The naval pentathlon is an individual and team competition for men and women, made up of five events: obstacle course, life-saving swimming, utility swimming, seamanship, and amphibious cross-country. It is one of the sports at the World Military Championships and Military World Games, and there is also the Naval Pentathlon World Championship.
Obstacle Course — the obstacle course component for men is over 305 meters with 10 obstacles (women do 280 meters and 9 obstacles). The obstacles include a hurdle, balance beam, barrel, Irish table, grenade throwing, climbing net, long jump, tunnel, combination obstacle (Parallel wire, climbing planks, yard and footrope) and sloping wire (males only).
Life-saving swimming — The aim is to rescue and transport a mannequin, simulating a life-saving situation. The men perform part of the competition dressed in a uniform with a minimum weight of four hundred grams. After swimming 50 meters (the first 15 meters underwater), the competitor has to retrieve the mannequin from a depth of 3 meters and transport it to the end of the 75-meter course without letting it go.
Utility swimming — There are four obstacles to overcome (though the first does not occur in the women’s version). First the athlete must swim 25 meters while carrying a 3kg rifle replica. Then pass under a obstacle at a depth of three meters, then over the third obstacle. Lastly, they disconnect a fire hose attached three meters underwater and continue to the other end of the pool to the finish.
Seamanship competition — the athlete has to demonstrate skill with the mast, the cable, and the boat and also has to be accurate in throwing a line.
Amphibious cross-country — this event consists of a 2,500m run interspersed with the tasks of shooting, rowing, and grenade throwing.
- Military Pentathlon — a competition involving a shooting phase, obstacle run, obstacle swimming, grenade throwing, and cross-country running.
- Modern Pentathlon — an Olympic sport that comprises five events: fencing, 200m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a combined event of pistol shooting and 3200m cross country run.
- Aeronautical Pentathlon — despite the name, the sport has 6 events: shooting, fencing, orienteering, basketball skills, obstacle course and swimming.
- Obstacle Course Racing — an event requiring an athlete to run through a variety of different obstacles.
- Cross-country Running — distance running races over natural terrain.
- Surf Lifesaving — competitions consist of performing various tasks performed by lifeguards on the beach.
- About the sport of Modern Pentathlon at the Olympics
- Military Patrol was a sport at the Olympic Games
- List of Multi-Sport Sports — sports involving two or more sports
- About the World Military Games
- Fitness testing for the Navy
- There was a swimming race for sailors at the 1896 Olympics
- There was a swimming obstacle race at the 1900 Olympics
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports