Who is the All Time Greatest Basketball Player?
Is Michael Jordan the greatest basketball player ever? Not everyone will agree - there have been some great basketball players over the years, but it is sometimes difficult to compare players from different eras, as they never get to play head to head, under the same conditions. This makes it hard to compare, but we are going to do it anyway.
We have compiled a list of the greatest basketballer ever to play the game, which you can vote on, with the winner placed on the shortlist of the all time greatest athlete ever (all sports). A somewhat similar poll to determine the Greatest Basketball Athlete of All Time was conducted on the ESPN Sport Science website in 2012 - looking for the greatest athlete, not player, from the sport of basketball.
The list below of 15 nominees for the greatest ever male basketball player has been compiled using the information above, other published lists and visitor feedback. Cast your vote on who you think is the greatest male basketball player ever. The winner is to be placed on the shortlist of the all time greatest athlete ever (from all sports).
|Bill Russell||11 NBA titles, 5 MVP awards, Olympic Gold|
|Julius Erving||1 NBA title, 1 MVP (NBA).|
|Kareem Abdul-Jabbar||6 NBA Titles, 6 MVP awards|
|Kobe Bryant||5 NBA titles, 1 MVP award|
|Larry Bird||3 NBA titles, 3 MVP awards, Olympic Gold|
|Lebron James||1 NBA title, 3 MVP awards, Olympic Gold|
|Magic Johnson||5 NBA titles, 3 MVP awards, Olympic Gold,|
|Michael Jordan||6 NBA titles, 5 MVP awards, two Olympic Gold Medals and an NCAA title.|
|Oscar Robertson||1 NBA title, 1 MVP award, Olympic Gold|
|Shaquille O’Neal||4 NBA titles, 1 MVP award, Olympic Gold.|
|Wilt Chamberlain||2 NBA titles, 4 MVP awards|
- Vote for who you think is the greatest male basketball player ever.
- More about basketball
- All time greatest index of sports
- Other sport specific lists
- Basketball player LeBron James was named the world's fittest male athlete in 2014
Commenting is closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- Ray (2013)
he's the Icon of an basketball player. early 80's NBA is not famous. because of MJ his passion and moves, NBA became famous.
- George Marshall (2015)
There should never ever be a comparison...MJ is hands down the greatest. It's not just the numbers, it is his sheer will to win in an era where there were many greats. TO compare Michael to James or anyone else is not only disrespectful of MJ, but unfair to the others.
- Dustin Cobb (2016)
It's wilt chamberlain. He beat Jim Brown in a foot race high jumped at least 6"11" and benched 550 pounds. He smoked magic in 1981 a d blocked all his shots. MJ couldn't do that in his prime. It's ridiculous ppl say Jordans the greatest. The real truth is.
#1 wilt chamberlain
#2 pistol Pete
#3 Elgin Baylor
#4 Earl the pearl
#5 Oscar Robertson
#6 Michael Jordan
- Amanda Nemaric (2016)
begrudgingly Michael Jordan
- Bob (2016)
Yeah, LeBron James. One (1) NBA title and lots of my guys. He'll lose this year as well. Should not be on this list. He tries to make up teams and still can't get an NBA titles. Now he has others attempting to do the same thing. it Has to be the Celtics of the 60' Magic or Bird!!! Although I loved the Big "O"!!!
- Iteoluwa Salako (2015)
Wilt Chamberlain he made 100 points and 55 rebounds in a single game think about it
- Julie Walter Santo Iteoluwa Salako (2017)
Ya with no shoot clocks
- Jo (2014)
I love MJ but Kareem is not far from second
- Ryan (2014)
Why is allen iverson even up there.? I loved him, but is there one person who even thinks he's close to the best ever? That's what this is about. Not top 30.
- Clay (2014)
i love mj, but he's going to have such a bias because he is so famous. Id like to see what he, and the other players considered for the top ten had to say. MJ is obviously everyones favorite including me.
- Mitchell (2013)
MJ is the worlds best basketball player of all time :D
- Mitchell (2013)
I think MJ is the worlds best basketball player of all time :)
- Mitchell (2013)
I think Michael Jordan is the worlds best basketball player because of how popular and athletic, he has made over 100 records. In my opinion MJ is the best basketball of all time
- Stolojan (2013)
Mickael Jordan of course. A good question was : who is the second best basketball player of all time after the master MJ,
- That is stupid I don't see Kevin Durant's name on there he should be nominated get ur mind straight people!! (from Anounamus, Mar 2013)
- Michael Jordan will always be the greatest that ever played.....hands down! (from David R. Brown, Mar 2013)
- Michael Jordan all the way!! (from lil JB, Mar 2013)
- Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever (from JB, Feb 2013)
- Michael Jordan, no question, is the best baseketball player ever. You don't see many people who saw Michael Jordann play switch to Kobe Byrant. Most youngesters are loyal to Kobe only beacause they didn't see MJ in his prime. Btw if there was no hand-checking back then MJ would've averaged 45-50 ppg. (from Kenneth Wood, Jan 2013)
- It's wilt chamberlain ... people say the sky hook was never blocked ... wilt blocked it twice in one position
- MICHAEL JEFFEREY JORDAN IS THE GREATEST EVER HE TRANSCENDED BASKETBALL AND MADE IT WHAT IT IS TODAY 9from Keeosha, Dec 2012)
- Michael Jordan is the GOAT and it can't be argued.<period. idc if Michael Jordan gets out voted. Put him anything less than first and your name/site looses a little creditably. (from jeffrey, Nov 2012)
- Michel Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, and few other were all great, great basketball players, but none of them was or every be the all round basketball player as Pete Maravich was, he could do it all. Thank You (from Richard Taylor, Aug 2012)
- kobe bryant is the best basketball player ever (from bB, June 2012)
- I say Michel Jordan (from Sabrina, June 2012)
- Hakeem Olajuwon (from Ryan lee, Jan 2012)
- I think Michael Jordan. (from Vikki Jay, Dec 2011)
- Suggestion: Elgin Baylor and Jerry West (from D'Caran Anderson, Sept 2011)
- Dwyane Wade (suggested by Mitchell, March 2011)
- Lebron James (suggested by Lim Ming Lip)