coordination, and decision making. After a few years you get shredded legs, feet immune to stubbed toes and many other benefits. Basketball is close, but soccer edges it out. Thats why players like Kobe and Nash preferred soccer but chose bball because they could be all stars in basketball.
- Baseball players make the most money btw, then boxers, then football/basketball/soccer/nascar.. but who cares about the money, the argument is about the sport itself. Cricket/Baseball are absolute rubbish, you would get a better workout hanging out at the beach/lake.
- UFC/MMA is hard to catergorize with these other sports, since its a martial art..
- BTW MJ is the best athlete in modern history.. Pele is a close second.
- Scott (2016)
I don't care which sport is the most popular. I guarantee anyone who bashes baseball knows very little about it.
- Fifa4Ever (2016)
I never get to watch Fifa World Cup in the US. It Sucks. It sucks to be a Football fan in America when you can't watch it
- Will (2016)
my question is why is lacrosse not on the list
- Ali mostafa (2016)
Well,i watch football (soccer) for more than 25 yrs,i am a big fan of football,but i watch so many sports including the NFL,sport is all about passion and entertainment,don't devaluate from others passion,myself i feel so excited when messi nutmeged any defender meanwhile i hate real madraid and Ronaldo,i love kobe bryant and S.curry but i hate king james(he's so great) and off course i hate tom brady,so guys enjoy what u love and don't insult other's passion
- Mal (2016)
Why is Australia left out of the Soccer Fan list, much more popular than American Football for instance. (Domestic Soccer Final over 50,000 attendance) Thousands of teams from 5 year olds to seniors in every state.
- Mardmadook (2016)
no basketball over everything like what is this,there is more basketball than there is of any of the other sports
- Gagsiwewhfu (2016)
where is rugby in there it is now at #5
- Chase (2016)
I love American Football and I love Football and idc thats just how it is im sorry that us Americans can call it whatever we want but thats how it is and thats how it will always be! UNDERSTOOD?
- Mike_ United (2016)
I live in America but I hate the sports they made NASCAR makes me go to sleep baseball is super boring basket never liked it hockey is just big guys fighting over a small object American football is just sad rugby is American football's father American football is just big guys scared to get actually tackled the REAL FOOTBALL is the best sport hands down there's nothing to prove that it isn't the best
- Aryan Singh (2016)
Just saying Britain sucks at cricket and soccer so yeah
- Aditya Amar (2016)
CRICKET CRAZY COUNTRIES....UK INDIA PAK BAN SL AFGHAN NEPAL AUSTRALIA SOUTH AFRICA ZIM WINDIES NZ AND IT COVERS 250 TO 300 CRORE PEOPLE DURING WC...PROBABLY THE BEST SPORT ON EARTH..BUT MOST OF THE PEOPLE LIKE AMERICANS DONT KNOW ABOUT THE GAME THEY EVEN UN FIT FOR THE GAME..ITS ALL ABOUT SKILLS AND PATIENCE...CRICKET IS ABOSOLUTE ENTERTAINING GAME AND THE BEST...
- Hailey (2016)
I honestly think that people should shutup I mean yeah we call it soccer instead of football but it's still the same sport. Some of y'all are hating just cause we got pride. what. the. heck. I mean it's not our fault that we actually are proud of our country. Just like football, football is just another way of American pride and we play it and honestly I LOVE IT waaayyy more that soccer oops I mean "football". When we were in rather civil war which team won the team with all the gadgets or pride.... PRIDE so if you're just gonna keep on talking on and on about how America stinks. SUCK IT
- BenDoverUranus (2016)
ICC needs to get sorted and advertise & encourage cricket in South Korea, Japan, China ALREADY and make cricket THE MOST POPULAR sport in the world!
- Countries like Nepal, Afghanistan& Kenya are poorer than India so they don't give a damn about any sport! but ICC can make a killing selling tickets in countries like Japan.. ICC you morons! why won't you advertise cricket in rich countries!?
- BenDoverUranus (2016)
ICC needs to get sorted and advertise & encourage cricket in South Korea, Japan, China ALREADY and make cricket THE MOST POPULAR sport in the world!
- Countries like Nepal, Afghanistan & Kenya are poorer than India so they don't give a damn about any sport! but ICC can make a killing selling tickets in countries like Japan.. ICC you morons! why won't you advertise cricket in rich countries!?
