The Surrey County Fire Fighters Service requires new recruits to undergo fitness assessments as part of the recruitment process. Below is some information about the fitness requirements and standards. This information is presented for discussion and may be out of date - for the latest information see official sources. See also other UK Fire Departments.
Applicants must complete a practical and physical assessment
Practical: Applicants will be tested in the five different areas listed below. In order to reach the standard, applicants must be successful in all five tests. All five of the practical tests will be conducted in the full fire kit.
- Dead lift
- Ladder extension
- Ladder ascent and descent
- Enclosed space (Breathing Apparatus)
- Hose running
Physical: Applicants will be tested in the three different areas listed below.
information from May 2007
- Chester Treadmill Test — a walking multistage treadmill test of aerobic capacity, developed by Professor Kevin Sykes from the University of Chester, specifically developed for the Fire Service of England and Wales.
- See also other UK Fire Departments.
- See the pages on fitness testing for: Navy, Army, Air Force, Law Enforcement (Police), and general forces tests.
- Poll: Should women have the same fitness testing standards as men?