Shoulder Flexibility Test
This is a simple shoulder rotation flexibility test, using just a long solid object. A similar, though more complex flexibility test of the shoulder, which accounts for individual shoulder width, is the Shoulder Circumduction Test.
purpose: To test the flexibility of the shoulder joint, which is important for injury prevention and in particular is important in swimming, racket sports and throwing sports.
equipment required: stick or towel, ruler or tape measure.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: Start by holding a towel or a stick in front of the body with both hands wide apart and palms facing downwards. Lift the stick over the head to behind the back, maintaining the hand grip on the object. Repeat the test, moving hands closer together each time until the movement cannot be completed. Alternatively, if your hands can slide along the stick or ruler, start with the hands close together, and as you swing the object over your head, slowly slide the hands apart just enough to enable it to go over your head and behind you. Repeat a few times.
scoring: measure the minimum distance between hands that was still able to be passed over the head.
disadvantages: Variations in arm length and shoulder width can make comparisons between individuals misleading.
- Shoulder Circumduction — a sliding handle is held in the hands and passed over the head.
- Shoulder Rotation: Acuflex III — lift a bar from behind the back, with the hands as close together as possible. The result is adjusted for biacrominal width.
- Shoulder Raise — face down with hands above the head and together, raise them as high as possible.
- Lst of more flexibility tests
- Flexibility Test Videos
- See also the shoulder flexibility exercises on this list of stretches
- Flexibility Store — items to measure flexibility.