The yo-yo is a popular toy consisting of a string connected to an axle connecting two disks. But to some people it is not just a toy. There are major competitions held throughout the world.
There is a worldwide competitive circuit of yo-yo tournaments, which culminate in the World Yo-Yo Contest, run by the International Yo-Yo Federation (IYYF). The competition was first held in 1932, and is now held annually. It is the most prestigious yo-yo competition in the world.
The World Yo-Yo Contest has six championship divisions. There are other competition divisions that have been used in the past, or are just not part of the World Yo-Yo Contest.
- Single Hand String Trick - using a long spinning yo-yo to perform tricks that typically require manipulation of the string.
- Two Hands Looping Trick - using two yo-yos simultaneously to perform reciprocating or looping maneuvers.
- Two Hands String Trick - using two long spinning yo-yos and performs tricks with both simultaneously.
- Offstring - using an offstring yo-yo, often releasing the yo-yo into the air and attempting to catch it on the string.
- Counterweight - using a yo-yo with a counterweight on the other end of the string rather than having it attached to a finger.
- Artistic Performance - using any type of yo-yo or some other prop for an open-ended performance that emphasizes choreography and stage presence.
- Cup Stacking — stack a number of plastic cups in a pre-determined sequence as fast as possible.
- Speedcubing — players solve single piece 3D puzzles in the quickest time possible.
- Joggling — running (jogging) races while juggling.
- The complete list of all sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports
- The yo-yo fitness test, nothing to do with playing with a yo-yo