2-km Run Test Results
The 2-km run test (2000 meters / 1.24 miles) is one of many versions of the endurance walking or running test. Below are some results of athletes from a range of sports. See also the 2km run test world bests.
Comparing scores in the 2km run test is difficult, particularly as the test is often run outdoors and the effects of the environmental conditions (wind, heat, cold) can greatly affect the results. Other factors that may affect the variability of results include the amount of warm-up, motivation of the participants and the amount of encouragement given. Below are some of the test scores that have been found, though not all of them have been confirmed as accurate.
- The Sri Lankan cricket team replaced the yo-yo test with the 2km run as its fitness standard. The minimum score they require is 2 Kilometer distance within a time frame of 8 minutes and 35 seconds. If they fail, the payer can do attempt the test again within 40 days.
- In 2021, the 2km run test was added to the assessment for the Indian Cricket team. According to a report in The Indian Express, the benchmark for the pace bowlers would be 8 minutes and 15 seconds, and the batsmen, spinners and wicket-keepers would have to cover the 2km distance in 8 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Australian pace female bowler Megan Schutt ran a PB of 8.22 l ("Schutt tears up the track after iso downtime " https://www.cricket.com.au, 4 August 2020)
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes ran a sub-seven-minute trial ahead of the 2019 Ashes (from The Indian Express "2k time trial: Why cricketers will have to train and think like middle-distance runners now".
- After a fitness kick in 2018, Australian batsman Usman Khawaja achieved a PB of about 7:30 in his 2km time trial ("Lighter, fitter, faster: Khawaja 2.0" https://www.cricket.com.au, 13 August 2018)
- The 2000m (2km) world record is 4:44.79 by Maroccan Hicham El Guerrouj set on 07 Sept 1999. For females, the world record is 5:23.75 by Ethiopian Genzebe Dibaba set on 07 Feb 2017 (from official IAAF records, retrieved Dec 2018) - see best all-time results)
In 2017 the AFL combine changed their running endurance test from the 3km run to the 2 km run test.
- At the 2018 AFL combine, the best performer was Jacob Kennerley who ran 6:04. For the women, the best result was 7:14 by Nina Morrison.
- At the 2017 AFL combine, the best performer was Dylan Moore who ran 6:09. For the women, the best run was 7min 29sec by Bridie Kennedy.
- Rugby 7s Aussie captain Ed Jenkins who weighs 95kg clocked 6 minutes 40 seconds in a recent 2km time trial, behind teammate Tom Cusack, who posted an amazing 6:30 (amazing considering that Cusack is a forward and weighs 105kg). (from the https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au, January 30, 2016)
- An article in the Perth Sunday Times listed the fitness requirements for a range of sports. It stated that the players in the West Australian team Perth Glory team must run 2km in under 7 minutes (from The Sunday Times, Jan 10, 2010).
- 2km run test world bests
- Procedures for the 2 km run test aerobic fitness test
- Other fitness test results
- World Record fitness testing scores
- More Scores? I scan the internet for the latest athlete results. If you know of something I have missed, I would love to hear from you.