The unusual sport of racing in bathtubs, called bathtubbing, has been around for along time. There are many variations, and there appears to be a few World Championships held around the world. The bath tub can be either propelled by a motor, or paddled like a canoe.
One such event had the following races:
- 100m individual time trial - race against the stopwatch around a 100m circuit.
- Multi-Bathtub races - up to 4 bathtubs racing at a time around a 100m circuit.
- Synchronized Bathtubbing - 2 people in a bathtub facing each other one must paddle backwards while the other paddles forwards. The pair must negotiate the 100m course in the quickest time.
The Loyal Nanaimo Bathtub Society organizes an event that was first held in 1967, in which motor powered bathtubs race over a 36 mile course. The first event was mayhem on the water, which resulted in rules being put in place to limit the horsepower of the boats (baths).
- See the similar Raft Racing
- See also the similar Milk Carton Regatta and Darwin Beer Can Regatta
- Complete list of unusual sports
- Videos of unusual sports