- Yo mama (2016)
Deal with it soccer is number one sport in the world
- Andrew Strotman (2016)
Everybody needs to stop fighting because their is evidence that "soccer" is the most popular sport in the world. You can't argue with the facts. Soccer clubs are the richest sports teams because they have fans in every country. You can go to Seatle and ask whats their favorite soccer team is and a lot of them will say the sounders. You dont even have to look for soccer fans just walk up on a random person. You can do that in almost every major city in the world and they will say their team. Im not biased it can you go to London and ask what American football team they like or their favorite baseball team, 90% of them will have no idea what you're saying lol its the facts. Soccer is clearly, undeniably, the most popular sport in the "World"
- ME (2015)
- ME (2015)
this was obviously written by an american... no one besides america plays american football and football is the real name for soccer... in fact Basketball is played worldwide. if you count Aussie rule football and rugby as american football (which they are not) then maybe it could be considered played by all those other nations besides america
- Scones (2015)
Where is eSports?
- Rob Admin Scones (2015)
eSports does not fit my definition of a sport:
- "a human activity involving physical skill and exertion"
- Though having said that, you will still find it on my complete list of sports because I would like it to be a sport. http://www.topendsports.com...
- Paulie Allen (2015)
Enjoying this discussion, made me smile, so here are some facts ....
Here's the top-10 Wealthiest Clubs
- Real Madrid (soccer): $3.26 billion
- Dallas Cowboys (football): $3.2 billion *tie*
- New York Yankees (baseball): $3.2 billion *tie*
- Barcelona (soccer): $3.16 billion
- Manchester United (soccer): $3.1 billion
- Los Angeles Lakers (basketball): $2.6 billion *tie*
- New England Patriots (football): $2.6 billion *tie*
- New York Knicks (basketball): $2.5 billion
- Los Angeles Dodgers (baseball): $2.4 billion *tie*
- Washington Redskins (football): $2.4 billion *tie*
- Highest paid athletes
- Whatever your view suck it up, and also just to let you know that American football is bad, baseball is bad, basketball i love playing but again watching it now, just like all american sports, it stops every 5 minutes for a time out, and just so USA (the center of the world) its all rubbish! Money don't make it the most viewed or loved sport in the world, its the fan base and world view and FOOTBALL (not soccer) is a much better and faster game than American time out impact long throw wear padding USA USA USA football .
- DDQ75 (2015)
It is soccer!!!
- Mustafa Naqawe (2015)
LOL there isn't even 30 billion people in the world.
- Iplayball (2015)
And no one even mentioned volleyball.
All yall are talking about is what is best by pay, TV, and talk. Every think about what it means to the actual players and what roll it has in their life? Maybe you should think of that for a change, instead of ranting on like children about most popular sport.
- BRip (2015)
Soccer or "European Football" is what European men play while their wives are at work
- Tester Tester (2015)
It is actually futbol, not football James Spank
- Ncrdbl1 (2015)
Unfortunately one sport is left out due to the fact that the majority of the professional event are not on TV. But heavily followed weekly for as many as 40 weeks a year in some regions of the world. Then the major events shown on TV have massive world wide following. That is motorsports. A single minor form of motorsports in the US has over 2 million fans attend every week.Not taking in account other minor forms of motorsports or the major forms of motorsports in the US. There are also minor forms of motorsports in the rest of the world which have similar attendance figure. With all the different forms of motorsports in the world that complete locally every week. It is not beyond belief that year long attendance world wide doesn't hit 250 million without going into the major events. Most having attendance numbers of between 100,000 to 500.000 on race day event and between 200,000 and a million for the 3 to 4 day event. .
- Diego Alejandro Lucero (2015)
- Lee Berreth (2015)
You guys just can't wait to complain can you? Who cares if people call football soccer or soccer football? Be happy its the number one sport in the world and just stop complaining. Seriously, it does not matter at all what it's called, the game is still the same no matter what you call it.
- Cavs_Addict (2015)
Football Yeahhhh (I mean the real football you Americans call soccer)
- Wrong-Book Pro (2015)
Wrong, first of all it's football not soccer (no i am not from the uk, i am aussie) and football is 1st but rugby is 2nd and cricket is 3rd, field hockey is 4th
- Ray Liptak (2015)
Ok...seriously the rest of the world is lame. Soccer/football is one thing but volleyball? Cricket? Table tennis? Give me a break .
- Louis Levene Ray Liptak (2015)
table tennis is one of the greatest sports ever invented! i wish more Americans would play this sport I was born in Europe and it's reasonably popular there but here in america if you say ping pong they associate it with the game that involves getting drunk.
