Diver Shoulder Flexibility Test
This is a simple test of shoulder flexibility. While lying face down with the hands above the head and together, the subject tries to raise them as high as possible.
purpose: to measure shoulder flexibility
equipment required: ruler or measuring tape, a short stick or pen
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: The subject lies flat on a mat, facing down, with the forehead touching the mat. The subject holds their arms above the head, arms outstretched, and holds a stick by both hands. The subject then raises their arms as high as they can while the forehead remains touching the mat.
scoring: Measure from the floor to the stick.
variations: the height lifted may depend on the distance bwetween the hands, so this should be recorded.
target population: This test has been used as an assessment of the water entry position for divers.
- Shoulder Flex Test — lift a stick over the head to behind the back, maintaining the hand grip on the object.
- Shoulder Circumduction — a sliding handle is held in the hands and passed over the head.
- Shoulder Rotation: Acuflex III — lift a bar from behind the back, with the hands as close together as possible. The result is adjusted for biacromial width.
- List of Flexibility Tests
- Flexibility Test Videos
- See also the shoulder flexibility exercises on this list of stretches
- Flexibility Store — items to measure flexibility.
- Stretching Guidelines
- Fitness Testing for Divers