There are several key attributes that make a good basketball player. Overall, a good basketball player is someone who possesses a combination of these attributes and can apply them effectively during a game. Who has all these attributes, see our list of the greatest basketball players of all time.
- Physical attributes such as speed, agility, strength, endurance, and jumping ability. See more about Fitness for Basketball.
- Technical skills such as shooting, ball handling, passing, and footwork. See more about Basketball Technique.
- Tactical knowledge, such as understanding of plays, positioning, and spacing on the court.
- Mental attributes such as determination, decision-making, focus, and the ability to perform under pressure. See more about Sport Psychology.
- Be a team player, have good work ethic, coachability and attitude.
- Good health, injury free and proper nutrition. See more about Sports Nutrition.
- A combination of both offensive and defensive skills.
- The ability to adapt to various playing styles and strategies.
- A strong understanding of the game, and the ability to read and react to different situations on the court.
- Good communication skills to work well with teammates.
How important are each of these factors? See our survey of which factors make successful basketball players?
- Fitness for Basketball
- NBA Combine
- Basketball Polls
- Sports Nutrition for Basketball
- Warming-up for basketball
- POLL: factors of successf for basketball