- Ray Liptak Louis Levene (2015)
It's not a sport, it's a game. Sports require having to have some physical ability. If a 50 year old guy with a heart condition can play it it's not a sport. Golf is another non sport
- Allison (2015)
Why not everybody just shut up about American football and soccer okay? I think it's stupid that some grown men and women are arguing over the names and roots of sports. I think we should just leave it the way it is and get on with our lives. I am from America and if you want to talk $#!% about me you can, I don't care about it. By the way, I am only 10 years old and I hope this message put some common sense into some of this ego filled heads (from BOTH America and England) of yours.
- TheSheriff (2015)
Jeez what stupid things people are arguing about. As a fan of both footballs (and really most sports on here, I'm a big sports fan all around) I hate when people argue about what sport is "better". We all have preferences, end of story.
- Jamie Meier (2015)
Oh look, a bunch of non Americans trashing American sports that they don't care about and obsessing over what we call them. Whats new? I'm so disgusted by the constant xenophobia regarding Americans that I encounter any time I read anything sport related. At this point I'm not even interested in engaging in this conversation. Here's a list of sports popular through the world and the commentary underneath consist of everyone and their mother tossing their negative, ignorant opinions about the sports that Americans like. Mind your own business, nobody asked you to watch. Now go home and talk about what the "yanks" are doing with your mummies and daddies, I'm sure they'll agree with you and everyone can have a great dinner.
- Saqib Zeb (2015)
cricket might not be that much popular outside Asia and Australia but still it has achieved some amazing records.. 2011 world cup was watched by 23 billion (appx.) viewers and 2015 world cup was watched by more than 19 billion viewers.. 2011 world cup semi final between Pakistan and India was watched by approximately 1 billion people around the world!!!
- Kyle Land (2015)
Americans are not the only ones who call it soccer. Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland all call it soccer. You can't expect Americans to start calling it football. That would be way too confusing
- -_- (2015)
how does cricket have more fans than basketball -_- so stupid list
- Erre (2015)
Best sports is one which you could play anywhere and doesn't require specific individual equipment. Football(soccer) and cricket qualifies this. 22 people can play these games simply with one ball or 1 bat and ball in case of cricket.
- Tudor Serafimov (2015)
Basketball its more popular then American football by far … no one in Europe knows players from American football but they all know Jordan. Shaquille o'neal, kobe, LeBron and so on
- MikeDonn (2015)
God baseball is so boring. If you want to waste some life hours go to a live game. they can take up to 5 hours of boring nothing. I'd rather watch concrete set in the pouring rain than go to another game!
- Ultimate frisbee (2014)
ultimate frisbee is growing popular as american football is declining. so ultimate will dominate pussy ass american handegg and americans will play ultimate frisbee FOREVER AND EVER!
ULTIMATE FRISBEE IS THE GREATEST SPORT EVER INVENTED BY MAN!!!!!!!
- Venkata Srinivasa Praveen (2014)
I will Not agree with it,Cricket must be a leading than soccer Because 2011 world cup was watched by 23.5(approx) billion through Television And 10 billion on online (apporx) What do u say about it
- Pawan Damase (2014)
USA games noones watch those except USA. football and cricket always rocks they will always...... India beats Pakistan in 2011 Cricket World Cup. Over 86 million people tuned in to watch, more than four times the number of people who tuned into watch the 2010 MLB World Series. hahaha see the records and then come here and talk.....do u even know hw many people watch football and cricket in the world...americans cant imagine....peoples are crazy fr these 2 games...they die for these 2 games....they leave everything fr these games...... i play both games....and no other games are like this...... i can understand every game iis good..... bt these 2 games when u play it fells gd and when u watch then also it feels awesome....i play other games too like volleyball and i enjoy playing volleyball a lot but when i watch it is boring.....and baseball, basket ball ...superbowl these r bad game....no one likes to watch these games.... no one even knows these games.... have any one ever seen 20 20 cricket world cup ....see T 20 world cup and then only u know wat is called thriller......
- Pawan Damase (2014)
there is no pint of discussion. i equally watch all the games but i find 2 games way more interesting than others that is football and cricket and these are the games which needs more strength than others...football needs a great strength, fitness, tricks, ...cricket needs a greath strength ,fitness, tricks, captaincy and patient too.... ((it can be understandable by those only who play these games)) .
- And if we compare these 2 games football is always interesting but an Interesting cricket match is more interesting than an interesting football match. When we gets interest ,In football it end very fast but in cricket when u get interest you watch every balls ..u sit for 6 hours.. U gets interest even if ball is missed .... Like yesterdays match.... Australia vs newzeland... That was the bowling war.. i know why cricket is mot more popular in american countries.... if you want to get intrest in any game you should play that game first or you should know everything abt that game. americans countries knows abt football but they dont know anything abt cricket.. and they dont have cricket team in south america and north america........ first of all for those who wants a quick cricket game...let me tell you there are 3 formats in cricket 1> one day cricket (6 hour game - which is the balance of classical cricket and intrest) 2> 20 20 cricket (i think all the people who think cricket is boring should watch next 20-20 cricket world cup...its specially for those who wants to get thrill in every seconds...) 3> test format (its a classical cricket and very boring ...its just to check capabilities , strength, patient and class... only old classical people watch this 1..) i know abt both of these games and we play both of the games and we wont miss 1 single match of these football and cricket so i can say that bcz i know wat these games are......so if u dont knw anything abt the game hw can anyone say that this is better and this is not?
- And everyone in this world knows americans (USA people not south american and central americans).....they are happy with their borin games like base ball...superbowl.....basket balls......noone watches these..... football and cricket rocks.....and they will always...... no one in the earth can replace these 2 games....
- Nova (2014)
Its football morons not soccer.
- Guest (2014)
what u people talking about soccer is number one!!!! sport in the world\
- Skye Jeffrey (2014)
I completely agree with James Spark. America just don't want to be a fan of anything from Britain because of the past and what show-offs they are. Football or 'Soccer' is better than a ugly egg touching the ground.
- ANISH PRADHAN (2014)
I am not american but I still agree with all real FOOTBALL fans
- CC landers (2014)
List is clearly wrong! NFL obvious 1st place, any denial should hunt down some sort of internet machine in their village and watch the NFL make the Power and money that rules them!
- Dany Bravo (2014)
I think Tennis has more popularity than Cricket and Field Hockey.
- Joe Johnson (2014)
The U.S made it further than England in the World Cup, the U.S will dominate every major sport in not too long
- Someone who know sport history (2014)
The term soccer was coined by a Brit.. Learn your history before bashing sports, mate.
- Mohsen (2014)
only badminton. my life is badminton. my love is badminton <3
- Nirbhay Narang (2014)
The British think of themselves as a dominant race , but sadly they are not . Just because they ruled over countries bigger than their own does not meant that they are better than the others. Plus , India is much better in hockey than the British !
- Thyco (2014)
im sorry but there is no way that gridiron is more popular than AFL or League or Union in australia
- Aditya oberoi (2014)
- Platano (2013)
I think that Baseball should be much higher than 7. The sport is becoming very popular in the UK and Australia as well.
- Jeff_albertson Platano (2014)
problem is it is dying in the US especially in the 12-25yr old segment, the next generation of fans.
the past 2-3 years, polls have shown that NFL still leads in that age group, then its soccer, followed a little behind by basketball and far behind is baseball with TWICE less than soccer. Hockey is even lower than that.
- Baseball is to the american empire what cricket is to the english: played by countries that were owned by these two herpes of civilization so you have Japan, Korea, Taiwan and a few others there as well as Mexico,a few central american and south american countries and a few islands like Cuba/ Dom.Republic. I dont think those pockets make it a true international sport like soccer, basket, volleyball and even handball.And no, its not popular in the UK. Trust me, its at the quiddich level. Just like american football is in italy or ice hockey in the middle east.
- Pook Wook Platano (2014)
WHY? It's freakin lazy sports in which you barely ever run and full of steroid injected players so they can hit home runs. I ABSOLUTLY HATE BASEBALL!
- Manish Pook Wook (2014)
the most diciplined and famous game most be cricket and socker is no way popular then cricket
- Jj manish (2014)
Me too.,absolutely no athleticism involved,the most crappy but overrated sorry excuse of a sport the world
has ever seen
- Ali mostafa (2014)
the names dont matter.i'm from egypt i'm a big football fan watching it over years also i started watching american football i find it very exciting and i'd love being a GB packers fan
- Bobby Jones (2014)
Field hockey over Real Hockey -what is wrong with this world!!!????
- Basketball Bloke Bobby Jones (2014)
field hockey is real hockey. the original hockey. the far more popular hockey. ice hockey is just a recent derivative of real hockey.
- StopRacism Bobby Jones (2014)
Maybe it's because people can't afford to build a rink, or perhaps because there isn't a lot of ice in most countries? C'mon use your brain Bobby
- Daan Bobby Jones (2014)
its cheaper that's how easy it is, but i prefer ice above field hockey, because field hockey is a good concept as a sport, but the way its played these days is just plain stupid. because of penalty corners the balance of the game is not right. You cant defend properly because the defending team is always disadvantaged..